PDA

View Full Version : Bluestone steps-SQUIZZY here's how we set them

MarcusLndscp
10-04-2005, 06:45 PM
A few weeks back there was a thread about step installation and I believe Squizzy asked how we set them. Thought I'd show you what we use...it's a huge time saver and very easy to use.

mbella
10-04-2005, 07:41 PM
Nice work Marc. I was just wondering, why did you start at the bottom? KIDDING

cgland
10-04-2005, 08:12 PM
Marc - All wrong! Install a massive framework system, measure each step for height and excavate each one individually, then install steps from the top down using a 5lb sledge to pack stone underneath each riser. As you set the next step down, rent another mini-x to help raise the previous step so that you can slide the new one underneath it.......Repeat! Follow these instructions and in 120 man hours you will ave a nice set of steps.

P.S. Looks great!

Chris

MarcusLndscp
10-04-2005, 09:17 PM
:D Ah........no comment

cgland
10-04-2005, 10:10 PM
LOL! :p

Chris

vntgrcr
10-05-2005, 06:46 PM
Hello Marc, the steps look great. I am going to go off thread a little, but how do you like that Kubota? What size/lb. rating is it? I am in the market for a new excavator and am looking for opinions. Thanks for any help.
David

kris
10-05-2005, 09:11 PM
nice job..looks like the perfect setup for the task.

GreenMonster
10-05-2005, 09:59 PM
looks good Marcus.

Who ran the excavator? I know you didn't drive down there.

Whatta the chances of borrowing your rigging for a weekend?

neversatisfiedj
10-06-2005, 12:38 PM
That is a kick a** mini x

MarcusLndscp
10-06-2005, 06:43 PM
Hey Mark
Who do you think ran the excavator??? I'll knock your socks off with an ex!!! :D I'll tell you what though......from the pics it doesn't look too bad but it is a wicked steep slope and the only access was beteween a huge hemlock and the deck. Total of the opening was 6'6" and the machine measures at 6'. Oh and I was going to be shot if I broke any limbs off the hemlock. You can't see it but I held the machine up with the bucket keeping the tracks level while walking out over the bank and then was able to lower the blade to grab onto a stump to keep me hovering out therewhile we worked. It started raining as we came close to completion and I almost didn't make it back out because everything greased up real good. After about 2 minutes of swinging around and pushing and pulling with the bucket she came right out. I will admit I was worrying about making the call to get me out...thank goodness there was no need for that call though.
And yes to all who have commented on the machine it does kick a$$ and I would reccomend demoing one.

GreenMonster
10-06-2005, 07:45 PM
Hey Mark
Who do you think ran the excavator??? I'll knock your socks off with an ex!!! :D I'll tell you what though......from the pics it doesn't look too bad but it is a wicked steep slope and the only access was beteween a huge hemlock and the deck. Total of the opening was 6'6" and the machine measures at 6'. Oh and I was going to be shot if I broke any limbs off the hemlock. You can't see it but I held the machine up with the bucket keeping the tracks level while walking out over the bank and then was able to lower the blade to grab onto a stump to keep me hovering out therewhile we worked. It started raining as we came close to completion and I almost didn't make it back out because everything greased up real good. After about 2 minutes of swinging around and pushing and pulling with the bucket she came right out. I will admit I was worrying about making the call to get me out...thank goodness there was no need for that call though.
And yes to all who have commented on the machine it does kick a$$ and I would reccomend demoing one.

Quit kiddin' around. Who ran the machine?

MarcusLndscp
10-06-2005, 08:05 PM
Okay, I'll be honest. This ex we have is a new prototype and it's main feature is that it does not need an operator. Many moons ago back when we were all still apes someone realized a supernatural power in RICE. Yes I said it rice. All you do is dump a 5 lb bag of rice in the "rice tank" and then add equal parts water. Now here's the crucial part....you must have all your crew members stand in a circle with their arms coming together at one central point thus creating something called Fengshuiaway. At this moment if all other factors are correct and your rice has heated up creating a sticky yet still firm food many many winds will start swirling around your Fengshuiaway symbol. All at once your crew members break free from the ancient Fengshuiaway symbol and begin the traditional wax on wax off motion as demonstrated in the movie Karate Kid. Then with one loud scream everyone one says "POWER UP KUBOTA"
There you have it, the machione just starts working away as if it had an operator. You don't need to even tell it what to do. It just knows. Further maintenance includes proper rice levels in the rice tank and occasionally adding additonal soy sauce lubricant.
Any other questions on this machine please visit their website. WWW.B*LLSH%T.com
Take it easy Mark :D

mbella
10-06-2005, 09:05 PM
Mark, we say "power up kubuddha" and like you said, it just knows what to do.

MarcusLndscp
10-06-2005, 09:14 PM
Oh so you're the other contractor who has one of these prototypes. My better half and I just had take out for dinner. When we do I save the left over duck sauce as a treat for the machine. You just squirt a little on the tracks and it just loves it. When I did this last week I heard a ghostly voice from above say "ah sankyu sankyu very much" It was very odd

GreenMonster
10-06-2005, 10:10 PM
Hey Mark, you're actually pretty funny tonite. Typically, I find you rather dull and bland :waving:

What size was that rice powered unit anyway?

MarcusLndscp
10-07-2005, 07:15 PM
Bland and dull huh? Why do you insist on stalking me then??? Enough is enough Mark...seriously! :angry:

mbella
10-07-2005, 07:29 PM
Oh my god! That is serious.

Marc, I'm afraid to say, with the Red Sox sinking faster than the Titanic, and the Patriots not far behind, it seems you have become the focus of the Monster's obsession. Your only hope is that the Monster is a Bruin's fan and with the NHL season you may get some relief.

Good luck.

(BTW, your pic is funny as hell)

cgland
10-07-2005, 10:05 PM
ROFLMAO!!!!!!! :laugh: Mike did that to me once. It took me 2 days to remove the grafitti.

Chris

Squizzy246B
10-08-2005, 06:08 AM
Geee whizz...you don't come on the forum for awhile and all this happens ;)

1. Thanks for the pic's Marcus, very helpful, much appreciated

2. You stole my excavator...Give it Back!...but leave the thumb on :p

3. I assume the rollers for the slings on the spreader bar is for levelling the stones???

4. What is the extra hydraulics on the blade??

5. Rather than use the KarmaSutra or FwengShui to run your Kubota you need a Johnny, its the next best thing to a remote control. .. If you don't know what a Johnny is see attached pic of my Johnny clowning around in our Dump Truck...he's cheap to run so long as I give him coffee and watermelon everyday :D

Thanks again.

MarcusLndscp
10-08-2005, 09:06 AM
Hi Squizzy
The rollers do help keep the stone level, they just let the straps move free so you don't have to worry about getting your straps centered so the stones lift level.
The extra hydraulics on the blade allow the blade to angle left and right. In the cab you have the control that lifts the blade up and down, well if you move that controller left and right it controls your angle. Some guys use it and and some don't. Some of the older guys are use to having the straight blade so that's the way they continue to grade driveways or whatever they're doing.

Squizzy246B
10-08-2005, 09:24 AM
Marcus, thanks. We don't see the angle blade option down here too much.

The stone looks good, do you have any probs getting the slings out?

GreenMonster
10-08-2005, 11:25 AM
Bland and dull huh? Why do you insist on stalking me then??? Enough is enough Mark...seriously! :angry:

ROFLMAO!!!

That was my last can of paint ya know! :laugh:

sheshovel
10-08-2005, 08:51 PM
Marc - All wrong! Install a massive framework system, measure each step for height and excavate each one individually, then install steps from the top down using a 5lb sledge to pack stone underneath each riser. As you set the next step down, rent another mini-x to help raise the previous step so that you can slide the new one underneath it.......Repeat! Follow these instructions and in 120 man hours you will ave a nice set of steps.

P.S. Looks great!

Chris

You guys don't hafta be a bunch of
smart azzes,OK?
Unless you can't help yourselves of coarse.
And I know you just can't.....
and I don't really blame you.
The only way you know how to judge somebody is what you read of them on here.
So really I don't blame you for laughing at me.

cgland
10-08-2005, 10:27 PM
Ease up Sheshovel! It's all good! Nobody is making fun of anyone. It's just a Joke! I didn't know you were so sensitive. :D

Chris

MarcusLndscp
10-09-2005, 02:02 AM
No probs with getting the straps out squizzy. We either use a large digging/pry bar to lift the edge to get them out or set the edge of the stone on the point of a grade or tree stake then take the straps out and twist the stakes until they come out. Usually they pop right out.

So that's why you didn't fully write out "Green" Mark.....you ran out of paint. I thought you didn't have enough surface area of rock to write on. Enjoying the rain? I just heard that we had a landslide down the road a couple miles from me that completely covered and closed down route 11!!! The water is literally only a few feet from finish floor of my place. Our basement has over a foot of water in it because the river that's 10 feet from the back of the house is so damn high. Usually the river or brook is only about 12 -15 feet wide and right now it's about 40-50 feet wide!!! ;) :help: I hope we don't need to leave the area. I hear we're suppose to get rain for 3 or 4 days straight. We'll see. If you all don't hear from me anytime soon please call FEMA for me. Oh wait maybe they won't be of much help, oh call anyway it can't hurt can it.

GreenMonster
10-09-2005, 07:33 PM
So that's why you didn't fully write out "Green" Mark.....you ran out of paint. I thought you didn't have enough surface area of rock to write on. Enjoying the rain? I just heard that we had a landslide down the road a couple miles from me that completely covered and closed down route 11!!! The water is literally only a few feet from finish floor of my place. Our basement has over a foot of water in it because the river that's 10 feet from the back of the house is so damn high. Usually the river or brook is only about 12 -15 feet wide and right now it's about 40-50 feet wide!!! ;) :help: I hope we don't need to leave the area. I hear we're suppose to get rain for 3 or 4 days straight. We'll see. If you all don't hear from me anytime soon please call FEMA for me. Oh wait maybe they won't be of much help, oh call anyway it can't hurt can it.

yeah, the lake I'm on is as high as I've ever seen it. To boot, the state has scheduled us for "rapid draw-down" this year, meaning they are quickly dropping it 4' so folks can work on their docks and beaches. They do that every 3 years or so. I wonder what they'll do now??? rapid draw-down will likely flood somebody else out ;)

Went over to a buddy's house in T'boro today. Water running pretty heavy along the sides of the roads, and a washout on 171 down on my end. It was right around a corner. We almost went swimming :D

Good luck over on your side.

MarcusLndscp
10-09-2005, 11:09 PM
Well, we're alive Mark. The water rose to within 2 feet of our finish floor. That little 15 foot wide brook I paced of at about 100'! There is a bridge next to us that the brook goes under and the water was going right over the top. I've never seen anything like it. Once the rain stopped the water level slowly started going down so you could see about a foot under the bridge and now tonight it's finally back down where I'm not worried about it although it is still much higher than normal.
Now tomorrow I get to go see if these steps still exist along with the rest of the work we have done there over the past 5 weeks. We worked so hard to get 99% of the job done cause the homeowner came home friday night...I hope we don't go there and find that thae bank and the new lawn and all the plantings are missing. Most of the job was on slopes. I guess I am glad we were able to get the edges of the 1200 sf bluestone patio supported though. Catch you later

GreenMonster
10-10-2005, 07:02 PM
I didn't realize how bad some of the flooding was until I watched the news tonite. Real bad in SW NH. Roads, houses, etc just gone. River went through this one person's yard and took away almost all of their land -- 2 acres! It's just a river there now! ;)

I'm just putting the bouncy smiley here cuz Maddi keeps yelling "bouncy"! :blob3: