PDA

View Full Version : What should I do? Overseed/weeds

Gators_Aerator
10-04-2005, 08:03 PM
About three weeks ago I overseeded a lawn. Now the weeds have enjoyed the starter fert and are growing big.

I did not kill the weeds, since there were not that many at that time. First mistake.

Some additional seed needs to be added to the yard, but what can I do with the weeds. Hand pulling is not an option.

What can be used to kill the weeds and not affect the seed or new grass?

Thank you for your advise.

muddstopper
10-04-2005, 08:53 PM
keep it mowed

Five Diamond Lawns
10-04-2005, 10:32 PM
Weed-be-gone

waffletown20
10-05-2005, 01:57 AM
Mow constantly so the weeds don't get seed tips which would spread and grow.

PurpHaze
10-05-2005, 09:17 AM
About three weeks ago I overseeded a lawn. Now the weeds have enjoyed the starter fert and are growing big.

I did not kill the weeds, since there were not that many at that time. First mistake.

Some additional seed needs to be added to the yard, but what can I do with the weeds. Hand pulling is not an option.

What can be used to kill the weeds and not affect the seed or new grass?

Thank you for your advise.

Weeds in newly seeded turf areas are common. I'm in the group saying let the weeds come up and as the new lawn needs mowing this will control them a little, at least as far as the sight factor goes. As the grass takes over it will begin to choke out most of the weeds. If you decide to use some type of broadleaf application (i. e. Weed-B-Gone) read the label and be VERY careful. Although these types of herbicides are formulated for broadleaf plants and not grasses some (and depending on application mix rate) can be very detrimental to newly sprouting grasses. You may not get the desired look. :)

ThreeWide
10-05-2005, 10:01 AM
Most commonly used broadleaf herbicides will prevent existing grass seed from germinating, and likely will damage seedlings that have recently germinated.

Drive is the only product I know that can be safely used. It is mainly for crabgrass, but does control some broadleafs as well.

nate1422
10-05-2005, 10:02 AM
I used Weed B Gon on new grass this past summer and it didn't kill it so you COULD be safe. If you are in ohio, frost will be soon, keep it mowed but I would just wait till spring to put down the pre-emergent for grassy weeds and then go after the broadleaf weeds. Grass should come in thicker if you put down fertilizer.

TOMMY1115
10-05-2005, 01:07 PM
Rule of thumb to remember:
- Wait 3 weeks after a herbicide application to seed
- Mow the new grass at least 3 times before putting a herb app down

This late in the game, I'd keep the property mowed regualrly. Most of the weeds will die after a good frost which might not be too far away depending on where you are. But, depending on your location, you might get away with a late herb app if it's still warm and weeds are actively growing.

nate1422
10-05-2005, 01:41 PM
I did want to mention a major detail I left out in my previous post, I only treated a 20x20 area on an acre of property where the weeds were out of control and spreading further into the new grass where there weren't many weeds.....yet. I stopped the weeds and grass kept growing although I probably did prevent some of the seed from germinating. The effects on an entire yard could be bad, don't do it. I can't comment on the long term effect on the treated area because the entire yard eventually died. That's a whole other story but it had nothing to do with the Weed B-gon.