PDA

View Full Version : what kind of wood is good?

sailinstud420
10-04-2005, 09:14 PM
who uses treated lumber and who does not use treated lumber for their trailers? 2x10 or 2x 12? How thick? (I plan to use 1 3/4"). Let see some feedback, thanks.

meets1
10-04-2005, 09:17 PM
I just purchased a trailer with recycled plastic, non-slip surface. So far great, only concern is gouging into with shovel if we need to shovel off grass or something.

dcondon
10-04-2005, 10:15 PM
recycled plastic would be great but if you can't get it I would go with treated. rec. plastic is lots of payup so they say!!!

LwnmwrMan22
10-04-2005, 11:37 PM
Non-treated wood will rot out on you in about 6 years.

Even if you paint it and seal it.

You're going to have it in the rain, if for no other reason you'll be mowing and get rained out, therefore have to drive home.

lwcmattlifter
10-04-2005, 11:59 PM
My vote goes for non treated. I'm hard on trailers and find that I end up replacing boards because they break before they rot. I usually paint them the color of the trailer before installing them.

olderthandirt
10-05-2005, 12:51 AM
Non treated 1-1/2" rough cut, thats a true 1-1/2" then I just throw some old oil on them in the fall and let it soak in and there good to go. Never had to replace any boards using this size and meathod.

Eclipse
10-07-2005, 10:45 PM
Non treated 1-1/2" rough cut, thats a true 1-1/2" then I just throw some old oil on them in the fall and let it soak in and there good to go. Never had to replace any boards using this size and meathod.

Drain oil "mopped" onto the deck is an excellent and effective idea. It works better than any paint or sealer.

Jason Rose
10-08-2005, 12:51 AM
Most trailers I find have non treated boards for the deck. Treated stuff just warps to beat hell and has to be screwed down 10 dozen places per board, only to have it warp and snap the screws or bolts that were holding it! Not to mention treated is 2 to 3 times heavier than kiln dried. I like the idea about the "oil mopping" Currently my trailer boards are painted and holding in there fine, over 10 years old. The end 2 or 3 feet at the gate were rotted when I bought it, but I cut off the existing boards and repalced the area with boards placed horziontally to the trailer. If that makes any sence... It's a 20 foot trailer and 20' lumber is VERY expensive!!!! So I improvised.... Used treated boards for the fix and well... They have warped, broken the screws, and are kinda flopping about till I fix and repaint the dude this winter.