10-04-2005, 09:35 PM
What is the the Best Walk Behind Mower?
Hustler?
Ex-mark? Viking
Quick-36?
Toro?
John Deere?
Any others you can suggest or use?
What's the best motors and experiences with them?

Is a Floating Deck a must have? Is there more PM with an Floating deck?
Is the Fixed deck that big of a deal to change?
What Walk Behind Mower last the longest?
What one's dont need as much PM?

Looking to Buy a Walk Behind for next season I mow alot of commercial and residential.
Thanks,
Inman's Lawn Care
inmanslawncare@yahoo.com

mkwl
10-04-2005, 10:03 PM
Bob-Cat or Toro Proline!!! They are both built like tanks, and give absolutely fantasitc cut and stripe!! No, a floating deck IMO is more trouble than it's worth (many more parts to fail), unless you're mowing really uneven areas. I've got around 325 Hrs. on my Bob-Cat with NO problems at all!!! I've got around 100 Hrs. on my Toro Proline with NO problems at all!!! I can't say enough good things about my Bob-Cat and Toro Proline mowers! Kawasaki engines are far better than Kohler or Honda IMO. I've had no problems with the Kawi's on either of the mowers. Hope this helps! :cool2:

TMlawncare
10-04-2005, 11:39 PM
In my opinion the Exmarks hydro walk behinds are the best in the industry. The cut is super. The controls are very smooth. You can get a optional striping roller, which is a must have. It also serves as a gigantic anti scalp roller. The machines are extremely reliable. The two Exmarks that I own have experience virtually no downtime. The ztr (one broken belt) and the 60" wb (zero problems). The ztr 800hrs, wb 450hrs.
As far as engines go, I highly recommend the Kawasaki's over any other gas engine. They have excellent power and torque. Very quite, smooth and reliable. They also get very very good fuel economy. My 23hp uses only around 1.25 gallon/hr and my 27hp uses around 1.5 gal/hr. One of my friends has a generac on a dixie chopper and it burns over 3 gallons an hour. Can you imagine spending almost $10/hr on fuel for one mower. Thats more than the employee running the thing makes an hour!! Makes you start to think doesn't it.

ed2hess
10-04-2005, 11:45 PM
Nothing wrong with the 36" Scag. They are one of the best built, don't pass them up if you have a dealer in your area.

cborden
10-04-2005, 11:56 PM
I have one 48" belt drive Bob-Cat, with a 15 hp Kawasaki. This machine is incredible. It has close to 2000 hours on it, uses no oil, leaves a very good cut and the best stripe of any machine I've owned. I also have three 48" SCAG hydro's with the 17 hp Kawasaki, they are also very fine machines, but don't leave quite the stripe the Bob-Cat does. I would have bought more Bob-Cats, but had dealer problems, now he's out of business and no one else really deals in them around here. In my opinion, I'd say Bob-Cat or SCAG and get the Kawasaki engine. Hydro or belt drive is pretty much personal preference, but I'd go with the hydro, and if you're going to get a sulky, I'd spend the extra money and buy a two wheel Velke. Demo as many units as you can and buy what works best for you.

TURF DOCTOR
10-05-2005, 12:02 AM
Scag here compare.

daveintoledo
10-05-2005, 12:18 AM
the one you can afford, with a great dealer close by... its the support after the sale that really counts, all of the for mentioned machines are great.....

olderthandirt
10-05-2005, 12:36 AM
I prefer the one someone else is using. make life easier :D

daveintoledo
10-05-2005, 12:38 AM
I prefer the one someone else is using. make life easier :D

:) :) :) :) :) :)

ToroLandscaper
10-05-2005, 09:21 PM
TORO PROLINES BLOW, i had one and it gave a AWESOME cut but it was very underpowered, the hydros were weak, and it wouldnt really pull well.
As far as wb's i think the eXmark turf tracer is the champ.......i love em......when ever time comes to get a wb turf tracer it is....they are a little pricier but trust me they are worth it. (At the moment i dont have a wb)

ZTR- Toros the best in my opinion
WB- Theres no competition EXMARK ALL THE WAY

TriCountyLawn
10-05-2005, 09:55 PM
First off as normal I will say " whats close for dealer support" It can be the best peice of equipment on earth but if it breaks and ya have to drive 60 miles its another story . Ive ran tons of different types of walkbehinds from other employers and then several that ive demoed and or owned since going out on my own.

Toro Proline-44" deck Pretty good cut. A little underpowerd IMO. The T-Bar controls are one of the best styles around.

Exmark- Turf tracer and viking, Great cut! seemed to have enough power. But the bad part, ECS controlls IMO are the worse in the industry,heres why. 1. Your hands are exposed at all times. (see number 2)
2. If you nail your hands against something hard you cant let go or run it one handed.
3. Of ya use these controlls you will have a hand shake that can crush king kongs hands.

Lesco/Cub Cadet- 48/17hp Kawi - Very nice mower, Good power, awsome stripes. No complaints and almost bought it.

Hustler- 48" 17/hpkawi- Ok, I own two of these. IMO these are the best walkbehinds on the market. Controls are second to none. Cut is great and stripes very well.

Far as the floating deck goes, I would have to say this. If your going to mow at 1 height all day then get a fixed deck but if you are going to changing it from time to time the just get the floating deck. I know ive left a few brands out but those were the ones ive had a good amount of time on. Good luck

mkwl
10-05-2005, 10:09 PM
TORO PROLINES BLOW, i had one and it gave a AWESOME cut but it was very underpowered, the hydros were weak, and it wouldnt really pull well.
As far as wb's i think the eXmark turf tracer is the champ.......i love em......when ever time comes to get a wb turf tracer it is....they are a little pricier but trust me they are worth it. (At the moment i dont have a wb)

ZTR- Toros the best in my opinion
WB- Theres no competition EXMARK ALL THE WAY

FYI- Toro owns Exmark. :rolleyes:

ToroLandscaper
10-06-2005, 12:06 AM
FYI- Toro owns Exmark. :rolleyes:

LOL NO $HIT........they are two completly differnt machines....have you ever used a eXmark wb??? Prolly not....

Oasis1
10-06-2005, 12:10 AM
Man dont any of you guys use Ferris. I think they are the best out there by far. Little more expensive but well worth it.

TClawn
10-06-2005, 12:57 AM
how much can you afford? if you got a huge buget, but a hustler super walkbehind. those things will mow fast. 8mph top speed in sulky mode.

if your budget is not large enough to afford a dual hydro machine ($4200 minimum) I would buy a quick 36 instead of a belt drive. I have the 13hp model (didn't make a 16hp when I bought mine) and it has paid for itself many times over.

I have only had one small problem with it, and that was the battery loosing a bit of acid. give it a fillup, and I'll be good to go, but gary (the owner of better) has been very helpfull, and I would rate my experience a 10 of 10.

Capitol Lawn
10-06-2005, 01:24 AM
Bobcat for life

PaulJ
10-06-2005, 02:04 AM
For me the best is the Hustler 48" super walkbehind.
I have NO idea what is best for you.

MV Property Care
10-13-2005, 03:42 AM
If price is the main issue you should check out www.betteroutdoorproducts.com for the quick 36 super duty. They are running some deals right now and the mower is built tough and maintenance is simple. But if you have the money I would buy from a dealer that has a good reputation.

skidmaster
10-13-2005, 07:16 AM
FOR ALL YOU GUYS, OR SHOULD I SAY BOYS who seem to be a little green,no punn intended, one mower and only one stands above the rest. Very simple, Scag!Not because I own three of them, not because two out of the three have 2900 hrs and are begging for more, but because they are built like friggon tanks. The controlls are smooth, silky smooth. Two are equipped with Kawasakis,17 & 12.5 respectively, the third a Honda 18 hp. Aside from belts, I have only put one transmission on one mower and one set of blade spindles on another. The newest one with the Honda only has 700 hours on it and is just starting to break in. The decks are built like Sherman tanks.(Refer to your history books, there is more to life than landscaping, not much but there is.) The controls are extremely comfortable. I can whip them around like a goddamn maniac. They are so responsive and smooth I would never consider using another brand. Lesco. total pieces of fecal . Anyone I know who has bought one bought it to save money. Save money! They rattle apart, fecal comes loose or falls off them, you spend more time going to the dealer than you spend working. Your ass should be mowing from 7:00 am till your done. Not till that piece of crap decides it can't take the punishment you want to give it, get off your fat ass, put that lesco or other piece of junk down at the curb for the garbage man, because that's what it is, garbage. This isn't a lesco bashing session, I am actually bashing all other makes besides Scag. Scag is simply the best, I know, I have been using them for eighteen years.

jeffreyj77
10-13-2005, 12:25 PM
I have not used a walk behind before, but I have taken a quick look over some before. I do know that a local dealer in my area has a Dixon walk-Behind, belt-driven, 48" Deck, for $2,500. It looks identical to the Ferris belt-drive in my opinion. Check it out at http://www.dixon-ztr.com/

skidmaster
10-19-2005, 09:28 PM
FOR ALL YOU GUYS, who seem to be a little green,no punn intended, one mower and only one stands above the rest. Very simple, Scag!Not because I own three of them, not because two out of the three have 2900 hrs and are begging for more, but because they are built like friggon tanks. The controlls are smooth, silky smooth. Two are equipped with Kawasakis,17 & 12.5 respectively, the third a Honda 18 hp. Aside from belts, I have only put one transmission on one mower and one set of blade spindles on another. The newest one with the Honda only has 700 hours on it and is just starting to break in. The decks are built like Sherman tanks.(Refer to your history books, there is more to life than landscaping, not much but there is.) The controls are extremely comfortable. I can whip them around like a goddamn maniac. They are so responsive and smooth I would never consider using another brand. Lesco. total pieces of fecal . Anyone I know who has bought one bought it to save money. Save money! They rattle apart, fecal comes loose or falls off them, you spend more time going to the dealer than you spend working. Your ass should be mowing from 7:00 am till your done. Not till that piece of crap decides it can't take the punishment you want to give it, get off your ass, put that lesco or other piece of junk down at the curb for the garbage man, because that's what it is, garbage. This isn't a lesco bashing session, I am actually bashing all other makes besides Scag. Scag is simply the best, I know, I have been using them for eighteen years.American steel

lawnboy dan
10-20-2005, 08:38 PM
i use toro proline 32,s because i do mostly small and medium but have several yards that have very narrow gates to get tru. a 36 wont fit. the upside to this is i dont need a trailer. mower fits in the back of a pickup