PDA

View Full Version : Built in grill

cgland
10-04-2005, 10:52 PM
Not the greatest pics, but it's something!

Chris

griffy77
10-05-2005, 12:00 AM
We are installing one the comes out from a wall. Hope to post some pics soon.

kris
10-05-2005, 06:42 AM
As I posted in another thread that is something I have never built...but I will next year. For me! .... Thanks for posting the pics it looks really good.

mbella
10-05-2005, 07:11 AM
Yeah, you were right, not the greatest. Seriously, that looks good.

cgland
10-05-2005, 09:53 AM
Thanks!
Mike - I always look forward to your .02. It's no huge rectangle, but ..........

Chris

Ben98gs
10-05-2005, 02:20 PM
Looks good... I am planning on doing something similar next year when I build my patio (just getting my grass growing and going to tear up half the yard to install a patio... Why couldnt I have the money to finish everything at once... lol)

What brand of grill is that??? Did you buy a "Build in" kit like Weber sells (Summit Series I believe) or is it just a normal grill that you tore apart and adapted to fit???

DVS Hardscaper
10-07-2005, 10:34 AM
That looks rather nice :)

One thing I CAN NOT stand is when contractors plop a grill down on the edge of a patio and STACK block up on both ends.

But that looks nice!

cgland
10-07-2005, 10:06 PM
Thanks guys!

Chris

kris
10-14-2005, 07:18 AM
Chris ... could you provide me with some more info. I am presuming it is hollow inside.
How did you lay the stone around the oven door... is it just sitting on top? Is the whole thing framed before you start laying the stone?

Do you have the customer pick out the grill and then design it? I'm thinking that if you supplied the BBQ that you are then responsible for the warranty of it.

Any technical info would be appreciated.

cgland
10-14-2005, 05:33 PM
Kris - The grill is supplied by the customer. We get exact measurements from the grill co. and build our structure to them. You are correct, the structure is hollow except for the end. We built return walls and filled them with clean stone to add some stability. We build the structure, the granite people install the top (with cutouts for the grill, etc.) and the grill people drop the grill into place and run a bead of silicone around it. It basically just sits there, it is not attached in any way(other than the doors). The doors have an inside return with holes to affix the doors. I will post a sketch. hope this helps.

chris

kris
10-14-2005, 06:57 PM
Thanks very much Chris.... looks like only the top sketch came through but I think I got it.

Those doors... they just open up to the hollow space?...access to the fittings etc? I wasn't sure if it was some kind of oven-warmer.

cgland
10-14-2005, 10:19 PM
Yeah. they just open into the structure. Good for storage and, as you said, fitting access. Sorry about the sketch. I was on the computer that doesn't have photoshop so I couldn't resize it right.:realmad: Let me know if you need any more info.

Chris

kris
10-15-2005, 07:52 AM
What I am not clear on is what is supporting the blocks above the door opening.

I am guessing you could put a piece of angle iron or something similar across... Unless I am missing something really simple here.

cgland
10-15-2005, 11:58 AM
Kris - Because the space was so limited above the doors, all I did was cut pices of block and anchored and glued them to the door framing (return). In typical installs I would have placed a 1/4" thick piece of flat steel to span the gap and notched block out to sit on it. I think the pieces I cut were only like 2" deep.

Chris

Lux Lawn
10-15-2005, 12:05 PM
Nice Job.
Nice looking grill.Thats the party yard.

kris
10-15-2005, 01:54 PM
Thanks Chris that is what i was thinking with the flat steel.

ok...one more question ...lol

Are your regular SW units good enough? From some info i got today from a BBQ place they call for fire resistant brick ...think it was 18" around the grill.

cgland
10-15-2005, 11:15 PM
I have never had a problem. There is alot of air circulating beneath and through the grill enclosure. Not enough heat to really affect the block or the granite. Now if you were installing a fire pit, then I would recommend fire brick or the like.

Chris

kris
10-16-2005, 07:07 AM
Chris I was just thinking... the fire pits we build are the same product...should be no problem but I will need to here it from our supplier.

Thanks for the conversation ... things are...as clear as mud now .:)

j/k I should be good to go.:waving:

cgland
10-16-2005, 10:32 PM
No problem Kris. I wish I would have taken installation pics, but hindsight is 20/20 I guess.

Chris