PDA

View Full Version : core aeration and broadcasting seed

ant
10-05-2005, 04:41 PM
any of you guys have luck broadcasting seed over a core aerated lawn that had bigtime damange from sod webworm,chinch bugs or pythum?

will the grass seed germanate in the damange areas that the aerator misses?

LB1234
10-05-2005, 04:57 PM
any of you guys have luck broadcasting seed over a core aerated lawn that had bigtime damange from sod webworm,chinch bugs or pythum?

Just aerated, well attempted to aerate two 40,000 sf lawns with a ryan 26" aerator. Plugs were barely going in an inch cause the darn soil is so dry and compacted. Returned the damn thing and I'm going to go back after we get this rain this week. This was in hunterdon county.

bobbygedd
10-05-2005, 07:04 PM
i always power rake, aerate, then broadcast=excellent

korelandscaping
10-05-2005, 07:46 PM
The best results I've gotten is when we aerate, lightly over-seed and then slice seed both directions. In general, aerating and over seeding is effective on thin grass but heavily damaged lawns I prefer to you the above mentioned method.

gene gls
10-05-2005, 08:52 PM

The seed needs to contact the dirt in order to sprout.

ProLawns
10-06-2005, 04:29 PM
Run a dethatcher or verti-cutter over the dead areas. Collect the thatch. Aerate visciously. Seed. Use the back side of a garden rake to break up the plugs over the seed. Put down another layer of seed. Hopefully you don't have very large areas to do this to because it's a lot of work.

joshua
10-06-2005, 11:26 PM
if you only have the aerator go over the lawn a good 6 times. really try and make it look like it was chewed up and beaten. the more dirt showing the better the results. it might take 2 aerations to get the results you want.

MOW ED
10-07-2005, 07:33 AM
Somewhere in this volume of posts there are germination rates for different types of jobs. The lowest percent of germination or the "bird seed" approach is to broadcast seed over grass. The highest rate is when you rake the seed into a bed of topsoil. The mainstay of all operations is seed to soil contact. The more seed you get to be covered lightly by soil the more success you will have. Of course you also need moisture.
For broadcasting over cores I am not positive but I think I remember a 20% germination rate. I could be a little off. There are better ways and there are worse.