PDA

View Full Version : stealing someone elses client....

bobbygedd
10-05-2005, 05:39 PM
so this guy calls me, he's just starting in the lawn business, and needs advice. i told him, it's the usual fee=an obscene fortune. ok, so skippy needs help, he has people asking him for lawn renovations, and has no clue. my instructions were clear- you will arrange for us both to meet with the client, we will go over, i will do the talking, and together we will measure the property, i will evaluate, and price the job. i will speak with client, and price job, you will pay me cash in advance, we will do the job together, me running machinery, you doing the grunt work. fair? yup, he loved it. well, the damn fool calls me, and says he went ahead without me, and did all of the above. he says we only gonna thatch, and seed, using a spreader. it was an established lawn, with minmal build up, and in quite nice condition considering the season we've had. he pays me $275, in advance, and says i'm needed for 1.5 hrs tops. now i'm worried. we get to the job, i could smell that the soil was unbalanced, so i pull out the old ph meter. the client sees this, and asks what i'm doing. i told him. i proceed to inform him that he was a bit low at 6.5, and that 6.8 would be perfect, and i tell him how to achieve this. he seems impressed. he then asks ole skippy, who went without me to estimate the job, what kind of seed he was using, skippy replies, "grass seed." the client looks at me, i laugh and tell skippy to stop joking like that, and inform the client of what type of seed we will use, plus the rate per k. we get done, and the client asks when are we going to roll the lawn? i said, "wat dat mean?" well, aparently old skippy told the client we will thatch, seed, and roll the lawn. i proceed to inform the client that we will NOT be rolling the lawn. the client asks me aside, and demands an explanation, "are you employed by this man? is this guy really a landscaper? so far he seems like an idiot to me." i tell the customer that i am tutoring skippy, for a fee, and skippy should have never went ahead without me. i then proceed to inform him, that the lawn should be aerated as well, then i go on to tell him how to get rid of the small patch of nutsedge. long story short, skippy gets booted, i am now the clients new lawnboy. did i do a bad thing?

Brianslawn
10-05-2005, 06:11 PM
did you still charge skippy? just tell skippy if he wants to ever do anything in the lawn biz its going be as your employee or else he might as well go fill out a taco bell app.

walker-talker
10-05-2005, 06:12 PM
Does skippy know that you are the new lawn boy and what does he think about this? Sounds to me like you might more money keeping 'ol skippy around if he's going to pay you $275 for a little knowledge about overseeding. I say let skippy have the lawn and make more money off him. Milk him out for a year and then give him the boot.

bobbygedd
10-05-2005, 06:16 PM
yup, i got $275, the old fashion way, in advance

Gatewayuser
10-05-2005, 06:26 PM
You did nothing wrong the customer wants someone who knows what their doing, wouldnt you I would.

dishboy
10-05-2005, 10:48 PM
so this guy calls me, he's just starting in the lawn business, and needs advice. i told him, it's the usual fee=an obscene fortune. ok, so skippy needs help, he has people asking him for lawn renovations, and has no clue. my instructions were clear- you will arrange for us both to meet with the client, we will go over, i will do the talking, and together we will measure the property, i will evaluate, and price the job. i will speak with client, and price job, you will pay me cash in advance, we will do the job together, me running machinery, you doing the grunt work. fair? yup, he loved it. well, the damn fool calls me, and says he went ahead without me, and did all of the above. he says we only gonna thatch, and seed, using a spreader. it was an established lawn, with minmal build up, and in quite nice condition considering the season we've had. he pays me $275, in advance, and says i'm needed for 1.5 hrs tops. now i'm worried. we get to the job, i could smell that the soil was unbalanced, so i pull out the old ph meter. the client sees this, and asks what i'm doing. i told him. i proceed to inform him that he was a bit low at 6.5, and that 6.8 would be perfect, and i tell him how to achieve this. he seems impressed. he then asks ole skippy, who went without me to estimate the job, what kind of seed he was using, skippy replies, "grass seed." the client looks at me, i laugh and tell skippy to stop joking like that, and inform the client of what type of seed we will use, plus the rate per k. we get done, and the client asks when are we going to roll the lawn? i said, "wat dat mean?" well, aparently old skippy told the client we will thatch, seed, and roll the lawn. i proceed to inform the client that we will NOT be rolling the lawn. the client asks me aside, and demands an explanation, "are you employed by this man? is this guy really a landscaper? so far he seems like an idiot to me." i tell the customer that i am tutoring skippy, for a fee, and skippy should have never went ahead without me. i then proceed to inform him, that the lawn should be aerated as well, then i go on to tell him how to get rid of the small patch of nutsedge. long story short, skippy gets booted, i am now the clients new lawnboy. did i do a bad thing?

Booby, get over yourself ! If your were half as smart as you make yourself out to be you would not have to come on here and tell us about it .

cgland
10-05-2005, 11:15 PM
Here's the plan! Bring Skippy onto the payroll, do a massive marketing campaign for Skippy's lawn service, have Skippy previsit all homes and bring you back for the follow up, procede to disagree with all of Skippy's "advice" to homeowner, add 10% to Skippy's price and take on the customer yourself............................................................................................ .................................................................................................... .......Wait a second.....YOU are Skippy!

bobbygedd
10-06-2005, 07:33 AM
Booby, get over yourself ! If your were half as smart as you make yourself out to be you would not have to come on here and tell us about it .
a man does not neccisarily have to be smart, just, not as dumb. i never have to outrun the bear , i only have, to outrun you

SouthernYankee
10-06-2005, 10:31 AM
You should become skippys mentor and enroll him in Gedd University. Maybe give him a scholarship.

mrusk
10-06-2005, 02:46 PM
sounds like bobby knows alot about turf. More than i do anyway.

Matt

alwaysgreener
10-06-2005, 02:59 PM
Like I always say on this site It's just business nothing personal I don't understand why you think you did a bad thing? You proved to the customer that you were more knowledgeable and capable of doing the job RIGHT. Trust me if a customer of yours came up to one of my guys or myself with a question about what how your doing his lawn management, he would be on our side where its Always Greener.. BG It's just business nothing personal :D

palm boy
10-06-2005, 03:46 PM
maybe Skippy would be better suited to manage the hot dog stand? While squeezing ketchup,mustard, relish, fetching cold sodas, etc.etc. he could also be advertising for your lco biz.