PDA

View Full Version : Do you mow too fast?

Jerry and Sons
10-05-2005, 09:00 PM
I recieved a complaint today that one of my crews mows to fast! I asked the customer if any damage was done to her property and she stated no, but the guys were whipping around at 75 mph. She stated that they came and went so fast for the amount of money she was paying ($45) for 3/4 acre lot. What now?

QualityLawnCare4u
10-05-2005, 09:03 PM
You can try to explain to her that you did not spend mega bucks on a mower to spend all day on her 45 dollar yard. Some folks feel like if you dont spend a lot of time they dont get their moneys worth. I bet she is an older lady to, still living in the 1950 wage era.

jtkplc
10-05-2005, 09:15 PM
i had that happen to me shortly after i got my 260Z. an elderly lady came out all pissed off saying i was mowing way too fast and it wasn't cutting good. i knew it was cutting just fine, so i asked her to come and show me where i was missing. after some convincing, she came out, went all across the yard and then walked in the house quite mad because she couldn't find any missed grass. from that point on, she was as nice as nice could be to me.

henri4207
10-05-2005, 09:30 PM
Same problem here, especially when trimming shrubs or doing a clean-up. I tell them a price, and that I don't charge by the hour, I charge by the job. As long as the job is done as we agreed, then it shouldn't matter if it takes 5 minutes or 50, as long as its done right,right?

lawnguyland
10-05-2005, 09:38 PM
people are nuts.

Had a customer tell me that her neighbor told her I was mowing her yard too fast. I told her I can go as fast as I want with a 4 thousand $ mower and the neighbor should shut-it. Lawn looked awesome. Dumb interferers.

bobbygedd
10-05-2005, 09:43 PM
i would send a gift, and slow it down a bit

BSDeality
10-05-2005, 09:46 PM
would that gift be a horses head?

LawnBoy89
10-05-2005, 09:47 PM
i would send a gift, and slow it down a bit

lmfao yesss

bobbygedd
10-05-2005, 09:49 PM
no, i'm thinking perhaps a fruit basket, or a nice arrangement of little jelly jars, and crackers, in a basket with some of that fake grass like they use in easter baskets. afterall, the customer is YOUR BOSS, if she says slow it down, then by all means, slow it down

BSDeality
10-05-2005, 09:50 PM
by your mentality that would equal more money. after all you boast time is money, however I like to think less time = more money.

bobbygedd
10-05-2005, 09:52 PM
by your mentality that would equal more money. after all you boast time is money, however I like to think less time = more money.
time is not money, nor have i said it is. time = time, and money=money.

ALarsh
10-05-2005, 09:52 PM
I get that all the time in the old neighborhoods. My grandma's neighbors tell me that I mow too fast because I can cut her acre lot in 30 minutes while they are out for 2 hours on their mower. I have taught my grandma well and she says that "It's an $8000 mower that is designed to cut that fast". :)

waffletown20
10-05-2005, 11:12 PM
I had a guy tellin' me to slow it down a little because it took him 3hr's on his crapsman and it's only takin' me 1.5 hrs on my Z. I asked him to show me spots that I missed and he was litterally laying on the ground trying to find spots but he couldn't. I told him that Z's are the ultimate in efficiency and the blade tip speed is much faster so they are able to cut at a faster speed. Then I gave him a demo on the mower so he could feel the hairpin turns. I haven't heard anything from him since. *Pats self on back*

newz7151
10-05-2005, 11:25 PM
"Well ma'am, I'll tell them to slow down, but if it ends up taking an hour on your yard I'll have to raise the price to the regular $90/hr rate."

Make it sound like you are saving them money by getting it done quicker.

Brianslawn
10-05-2005, 11:38 PM
most of our customers arent home when we mow, but in the past there have been a couple. i tell them its a $12,000 lawnmower, it better get done quick. i then offer to slow way down and charge them an hourly rate. they usually shut-up. had several compliments on our speed/efficiency/quality. had couple people complain when we had to use a smaller, slower back-up mower. they thought that time we must have just sped through the yard... instead vice versa.

DBL
10-05-2005, 11:44 PM
i agree with just telling them the thats what the mowers for i didnt buy a mower from sears so i can tool around your yard with a beer in my hand and wave at every car that drives by

Runner
10-06-2005, 12:52 PM
I agree with the fruit basket idea. I can just see the nice pleasant smile on her face as she lifts the basket up, slowly turning with both hands on the basket, looking at the array of fresh fruit and color. Then suddenly, there's the bonk of a shovel goin' upside the back of her head!

nate1422
10-06-2005, 01:07 PM
3 goats, 2 chickens, 1 duck - $150 - 1 week
Crapsman 21"push - $200 - 5 hours
Crapsman rider - $999 - 3 hours
Exmark/Scag/Walker/Hustler/Toro/JD/Ferris....... I'm seeing a relationship!

My mom used to tell me that all the time, granted I was on a cub cadet 38" rider.....but the grass still looked great.

kmann
10-06-2005, 05:20 PM
I had some old hag tell me she did'nt like "those fancy new mowers" asked me if I would do her lawn with her push mower, like her grandson used to do! Told her she better call junior, cause there was no way I was gonna do it!

Wells
10-06-2005, 06:32 PM
no, i'm thinking perhaps a fruit basket, or a nice arrangement of little jelly jars, and crackers, in a basket with some of that fake grass like they use in easter baskets. afterall, the customer is YOUR BOSS, if she says slow it down, then by all means, slow it down
Bobby my man....now your talkin.
You understand who's the boss.

bruces
10-06-2005, 10:48 PM

Very considerate Bobby. Once again, your warm, caring, customer is always right attitude is showing.

We could all learn a great deal from your customer service methods. Thanks for the continuing enlightenment. :D

Kevjenty
10-06-2005, 10:57 PM
I recieved a complaint today that one of my crews mows to fast! I asked the customer if any damage was done to her property and she stated no, but the guys were whipping around at 75 mph. She stated that they came and went so fast for the amount of money she was paying ($45) for 3/4 acre lot. What now?

Do they own a shovel? Why? Why not use a spoon? You could push mow it for 3 hrs and look the same? Throw any number of analagies at them!

grassmanvt
10-07-2005, 12:03 AM
tell them " if I slow down, the terrrorists have won".