PDA

View Full Version : Employees showing up on time?

henri4207
10-05-2005, 09:41 PM
I have had the same 2 guys for the last 3 years. They are pretty much both great workers, except they almost never come on time. They are constantly 3-6 minutes late. I am not trying to be an azz, but when I say 6:00AM, than means you get to the office at 5:55 and be in the truck by 6:00. What do you guys go through, or is this just the norm for this industry. Whenever I worked somewhere, I was always early, and same for most peole I know because they dont want to get fired. And they expect to be paid when they show up, not when they are ready???

lawnguyland
10-05-2005, 09:46 PM
Employees used to piss me off! Maybe you can tell them to be there a few minutes earlier than you really need them or just accept they'll always be a few minutes late for your own sanity. Or use a time clock?

Hard Worker
10-05-2005, 09:53 PM
Its a different culture than it used to be. I'm not saying that its right, but some folks just do not care. If they are good workers once they arrive maybe its worth keeping them??? Pick your battles. You never know you may be trading them for someone worse!!

But all in all it is a shame that people do not show enough respect to come in on time. I hope you find the right solution for your business.

lawnman_scott
10-05-2005, 09:57 PM
If 3-6 min late is your complaint, dont complain. Im the same way, they are a few min late every day, but do great work, so I deal with it. Read some stories on here and then relax and let it go. I agree it isnt the way it should be, but save your energy for bigger battles.

dcondon
10-05-2005, 10:00 PM
One of our Employees can be 3-5 min late 2-3 days a week. I don't say a word because he will work 7 days a week from daylite to dark if needed. He has been with us for 2 years and does great work. It just gives me a little extra time for another cup of coffee. :)

ed2hess
10-05-2005, 10:05 PM
Three years and the only complaint is a few minutes late?

Randy Scott
10-05-2005, 10:25 PM
[QUOTE=henri4207]I am not trying to be an azz, but when I say 6:00AM, than means you get to the office at 5:55 and be in the truck by 6:00. QUOTE]

So that means their start time is actually5:55, not 6:00. If I was supposed to start at 6:00, I guess I'd be in the truck a few minutes after that start time. Sweating the little things will make you insane.

gman44
10-05-2005, 10:38 PM
I wouldnt get upset over 3-6 mins . 20-30 can make you nutty .If they are hard workers and treat you machines ok dont make yourself crazy over a few mins .

Kelly's Landscaping
10-05-2005, 10:44 PM
30 mins late does not even bother me I cannot complain about something I will not do either. All that matters to me is I the truck and trailers are loaded before I even roll out of bed. Seldom do I make it out side before 8:30am, which is why I am self-employed because anal freaks about start time drove me nuts talk about issues. So I do not have a firm start time but I also have not firm stop time, which is where I differ from most of the guys who cry of a 6 mins in the morning. 4-5pm and those guys are normally heading home not us we work to dark on our cutting days which in the summer can be 9pm so I never felt a need to sweat the start time since we do more in a day then fixed schedule guys do anyway.

procut
10-05-2005, 10:46 PM
If it really bothers you that they are late, consider this. One of my fellow friends in the landscape business has his start time at 7:30. If an employee shows up even one minute late, they are not allowed to punch in untill 8:00, thus working a half hour for free. It is my understanding that he has been doing it this way for years.

lawnman_scott
10-05-2005, 11:12 PM
If it really bothers you that they are late, consider this. One of my fellow friends in the landscape business has his start time at 7:30. If an employee shows up even one minute late, they are not allowed to punch in untill 8:00, thus working a half hour for free. It is my understanding that he has been doing it this way for years.
That could be a tad bit illegal.

Kelly's Landscaping
10-05-2005, 11:58 PM
That could be a tad bit illegal.

Yup more to the point that would make my new start time 7:59 LOL my last boss tried all sorts of bs ideas to make me come in on time. But who was he to ask that when his paychecks would not clear on time thus he came in when he wanted I came in when I wanted. I worked there 15 years with a few breaks my last year I was 900 a week salary I had 15 uncashable checks or $10,000 dollars by the end of the season I could not cash. Took till mid march the following year to get paid. Yea but I was the tardy one LOL

The Captain
10-06-2005, 01:43 AM
I used to be late all the time. (My dad said I was going to be late to my own funeral, which probably isn't bad when you think about it.) I'm basically a night person and have a really tough time :sleeping: rolling out in the morning. In the 80's I worked for a land surveyor who started at 7:00 AM. (My clock didn't even have that time on it!) I was always just, almost, pretty close to, on time. We covered maybe three counties as for as our day to day survey jobs. One morning, I was again almost on time. The boss and the other crew members left at 7:00 on the dot. Stuck on the office door was the job schedule for the day (not in any order), saying I could join them any time I chose. My pay would start when I got there. Well after driving 60 miles on my own time and gas, I was never late on that job again.

Being late isn't just about money. It has to do with respect and fairness to the others you work with. Your taking (wasting) their time as well as the companys. It snowballs. Really, why should anyone be on time if one of the crew isn't?

I understand both sides, but think as an employee, you should follow the rules.

Jim

QualityLawnCare4u
10-06-2005, 01:50 AM
Henri, I use to work for a company that the tech I went with every day (always sent 2 of us on service calls) was anywhere from 30 minutes to 2 hours late every day and this was for 20 years! The boss would send me to his house at least once a week to try and wake him up. He never got fired either and got rid of me before slowpoke retired and I was never late one time. I agree your employees should be on time but 3-6 minutes after what I worked with I would not make a real big deal of it.

Mower For Less
10-06-2005, 12:13 PM
Yeah, I think 3-6 minutes after 3 years of seniority is being pretty anal. When I used to work "for the man" I think the earliest I ever got there was 15 minutes late. Sometimes an hour or two late. My co-workers would joke that I was just comming in for lunch. However, it was a field service job, and alot of the times I would leave directly from home and go to a different shop to work in each day, so my start time was really when I left home. Only ocassionally would I go into an office and see my co-workers. My deadlines were usually given in terms of days, not hours. I tended to work faster than alot of the other guys, so I could start late and still finish on time. I worked in that industry for 10 years, and never complained about working late, so in return my bosses never really complained about me starting late, so long as I was never REALLY late for anything important (big meetings, emergencies, etc...). And for the last 4 years I worked salary, so I ended up being even MORE lax about starting times, and on days with nothing to do I would just stay home. I honestly think that being on salary made me lazier, which in turn did not feel to good (I dont like being lazy), which is one of the reasons I started this biz, to break out of the lazy habit. But even still, I wouldnt complain about 3-6 minutes. I think after 15-20 minutes EVERY DAY I might get a little edgy, but I try to remember how I was as an employee too.

Kevin

Varsity L&G
10-06-2005, 12:21 PM
A company I used to work for would bill you for the man hours you were late. If you being 10 minutes late caused 4 others to have to sit at the office and wait on you. You were billed on your next check for the 40 minutes of wasted man hours. Didn't take long before people started showing up early.