PDA

View Full Version : Exmark vs. Toro

HLM86
10-05-2005, 10:19 PM
Is one really any better than the other? Compare a toro 48" w/ 19 hp kawisaki with the turbo force deck to the exmark equivalent. I'm trying to make a decision on a mower and want to make the right one. Thanks.

ODUrugger
10-05-2005, 10:45 PM
I looked into that recently. I was looking into the 52 inchers though. What I found out through going to a few local comercial lawn places here was that Exmark had been bought by Toro. For years Toro couldn't bust into the zero trun market. When they bought Exmark they instantly procurred the designs and patents to all exmark machines... Well... they've left exmark as an independently operating entity, but produce the same models themselves with slight alterations. Point is... the machines are darn near identical... and exmark can charge more since they have dominated the grass cutting world for years. So.. I went Toro becuase I could get the same machine for 1600 less.

JT

firstclasslawncareandplow
10-05-2005, 10:48 PM
I talked to the guys at the local exmark dealer and the 06 lazer z's have an absolutely incredeble deck that "supposedly can cut in downpouring rain and not clog up" they should be in the dealers withing a couple months. The deck is 6" deep, the hydrolic pumps are now 6 valve and fan cooled, there is a ton of engine options including a 35hp v-twin BIG BLOCK.. and a liquid cooled diesel. I would definentally check into those if i were you.

HLM86
10-05-2005, 11:47 PM
that 06 exmark will be too much $$$$$ for me. thanks for the replys

kc2006
10-06-2005, 12:13 AM
I demo'd (and paid 100 dollars to demo) a toro 52" with 23hp kohler the other day with turbo force deck. It was horrible and a waste of 100 bucks and made a customer mad at me.

The cut itself is very nice and manicured looking, if you were using a vac. The deck has alot of power but can't cut up the clippings fine enough (i tried playing with the deck setting) and the clippings lay on top of the grass so I had to double cut most of the lawns. The anti-scalp wheels scalped on turns where there was a slight bump in the ground (they'd basicly dig in the ground).

I demo'd an exmark the next day. In 5" maybe 6" tall grass cutting it down to 3 1/4" it did perfect, the clippings were cut up so fine that you couldn't see them at all, the deck striped like mad! (the toro didnt at all) the mower just seemed "tighter" to me. I could mow alot faster and it didn't bog at all (this was a 60" 27hp older style deck, not the new one).

Price was 400 more for the exmark with suspension seat (7999 for toro 60" 27hp, 8300 for the exmark). I'm going to have to talk with the dealer about the 06's.

With the z's of today, the only major difference is the deck, yes theres little different features. But I'm looking for the best cutting most effiecent mower. I know quality is there with bother companies but the decks are totally different and proved to me which to go with.

firstclasslawncareandplow
10-06-2005, 12:22 AM
I have a liquid cooled 27 kawa and I physically can't bog it. I absolutely love my mower. By the way....look into the exmarks, some are more, some are less, depends on the features that you need. I LOVE MY MOWER, but whatever works best for you.

PS- i find it real intersting that so many companys charge for a demo. I bought from a dealer in Byron Center, MI......AWESOME COMPANY Free demos, if you buy from them and your mower needs service...they give you a demo for FREE to use until yours is fixed. That is customer service. I highly recomend Kubota of West Michigan!

kc2006
10-06-2005, 12:28 AM
I tried out the 27 kohler air cooled.

I wanted to try something new that day so I didn't really care about spending the 100 bucks, it kept me busy.

I must say, when it comes to company support, Hustler is the best (to me) they actually had a rep drive a couple hours and bring 3 mowers for me to try and play with. He left them here while he went to a meeting and asked if I wanted to keep using the one to get a better feel for it. Very nice guys, the mower has alot of great features but I honestly wasn't 100% impressed with the cut. The exmark is pretty much number 1 for me, dealer is good too so thats a plus.

lawnman_scott
10-06-2005, 12:50 AM
If you deal with dealers for parts and service I would pick the one that deals with commercial cutters and not home owners, Exmark.