PDA

View Full Version : Should he pay or not?

pjslawncare/landscap
10-05-2005, 11:06 PM
One of my workers borrowed one of my hedge trimmers and it got stolen from his side yard, should he pay and how much? It was a Echo hc-1500 with maybe 20 to 30 hours on it

Lawn-Scapes
10-05-2005, 11:13 PM
Usually when someone borrows something.. they accept responsibility for that something. So yes... he should.

Does he not want to?

pjslawncare/landscap
10-05-2005, 11:16 PM
He is a good guy, he feels bad & is willing for me to deduct it from his pay. Im just not shure how much. I paid $249 last year for it. I was thinking about half of a little more

Brianslawn
10-05-2005, 11:26 PM
yes he should pay for it.... wait, you said an echo... he did you a favor! J/K!

determine fair market value for it and deduct it from his pay.

Keith
10-05-2005, 11:30 PM
Have him pay you back $150 or so over maybe a 6 week period. That way you get part of your loss back, it doesn't take too much out of his pocket in one shot, and he is now aware that he should take better care of your stuff when you are a nice guy and let him borrow something.

The Captain
10-06-2005, 12:20 AM
Let him pay back so much a week, unless he quits. Then the unpaid balance comes out of his last check. What ever you decide, put it in writing. Have him and you both sign it. It's amazing how much weight that piece of paper gives to an agreement.

Jim

walker-talker
10-06-2005, 02:19 AM
I would charge him what it would cost to replace the unit.

MOW ED
10-06-2005, 06:44 AM
The only thing you should have been involved with is when he came up to you with a brand new exact replacement in the box along with the explanation.
Doesn't it just make sence that if you borrow something that isn't yours and you break it or lose it then you replace it? This is a simple question without need for a massive discussion. Take responsibility for your actions.
Why should you have to pay anything for his error. You were good enough to let him borrow it and good guy or not he let you down. Now you feel as if you have to give him a hundred bucks because of the error. That trimmer was used but it was not finished with its useful life. 30 hours or not it could have brought in much more profit. Now you have to replace it and you will not get one for 150 dollars.
He should have just sucked it up and bought you a new one, the mistake is on him not you.

CutInEdge Lawn Care
10-06-2005, 07:54 AM
You loan equipment without a rental fee for wear and tear on equip?

At $240 with only 30 hrs on it, it cost you aprox $8/hr to opperate add another $100 to that and your new opperating cost sky rocket to a wopping $11.63/hr not including time spent buying, advertising, etc... or jobs turned away until matter is sorted out.

I say he pays full price. It's not like it was on it's last leg and you were going to buy a new one next week.

In the future I would have a stipulation that anything borrowed will be replaced at full value. Cover your bases.

pjslawncare/landscap
10-06-2005, 10:00 PM
In the future I would have a stipulation that anything borrowed will be replaced at full value. Cover your bases.

Good idea!.

bobbygedd
10-06-2005, 10:36 PM
i wouldn't make him pay . how long has he been with you?

Woody82986
10-06-2005, 10:59 PM
How long have you employed him? If you have employed him for quite a while I might be inclined to let it slide with a stern warning about taking care of your stuff. If he hasn't "proven" himself yet, I would probably go with the repayment route. Whether you would deduct the full amount of the replacement cost or just a fraction, would be up to you.

lqmustang
10-06-2005, 11:23 PM
I would want him to replace it, but I wouldn't take it out of his check. If you take it out of his check and he would end up making less than minimum wage you could get in trouble. You also don't want it to somehow look like repaying the money is a condition of his employment which is also illegal.

olderthandirt
10-06-2005, 11:43 PM
He should have just sucked it up and bought you a new one, the mistake is on him not you.

The mistake is on both you don't loan out the tools that feed the family. So I would make him pay $200 for the loss and you eat the other $50 for loaning your Business equipment out.

It could have cost you a lot more if you had need them and they were not available and it cost you a job.