PDA

View Full Version : Labor cost

Capitol Lawn
10-06-2005, 01:45 AM
whats the going rate for laborers/workers?
does the type of work matter? ( mowing, landscaping....etc)
what should i be paying?

mharris
10-06-2005, 02:00 AM
i pay 10.00 per hour for my laborer

Capitol Lawn
10-06-2005, 02:02 AM
really?
sounds like alot?
what kind of work?

rodfather
10-06-2005, 07:37 AM
My guys make a minimum of $15 an hour no matter what they are doing.

lawnprosteveo
10-06-2005, 04:20 PM
When I had two helpers, they were paid $13/hour. They were very good though. Also worked very fast.

LawnBoy89
10-06-2005, 08:16 PM
If you are charging $50 - $60 per man hour it shoudlnt be a problem to pay a good worker $15. I'm usually the employee but when I have my friends help me I usually pay them around $15 if they work good.

MudslinginFX4
10-06-2005, 08:49 PM
My guys start out at $9. If they are good, it goes up from there, if not their gone before they get to $10.

Capitol Lawn
10-07-2005, 01:00 AM
thanks for the info green guys!!

proenterprises
10-07-2005, 10:09 AM
Around here, 8-10/hr is good for starting with experience for basic labor. Qualifications and experience push it up from their.

jtrice11
10-07-2005, 01:22 PM
whats the going rate for laborers/workers?
does the type of work matter? ( mowing, landscaping....etc)
what should i be paying?

Usually you get what you pay for. I pay my guys 12 an hour and I trust them with my life. Right now they are in my truck, using my brand new equipment, cutting my accounts, and I am not worried one single bit.

Capitol Lawn
10-10-2005, 03:47 PM
[QUOTE=jtrice11]Usually you get what you pay for. I pay my guys 12 an hour and I trust them with my life. Right now they are in my truck, using my brand new equipment, cutting my accounts, and I am not worried one single bit.

thats the life right there!!!!!

Precision
10-10-2005, 04:56 PM
Wages vary by location in a really big way.

Is your area unionized in other fields, what is the cost of housing and other COLA issues?

Here in Florida, standard start pay is $8.00 per hour. I have one guy at that who will soon get a raise and another guy (foreman) at $12.50.

With responsiblity should come higher pay. Also look into providing a base wage plus performance based incentives. Very good for motivation and retention of good employees. It puts them in charge of their own raises.

ex: $.25/ hour for showing up on time every day during the week
$100 monthly per employee for no abuse or neglect damage to equipment

whatever works for your business. But if you are willing to pay $9.00 per hour but pay $8.00 plus on time bonus of $.25 per hour and $.50 per hour for having a spray liscense and $.25 per hour for no abuse or neglect damage to equipment. I guarantee you will weed out the dopes quicker and the good employees will feel empowered to make sure the others are doing good. Best thing it costs you nothing extra except a little paperwork.

JTW
10-10-2005, 05:22 PM
You guys tallking on the books or under the table?

rodfather
10-10-2005, 05:24 PM
Only thing I do "under the table" is feed some scraps to my dog.

1MajorTom
10-10-2005, 06:20 PM
Speaking of under the table:
Paying employees under the table is just way too risky. I have known a few guys who were stupid enough to try this practice for awhile. :dizzy:

Some excuses used to justify paying cash wages “under the table”?
• To avoid tax and insurance expenses associated with payroll.
• To create an unfair competitive advantage.
• Employees request no withholdings.
• Reduces bookkeeping burden.
• It is a practice in some industries.

Are you really avoiding payroll tax expenses?
No! Let’s compare two employers: Employer A is properly reporting. Employer B is not, and is undergoing a payroll audit.
Employer A is reporting yearly payroll of $100,000 (five employees at $20,000 each). The expense to this employer is the Unemployment Insurance and Employment Training payroll taxes, up to the wage limit of $7,000 per employee.
Employer B paid the same $100,000 in wages for the year. However, this employer paid cash wages under the table, was audited, and did not keep records of payments made to specific employees. Therefore, this employer could not prove there were only five employees. An auditor had to assess taxes on the full $100,000 in wages paid.

Precision
10-11-2005, 09:55 AM
Speaking of under the table:
Paying employees under the table is just way too risky. I have known a few guys who were stupid enough to try this practice for awhile. :dizzy:

Some excuses used to justify paying cash wages “under the table”?
• To avoid tax and insurance expenses associated with payroll.
• To create an unfair competitive advantage.
• Employees request no withholdings.
• Reduces bookkeeping burden.
• It is a practice in some industries.

Are you really avoiding payroll tax expenses?
No! Let’s compare two employers: Employer A is properly reporting. Employer B is not, and is undergoing a payroll audit.
Employer A is reporting yearly payroll of $100,000 (five employees at $20,000 each). The expense to this employer is the Unemployment Insurance and Employment Training payroll taxes, up to the wage limit of $7,000 per employee.
Employer B paid the same $100,000 in wages for the year. However, this employer paid cash wages under the table, was audited, and did not keep records of payments made to specific employees. Therefore, this employer could not prove there were only five employees. An auditor had to assess taxes on the full $100,000 in wages paid.

Not to mention potential fines and jail time. Where does the cash come from? Not reporting income, then the IRS gets involved. Paying out of your personal money, then you just shifted the taxation to yourself and not the employees.

Bottom line, if you can't afford to pay your payroll taxes and insurance you can't afford to be in business. Just like the Ferarri in the driveway with no money for gas or insurance. Buy a car you can drive. In our business, charge rates that allow you to make money without cheating, or get out.

neversatisfiedj
10-11-2005, 10:06 AM
10-12 for unskilled labor