PDA

View Full Version : Core Aerating/Slit Seeding after Rain

cosmo
10-06-2005, 09:00 AM
I plan to core aerate then over seed with a slit seeder. I was planning on doing this on Sat. I live in orange county NY (southern NY). The ground is so hard here do to lack of rain. They are calling for rain Friday and sat. morning. I feel the aerating will work well right after the rain. I am not sure if I should hold off on the slit seeder until next week. This would give the lawn/plugs plenty of drying time. Unfortunately I only have weekends to do this. The property is about 42000 sq. ft. My question is, does anyone see any problems aerating this weekend and slit seeding next weekend. any suggestions or feed back would be appreciated.

nate1422
10-06-2005, 12:51 PM
You are starting to run very short on growing season, you might want to throw caution to the wind and do everything this weekend or wait till spring.

joshua
10-06-2005, 11:28 PM
you need to check on when is the latest you can seed in your area. right now oct. 10 is the latest in northest ohio, i'd geuss that your time might of come and gone. if so just wait til first week in nov. and do a do it this way the seed germinates next year and not this year.

turfcobob
10-07-2005, 05:53 PM
If yu slit seed when it is still quite wet you will have problems. The wet soil called mud will mess up your slit seeder, ball up your seed and generally screw up the whole operation.

It is a paradox indeed..You about have to aerate when it is damp to wet and seed when it is dry. So aerate as best you can 10 to 14 holes per sq ft. then seed as soon as it is dry enough. Cut the seed slits at least 1/ 4 to 3/8 inch into the soil so they will catch the seeds. the aeration holes will also make good seed bed.

I have even had late season seed in an aeration hole wait till the next spring and come up.

turfcobob