PDA

View Full Version : 553 Bobcat

ToroLandscaper
10-06-2005, 04:24 PM
I posted this in another forum but no one repsonded so here it is agian
I'm not really looking at the bobcat 553 but they do interest me there is no way i could buy one now but i do want to ask a couple questions.....First one can you put a backhoe attchment on a 553 and if you can is it worth a damn lol........second i was thinking of being able to load mulch into a truck and on bigger jobs moving mulch around.......what are your guys comments on this machine? And about what is the average cost of one of these and what is the amount of hours you would buy one with.

Any comments apreciated

cutntrim
10-07-2005, 08:41 PM
I bought a 553 last November and used it primarily for snow in the winter, and for landscaping in the summer. Previous years I had either rented or subcontracted skidsteers. I was after a small-sized skidsteer that I could float in my dump trailer, would fit in my storage garages, and could be used in tight areas. The 553 has been a good fit so far. It will lift high enough to load a dump truck, and there are multiple attachments you can get for it. I have a light materials bucket for mulch and snow, a toothed bucket for excavation work, and a blade for plowing snow. Got a heated cab, soundproofing, and backup alarm. $30,000 here in Canada.

There isn't much competition in that small of a size. The other brand I looked at was Thomas (Canadian co.) but opted for the Bobcat because I'd rented them many times and was familiar with them, and there reputation and resale is greater than Thomas'.

As far as a backhoe attachment, I wouldn't be able to find one to rent, so I'd have to buy. Frankly a dedicated mini-x is far superior to an attachment for a skidsteer. It'll be easier to operate (greater manueverability, better sightlines and controls), can dig deeper and more accurately and can be rented rather than purchased if used only occasionally. Not to mention that storing and transporting the attachment for a skidsteer is not easy.

Keep renting until you know you'll have enough work to pay for the machine, and try different units before buying. Also make sure it's a smaller one you want. If you can do it, it's always worth upsizing your equipment to get more work done and get it done faster. (I'd love a two-speed machine for winter).

Good luck.

PurpHaze
10-07-2005, 10:25 PM
I posted this in another forum but no one repsonded so here it is agian
I'm not really looking at the bobcat 553 but they do interest me there is no way i could buy one now but i do want to ask a couple questions.....First one can you put a backhoe attchment on a 553 and if you can is it worth a damn lol........second i was thinking of being able to load mulch into a truck and on bigger jobs moving mulch around.......what are your guys comments on this machine? And about what is the average cost of one of these and what is the amount of hours you would buy one with.

Any comments apreciated

I'm not sure about the 553 but we use a 773 quite a lot. It has many attachments including the backhoe. It can dig down to 6' quite well and we've used it at that depth for irrigation main line repairs. We use the backhoe exclusively for installing main lines 4" d. and bigger and it gives us plenty of operating and installation room in the trench.

I'd post a picture of it but someone in a different forum called me on the carpet for posting even site-legal pictures. :dizzy: