PDA

View Full Version : Sod Job...Please Help!!!

Sasquatch52
10-06-2005, 06:13 PM
Ok, one of my weekly customers has asked me to give her a price on giving her a whole new lawn. She has fescue right now, but she wants me to put in 419 bermuda. Its not a huge yard. I measured it out....I tried breaking down the yard into rectangles or squares. Then multiplyed the secions length X width...correct?

My question is, i came up with 7,010 sq. ft. Then, dont you take that number and divide it by 500 ( the 500 is representing 500 square feet per pallet of sod) and that should tell you how many pallets to buy, correct or not??? Well, my calculator shows 14.2 pallets of sod. But it does not seem like the yard would need 14 pallets!

For example, the front yard is 68' long and 30' wide. That means there is alittle over 2000 sq. ft., so that means the front yard needs 4 pallets of sod? The front yard just does not look like it would take 4 pallets! I am confused! I have layed my fair share of sod in my days, but that was when i was working for someone else who figured out the math.

Does this sound around the ballpark? Last question, this might help me picture it better, on average how wide and long can 1 pallet be spread? Example: 50'X60'....I dont know? Please, Please Help. I need to get a quote together for this lady. Thanks :confused:

JKOOPERS
10-06-2005, 06:18 PM
how many sq yards come on a pallet. here in stl its 40 - 60 deoending on type of grass .

JKOOPERS
10-06-2005, 06:31 PM
i came up with 14 pallets but i would oder extra never know what you will run into.

Sasquatch52
10-06-2005, 08:53 PM
So you think that sounds about right? Again, how many feet length by width can a pallet be spread?

sgallaher
10-06-2005, 09:01 PM
The best thing to do is call the sod supplier and ask them how many sqft are on a pallet. The pallets that I get usually have 500-600sq ft of sod.

Az Gardener
10-06-2005, 09:21 PM
They must make it tough on you, we just tell them the Sq. ftg and they send it on out. But seriously I would be more concerned of the clients choice of 419, thats a great fairway turf meant to be cut at 3/8"-3/4" with a reel mower. You cut it with a rotary for a season in that humidity I would think you are going to have all kinds of fungus problems. I get my fair share of new clients because someone is cutting a tiffway or tiffgreen with a rotary mower and it looks bad. The clients just cant figure out whats up it looked so nice in the brochure. I would recommend a midiron. Ill give you that fescue is crap but 419 is a high maint. turf. I would order about 5% more than you think you need.

Gilla Gorilla
10-06-2005, 09:54 PM
A 5' wide by 100' long section of lawn is 500 sq ft. The square footage always seems low to me until I actually take the measurements

Sasquatch52
10-06-2005, 10:16 PM
Thanks guys, I will recommend to the lady that she needs a more common bermuda. Or maybe even a Zoysia. In my area most all pallets are 450-500 sq. ft. It just seemed like 14 pallets was too much, but i guess its not.

Thanks guys for the info.

Anyone else got any advice for me?

Everything is greatly apprieciated!

RedWingsDet
10-06-2005, 11:10 PM
Ok, one of my weekly customers has asked me to give her a price on giving her a whole new lawn. She has fescue right now, but she wants me to put in 419 bermuda. Its not a huge yard. I measured it out....I tried breaking down the yard into rectangles or squares. Then multiplyed the secions length X width...correct?

My question is, i came up with 7,010 sq. ft. Then, dont you take that number and divide it by 500 ( the 500 is representing 500 square feet per pallet of sod) and that should tell you how many pallets to buy, correct or not??? Well, my calculator shows 14.2 pallets of sod. But it does not seem like the yard would need 14 pallets!

For example, the front yard is 68' long and 30' wide. That means there is alittle over 2000 sq. ft., so that means the front yard needs 4 pallets of sod? The front yard just does not look like it would take 4 pallets! I am confused! I have layed my fair share of sod in my days, but that was when i was working for someone else who figured out the math.

Does this sound around the ballpark? Last question, this might help me picture it better, on average how wide and long can 1 pallet be spread? Example: 50'X60'....I dont know? Please, Please Help. I need to get a quote together for this lady. Thanks :confused:

if its 7000 then just tell you supplier and they'll do the rest. My supplier delivers for free if its over 5 or so pallets (700sqft) per pallet.

with only 500sq feet per pallet you can EAISLY do that in 15min with 2 guys

NickN
10-07-2005, 10:11 AM
I install and maintain Tifway 419 all the time.You won't have a fungus problem other than from overwatering at the wrong times.I also cut them with a Toro ZTR.Stripes great at 2".
Pallet here is 450 sq ft/50 yards.Order one extra pallet to be on the safe side.Usually there are alot of scrap pieces or pieces that aren't cut at the correct depth.Make sure to line up the pieces so the beveled edges meet correctly.Water and roll the sod for good soil contact.
Fertilize with 1lb of N per 1000 sq feet,once per month during the growing season.Start the mowing season at 1-1.5" and keep it that way as long as possible.You'll have to raise the height around August to prevent scalping.SHould be around 2-2.25" by first frost.

Sasquatch52
10-07-2005, 10:13 AM
Im not worried about the time it will take, I am just a little nervous about ordering 14 pallets. I just cant picture it being that much. I will go back today and remeasure, just for safty sake.

NickN
10-07-2005, 10:25 AM
14 pallets sounds like alot,but it really isn't when you're laying it.Well,except for your back and muscles.I'd order 16 to be safe.I charge 175 per pallet installed,not including prep,but does include rolling.So,2800 installed,sod cost is going to be 800 at 16 pallets.Gross profit of 2000.Will take most of one day to install correctly with matched seams and rolling.(Assuming no prep work)
Have 2 men pulling from the pallets and bringing pieces over to the installers.2 men on the ground installing.A John Deere Gator helps alot in this situation.You could use wheelbarrows or a mower with a sturdy cart pulled behind.The guys pulling sod should throw the pieces down,so that the installers only have to match the seams.

Sasquatch52
10-07-2005, 02:43 PM
Thanks NickN, I am going to order 15 I think be cause the amount came out to be 14.2 pallets so 15, maybe 16 will do. I sure hope! I called quite a few sod farms and the average price, delivered, was about $1,500 for the sod.

One more question, whats the difference between myers and emerald zoysia, and the difference between quickstand and 419 bermuda. I showed a pic of zoysia to the customer liked what she saw. Sooo, its a toss up right now. I know zoysia is more, but most of the sod farms carry both kinds of zoysia and bermuda, so i was just wondering what the difference was?

Thanks for the help!

Gilla Gorilla
10-07-2005, 05:12 PM
$1500 sounds a couple hunderd dollars to much for my area even factoring in the delivery charge. Did you make sure to tell them that you were a landscape contractor from XYZ company when you first called for the quote?

JKOOPERS
10-07-2005, 08:43 PM
i just did a sod install with myer zoysia tuesday i will post some pics this weekend.

Sasquatch52
10-07-2005, 09:08 PM
Did you make sure to tell them that you were a landscape contractor from XYZ company when you first called for the quote?

Yes, thats the lowest price i could get. :angry:

i just did a sod install with myer zoysia tuesday i will post some pics this weekend.

Yea, can you please post some pics, like to see how the meyer turned out? :blob4:
thanks

JKOOPERS
10-08-2005, 12:35 AM
heres a few pics i got . i paid $100 per pallet delivered and staged.

JKOOPERS
10-08-2005, 12:41 AM
a before pic

Sasquatch52
10-08-2005, 09:27 AM
How many pallets was that? What was the square footage?

JKOOPERS
10-08-2005, 12:56 PM
well 20 pallets total for the whole yard but i did the front 3 weeks before then the homeowner liked it so much he then wanted the back too . they only put 40 sq yards per pallet b/c is it a much thicker cut . total sq ft was right around 7200.

clcare
10-09-2005, 12:29 PM
her we have 9sq. feet per roll i just divide the sq. feet of the yard by 9 and thats how many rolls you need, let the sod supplier figure out how many rolls he wants to put on a skid to fill the order

sheshovel
10-16-2005, 08:42 PM
right clcare,it looks like JKOOPERS gets his on pattetts laid flat out.That's wierd to me,I've always had it in rolls 9sq' also.

Dirty Water
10-16-2005, 08:47 PM
right clcare,it looks like JKOOPERS gets his on pattetts laid flat out.That's wierd to me,I've always had it in rolls 9sq' also.

Our local turf farm delivers in flat palettes as well. I think it depends on what machines the farms use to harvest.

JKOOPERS
10-17-2005, 12:29 PM
zoysia is a pretty thick cut , you get more on a pallet by laying it flat .