PDA

View Full Version : Where are You Spending Too Much Money?

Writer
10-06-2005, 06:33 PM
I'm looking to talk to a few landscapers on how they "Make Every Dollar" count in their business. I'm preparing an online article for one of the major home improvement stores that will speak to other landscape contractors. The theme in general asks the question, does your money work as hard as it can for your business? Here are "five" areas you are probably spending too much money. Cost might refer to materials, office operations, personnel and training, best practice installations, marketing, or other areas. I'd like to add a side bar of instances where you feel money is well-spent. If you'd like to participate in the article and share with other contractors, write me back with a contact number and I'll be in touch later today or tomorrow.

Thanks!

Jeff

Gavo Communications, Inc. Helping You Build---Identity.Direction.Sales

Jeff Gavin, owner
Chicago, IL
gavo7@comcast.net

olderthandirt
10-06-2005, 06:55 PM
I see Jeff selling an article to major home improvement stores and making money off other peoples money saving ideas.
So how much is Jeff paying for the best suggestion ?????????????????????????????????

Writer
10-07-2005, 11:19 AM
I see Jeff selling an article to major home improvement stores and making money off other peoples money saving ideas.
So how much is Jeff paying for the best suggestion ?????????????????????????????????
Mac,

Come on. I'm trying to put an article together that will be helpful to other landscapers. If you have some advice on how to make every dollar count in a landscaping business, let me know.

Regards,

Jeff
gavo7@comcast.net

olderthandirt
10-07-2005, 11:36 AM
Mac,

Come on. I'm trying to put an article together that will be helpful to other landscapers. If you have some advice on how to make every dollar count in a landscaping business, let me know.

Regards,

Jeff
gavo7@comcast.net

Well heck Jeff after doing this as my sole source of income for 30 yrs I'm always in the mood to give out MY secrets and advise to help my competition get the edge up on me. But since you asked nicely I'll give you one. Don't waste any dollars because there getting harder to come by :laugh: And a man has to know his cost! dam that was 2

DLS1
10-07-2005, 05:02 PM
With Bobby as my inspiration, I am now in consulting so how much do you pay for advice for your article. :D

QualityLawnCare4u
10-07-2005, 06:37 PM
My biggest expense was gas, hands down. Had to many scattered accounts and the wasted estimates were killing me. Ive solved the estimate problem and have had to let a few yards go that were no longer profitable because of the drive time.

Ax Man
10-08-2005, 08:28 AM
I agree, droping the unprofitable accounts, and switching to diesel have helped me a lot this year. I try to mow out and back to the shop by the end of the day, if you know what I mean.

grassyfras
10-08-2005, 11:36 AM
Not buying stuff that doesn't work and having it sit. Diversifying too muich in the business.

CharlieBingo
10-08-2005, 11:44 AM
I think we spend too much on trucks and not enough on equipment.