PDA

View Full Version : Small chipper to condense shrub trimmings

Az Gardener
10-06-2005, 08:28 PM
Is any one using a small chipper/shredder to condense shrub and small tree trimmings? I was considering mounting a small chipper to a stake bed so when we trim (not hedge) shrubs we can go longer between dumps. We have a lot of woody ornamentals that take up a lot of capacity but not much weight. I would like to know if any one is doing something similar and what machine they are using. And finally is it worth the grief?

Az Gardener
10-07-2005, 10:45 AM
My big concern is that given the size of the machine I want it is what a homeowner would buy, but I would be using it daily 8 months of the year. So I would need a commercial unit. I haven't seed one around here, just homeowner models. Any feedback would be appreciated.

newz7151
10-07-2005, 11:24 AM
My big concern is that given the size of the machine I want it is what a homeowner would buy, but I would be using it daily 8 months of the year. So I would need a commercial unit. I haven't seed one around here, just homeowner models. Any feedback would be appreciated.

My belief in a chipper is this. The engine is the pudding. The "blade" is basically a big assed disk with a slit in it and whatnot with the small "blade" cutters.

If you want something that you think will last longer, either get one with a commercial grade engine on it or buy a homeowner model and then put an engine with a cast sleeve on it or get a Vanguard model and stick it on there.

I would however stay away from the models that use plastic type materials for the chute and feed side.

mmacsek
10-07-2005, 01:45 PM
I bought a Mighty Mac 10hp chipper/shredder this past summer. It exceeds my expectations. I think they classify it as light commercial/heavy duty homeowner. The shredder can handle up to 1" dia. and the chipper up to 3" dia. The engine is 10 hp Briggs Intek I/C. The design hasn't changed since the 60's. I tend to push chippers to the limit and it didn't burp. It has 4 pneumatic tires and I paid about 1500.00 for it. They also sell a tow behind model with a Vanguard 18hp and bigger capacity for about 4000.00. Don't let thesize fool you. Good luck. Matt

olderthandirt
10-07-2005, 01:52 PM
I have one from TSC a homeowner model and use it for exactly what you described. It works great to reduce the volume on debri but it only gets used 1-2 times a yr. Had it for about 10 yrs and might have 150 hrs on it. never had any problems, But I doubt it would hold up to daily work and its also small if you want to save time.

DuallyVette
10-10-2005, 11:47 PM
My neighbor had a small chipper. It looked like a waste of time. I bought a Morbark 2090 9 inch. I use it for limbing up trees and cutting shrubbery way back. Nothing less would do IMHO.

John Gamba
10-11-2005, 07:59 AM
My neighbor had a small chipper. It looked like a waste of time. I bought a Morbark 2090 9 inch. I use it for limbing up trees and cutting shrubbery way back. Nothing less would do IMHO.

Sweet:D :D payup

Runner
10-12-2005, 12:49 AM
That machine there is NOT a waste of time. I have a friend who rented one one time so I used it on that Sunday to take care of the limbs of 4 tall spruce trees I took down in my yard. Cool machine.

KurtisInIowa
10-27-2005, 04:37 AM
I think they are great to have. Never had a problem with mine. I have an old Promark 6" disc chipper mounted to the front of a dual axle trailer with a dump box on the back of it. I get to unhook it and get my truck back at end of day. Plus, I converted the air intake to a leaf vacuum which also works great! I have a smaller niche in the tree market so for me it's perfect!
My only advice/caution for you is that i've found that it's the shrubs, like juniper, cotoneaster, holly, etc that can be a real bear to chip. Those shrubs like to grow all knotty and curly which makes it tough to feed into the chipper. But i say go for it.
Kurtis
KMS Outdoor Services