PDA

View Full Version : Picea Abies saplings need advice

luckylawnboy
03-20-2001, 08:42 AM
I need some advice from tree growers out there. WE just planted about 100 Norway Spruce saplings that are about 8" t0 12" tall. We are using them for a wind break and want to get maximum growth as quick as possible. Any suggestion on watering, fertilization would be a help. We put them in the groung March 18 2001.

Lanelle
03-20-2001, 12:11 PM
Did you say 8 - 12 inches tall? That's a liner, not even a sapling. You'll be waiting quite a while for those to grow into a windbreak. They are moderate to slow growers. You might consider putting in some Leyland Cypress for a rapid-growing tree.

steveair
03-20-2001, 01:20 PM
Yes, those are small.

I would suggest watering regularly, especially if it gets hot this summer. They will burn out quick.

Also, keep all vegetation/weeds away from them. I would use a piece of fabric about 3 feet wide and then mulch for the row. They will get out gunned by any/all weeds and grass growing around them. Also, will be very important to continue this for years to come, either by spraying or mechanical methods.

Saw a study done at a christmas tree farm once, and the difference between the trees that were kept weed free and the trees that had grass/weeds around them was drastic, like 2 feet + for some over 5 years.

steveair.