PDA

View Full Version : considering dixie chopper

erna
10-07-2005, 09:27 AM
What is your experience with them. Good or bad. I need imput. :waving:

tinman
10-07-2005, 09:31 AM
have 2 ....tough machines. good cut, fast , dependable. Not the best on hills, but that is the only negative for me.

Fatheroftwo
10-07-2005, 09:45 AM
:blob4: Hope you have better luck then I. Only 300 hours and uses 2 quarts of oil every 3 hours. I've also had both hydrostats replaced (warranty) but it was out of service for a week. I'd consider something else. Food for Thought.

TURF DOCTOR
10-07-2005, 09:48 AM
We did give it a chanch but went with scag,42 inch 19 kaw-dixie was a 44 inch 22 hp to me the welds looked homemade people here say the cut is great.

brinlee lawn
10-07-2005, 09:55 AM
like tinman said, I have had nothing but good luck but they are not the best on hills.

TLS
10-07-2005, 10:29 AM
Some love them some hate them.

I used to love them.

Then I hated them.

Now, they're just middle of the pack to me.

It's personal preference and what your used to. You should always try one during your mowing career.

For me, I would have to re-think how I mow just about every one of my lawns if I were to switch back to DC.

Do a search, there's a good weeks worth of discussion about them.

Richard Martin
10-07-2005, 10:38 AM
I'm on my second one and both of them have been literally flawless.

But as TLS said, they are not for everybody but then no mower is.

fearthedeere
10-07-2005, 10:41 AM
I love my Dixie Chopper, and although I'll probably demo many other brands when it comes that time for another one or a replacement, I'll probably end up with another Dixie. Check out sites connected with Dixie Chopper's site if you're considering buying a chopper. Although they're probably a little biased towards the choppers on the forum I'm alluding to, there's plenty of knowledgeable people over there with thousands of hours of experience with choppers. Make sure you've got a good dealer nearby though-not having parts is a pain.

Advantages:

OCDC
Industry-leading blade tip speed
Awesome striping capabilities
up to 15mph mow speed on some models (although I wouldn't reccomend mowing like that in all conditions of course)
Great power
Easy to work on and less parts to go wrong
The deck cleans itself out quite well in many conditions (however, when it's too wet, it's too wet)
Turf Boss Tires

Disadvantages:

with my dixie while mowing a very old cemetary, I hit an old fallen over headstone which ended up bending the deck shell a bit. I would argue that the deck shell could at least look a little tougher like scages or exmarks, but I would figure that may detract from it's awesome cutting abilities.

Ditto with the hill capabilities--weight distribution on them is not all the greatest. It's walk-behind time on the steeper hills and ditches imo.

wowlawncare
10-07-2005, 12:10 PM
Ive ran dixies for many years and im verry happy with them. Im not going to give you a biast oppinion of them. Ive had my ups an downs with them. On my 05 Xtrems they had a bad batch of hydrogear pumps. I had bolth of them switched out. The new grey decks they have dont cut NEAR what the old black decks did. But they are makeing improvements every year. I hear the 06's are going to be updated. Ive ran exmarks also, the exmark cut is better on some applications. If you stripe dixies will out stripe an exmark with no stripe kit. But an exmark with the exmark factory rooler will do better then the dixies. I run X blades and big league lawn rooler stripers on my dixies. Its right up there with the exmark. As for quality. You will get good eggs and bad eggs with every brand. Id say Demo it and Demo it and Demo it again. Make sure your getting what best fits you. And make sure the dealer is good. One of the best things ive found with dixie. Is if i ever have a question that I cant get answered with them. You can call the factory and talk to Art Evans (owner) and get a real answer and results. Not many other brands will let you talk directly to the owner and ask him anything you want.

Just get what you feel fits you for your lawn and applications.

Likestomow
10-07-2005, 02:50 PM
I love my Dixie Chopper on hills. If I have a steep property to mow, that is all I would use. I have a couple Wright Sentars which are great on hills too, but the really steep ones only get the Dixie on them... it's safer. Also, the hyraulic system on a Dixie is better than any other mower.

Jpocket
10-07-2005, 03:33 PM
:blob4: Hope you have better luck then I. Only 300 hours and uses 2 quarts of oil every 3 hours. I've also had both hydrostats replaced (warranty) but it was out of service for a week. I'd consider something else. Food for Thought.

Sounds like your doing something wrong

Fantasy Lawns
10-07-2005, 03:38 PM
I luv my Dixie (2005).... also have an Exmark Z & 5 Walkers ... all have their place .... it's fast, turns quick lots of power ..... no issues at this time ...new in mid June has 176 hrs as of Oct 1st ... I bought mainly fore the flexi deck to do retention ponds

Here's a side note ... 2 weeks ago the crew cab with 16' trailer n 2 walkers & the Dixie.... loaded with 2 cycle equip ... cut out in the middle of he road ...(bad fuel Pump) ....my foreman unloads the Dixie .... straps a tow rope to it n with the Dixie pulled truck n tailer out of the road onto a side street

This is the truck size that died

http://fantasylawns.com/Big_Red.JPG

TLS
10-07-2005, 03:40 PM
DIXIE CHOPPER:

Worlds fastest mower.

Worlds oddest looking tow truck.

:)

wowlawncare
10-07-2005, 03:44 PM
thats amazing. Dixie waranties thier pumps for a load rating of 2,000 lbs. Id say you were a bit over that. Thier pumps are strong and when Dixie knew there was a pump problem. They found the 500 or so units that were bad and switched bolth units before they went out. Not many manufactures will do that. They will send em out and wait till they go bad and make the user put it in the shop for a day or two. Dixie chopper realized what comercial guys have to do. As ive put in another post. When my dixie was getting its pumps replaced. My dealer took a brand new Xtreme off the showroom and let me use it for the day. $10,100 machenie. Not many companies will let you do that. This is how you earn business.

The mayor
10-07-2005, 03:48 PM
I have had mine for 2 years now. Decent mower. Only minor problems. Better cut than my toro. I wouldn't get rid of either one.

wowlawncare
10-07-2005, 03:55 PM
Another question is what size are you looking at. A big Xtreme or a smaller silver eagle. People can answer your questions better knowing what size your looking into.

Restrorob
10-07-2005, 07:28 PM
How about a Service Technicians view ? Hands down, The best unit we've sold in my 14yr. stint.

:blob4: Hope you have better luck then I. Only 300 hours and uses 2 quarts of oil every 3 hours.

You can't say a unit is no good based on a engine problem, You could have the same problem on any unit, Dixie didn't build the engine.

Now, I'll tell you whats wrong with your engine; One of the head gaskets is blown between the cylinder and the oil return port in the head. All you have to do is take it to your dealer and have them perform a cylinder leak-down test to determine which one is blown and have it replaced. This blown gasket will not show a loss in performance either just use oil.

wowlawncare
10-07-2005, 08:46 PM
How many years have you been selling Dixies Restorob?

Restrorob
10-07-2005, 10:00 PM
How many years have you been selling Dixies Restorob?

Only three thus far, Had Gravley, Snapper Commercial, Case Ingersoll, Hustler, Encore, MTD Pro and Cub Tank. Dixies run circles around all these, I love them because they have fewer breakdowns which makes my job alot easier. :D

wowlawncare
10-08-2005, 01:15 AM
Verry ture and one of the main reasons that I use them. I put many ours on mine a week and they run strong every time I turn the key. And a dixie with doubles will dang near cut down a small forest.

Shady Brook
10-08-2005, 06:51 AM
You have to give the mowers you are interested in a test drive. The Silver eagle series has alot of different features from their premium series. I have tried several throughout dixie's range of products, and wanted badley to like them but in the end, I personally loath them. When I have a mower go in for service and they want to give me a dixie demo to take out I will not take it. I will take any other mower, or just settle for a smaller mower in my possesion then to take one out. Maybe you will like the mower, but test drive one for a while to make sure.

ProMo
10-08-2005, 08:05 AM
mine is 10 years old and still going

Sir mowsalot
10-08-2005, 10:20 AM
I have recently traded my dixie chopper in on a scag wildcat. Here is my opinions on the chopper i had. It cut good, but not great. I can make this statement in comparison to the scag i just bought. Without a comparison you might think a chopper cuts great but it doesnt. The chopper striped real good stock, if you kept the cutting height really high, if you cut around 3and a quarter inches it looked bad, lots of streaks. The chopper absolutelly sucked on hills. It could cut tall grass in a single bound, better than any mower i ever used. It will bounce you all over the place, and your arce will get sore after long days of mowing. It spins the tires really easy in comparison to other brands. My chopper held up, with only minor repairs here and there, very durable. Btw, the mower decks are bent from the factory, causing major streaking issues. Make sure you ask your dealer about this, because they sure wont tell you if you dont ask. These are most of my opinions of my experience with a dixie chopper. Would i ever buy one again? i seriously doubt it, becuase of 2 key issues 1. hills 2. the cut is not great, its good but not great.

TLS
10-08-2005, 02:29 PM
My deck was also tweaked from the factory. Makes it real hard to set the deck up properly.

Yes they are pretty bad on hills compared to others. And it's not due to the tires.

They do cut tall grass better than most bush hogs though!

Lawn Tek
10-08-2005, 03:46 PM
Do they cause skin cancer ? I mean riding arround on a shinny reflective stainless pan in 95 degree heat must inhance your chances of skin cancer .

fearthedeere
10-09-2005, 12:56 AM
They're a love'em or hate'em machine. Before I owned one I just thought they looked plain odd. I later found out that it doesn't take aerodymanics to become the world's fastest lawnmower. Streaking can be an issue, and I wouldn't use single standards on them--the improvement in cutting quality with doubles is just too much for me to ignore. I mean if you ever saw any of Eric Elm's lawns, I think you would find it very hard to say that Dixies cut just "OK".

wowlawncare
10-10-2005, 07:09 PM
Im really anxious to see the improvements in 06. Id still like to put an exmark deck on a dixie body and engine. That would be the best mower on the market.

TLS
10-10-2005, 07:33 PM
Im really anxious to see the improvements in 06. Id still like to put an exmark deck on a dixie body and engine. That would be the best mower on the market.

Then you wouldn't be able to have a front trim zone. The DC bumper hangs out too far preventing you from getting up against poles, trees, mailbox posts, etc.
With the Lazer you just pull up to something between your casters and it will get you real close.

That and the lack of a trim side are just two of my biggest beefs with DC.

wowlawncare
10-10-2005, 08:11 PM
I see your point but ive never had a problem with that. Its only a few inches more on the dixie. Nothing that a trimmer dosnet take care of. Not an issue for me. Or never heard of anyone else complain about that.

TLS
10-10-2005, 08:19 PM
I see your point but ive never had a problem with that. Its only a few inches more on the dixie. Nothing that a trimmer dosnet take care of. Not an issue for me. Or never heard of anyone else complain about that.

Have you used both? Trimmer = more work for me. The closer I can get, the less trimming required. DC didn't allow me to get close enough. Didn't notice it until I went to a Lazer.

wowlawncare
10-10-2005, 08:30 PM
You have to trim around the trees or mailboxes anyways what the difference between 1" or 3" a weedeater takes out about a 10" circle. So i dont think its an issue.

TLS
10-10-2005, 08:32 PM
When you don't have to use a weedeater using a Lazer because you got ALL the grass, it IS an issue.

Trimability is a BIG thing to me.

wowlawncare
10-10-2005, 08:44 PM
I dont buy that it gets close enough to not use a trimmer. Ive seen many exmark crews and they all have to trim. Im not tryign to argue wtih you or start a big discussion. But im sure that you still have to trim.

Tight Angles
10-10-2005, 09:15 PM
I have 3 Dixies and a Bunton. My 2001 Dixie is still running great with the original engine. My 2002 Dixie Flatlander completly sucked on hills and finally got to the point where it wouldn't even go fast on flat ground. I don't even use it now, it just sits in my garage. The 2004 Xtreme Mowshine is great, but Dixie had to replace the original Generac engine after 800hrs because it was having a lot of problems.They just recently warrentied the pump seals too. I've since then put over another 800hrs on the new engine and it runs great. They all seem like they burn a lot of oil though. The Bunton, well, it's just your average mower, but I never had any problems with it.

Lawn-Scapes
10-11-2005, 12:30 AM
I cut with Choppers and think they are okay. You should demo one for yourself though.

tshank
10-11-2005, 02:35 AM

I own a '02 model. What were the improvements for '03, '04, and '05? Maybe I missed something.

Richard Martin
10-11-2005, 03:09 AM
They all seem like they burn a lot of oil though. .

Lower the engine speed to 3650 or even 3600 no load (with the blades off). It should stop or decrease the oil consumption. If you have a grass streaking issue the lower RPM should fix that too.