PDA

View Full Version : Wet Soil - Damaged Turf

Chris Wagner
10-07-2005, 12:01 PM
I have a few areas, particularly that have brick walls that face the North, which the soil constantly stays wet in the early spring and now in the fall. The turf grows well, but taking mowers over it can really make a mess. The rest of the turf say 15-20 feet off the wall in the same area dries out just fine.

I aerate regularly... just got finished a few weeks ago with one. Does anyone have a recommendations for some soil additions that might help the soil not be so wet? In the spring, I tried spreading a little sand / topsoil mix over the area. I'm not convinced that worked.

--Chris

PurpHaze
10-08-2005, 12:46 AM
I have a few areas, particularly that have brick walls that face the North, which the soil constantly stays wet in the early spring and now in the fall. The turf grows well, but taking mowers over it can really make a mess. The rest of the turf say 15-20 feet off the wall in the same area dries out just fine.

What kind of walls (building, retaining, divider, etc.) are you talking about and how high are they? If they're some type of retaining wall what is in the retained area?

Chris Wagner
10-08-2005, 01:47 AM
Brick wall of a building... about 2 floors tall... 20-25 feet or so. Other spot is around 15 feet... again, brick wall of a building.

grassyfras
10-08-2005, 02:58 AM
i Heard of a product that helped absorb water but not sure how well it worked. I think the only true fix would to be either regrade properly or add drainage or both. And no you cant just bury some pipe and throw rock in. Theres alot you need to know about soils and differnt layers. I would hire this out to an expert or just tell the people there SOL. But if you just want to sell them something add some organic matter.

PurpHaze
10-08-2005, 10:39 AM
Brick wall of a building... about 2 floors tall... 20-25 feet or so. Other spot is around 15 feet... again, brick wall of a building.

If the soil throughout the area is pretty much the same I'm now wondering if a micro-climate has been created by excessive shade from the buildings. If this area is getting too much shade water may not filter and evaporate like it should (general terms). During the summer months when it is hotter you don't seem to get this problem; it shows up when the temperature is on the milder side, spring and fall.

When I design irrigation systems I take into account things like this and group the sprinklers/nozzles accordingly. That way deep shade areas get enough water to sustain the turf and/or plant materials but don't get so much water that bogs start to appear.

How is this area watered? Hand sprinklers, irrigation - manual or automatic?

PurpHaze
10-08-2005, 10:41 AM
i Heard of a product that helped absorb water but not sure how well it worked. I think the only true fix would to be either regrade properly or add drainage or both. And no you cant just bury some pipe and throw rock in. Theres alot you need to know about soils and differnt layers. I would hire this out to an expert or just tell the people there SOL. But if you just want to sell them something add some organic matter.

Although most grades run away from buildings he could also be encountering a swale that is trapping the water in a localized area. Be nice to see some pictures. :D

ATL Lawn
10-17-2005, 02:21 AM
use a push mower on the 15'

Chris Wagner
10-17-2005, 02:55 AM
The wall faces north in both locations... I think that could also have an impact on soil drying out properly as the building provides even more shade than usual.

The area is irrigated... regular Hunter PGP rotary heads. Although they run from the wall to the middle of the area rather than just along the wall.

I'll post some pics tomorrow. Closeups? Distance? Ahhh, what the heck... I'll take a few.

PurpHaze
10-17-2005, 09:01 AM
Chris... congrats to your Sox.