PDA

View Full Version : how to bid fall clean up with grass cutting customer

LawnGrassHoppers
10-07-2005, 12:23 PM
IV been cutting grass for customers who now want fall clean ups. as of now I'm still cutting and bagging as i go. whats the best way to bill for the fall clean up,for these customers who get there lawns done on a weekly base's? :confused:

jpp
10-07-2005, 01:43 PM
You will get different answers to this quesiton. I charge by the hour from the time we get out of the truck till the time we get back into the truck. For customers that have curb side pick up they go there. If they don't they get bagged or hauled away for extra money.

JP

LawnGrassHoppers
10-07-2005, 10:06 PM
You will get different answers to this quesiton. I charge by the hour from the time we get out of the truck till the time we get back into the truck. For customers that have curb side pick up they go there. If they don't they get bagged or hauled away for extra money.

JP
IV been doubling there bill for weekly cuts and triple for bi weekly for eight weeks Oct1 to Dec1 . although the grass dont grow that quick i still get paid for the cut. then the last week of the 8 weeks i blow out all the beds for what ever but not allot and run over the leaves with mower. and call it a year and get ready for plow season.

wacamaster
10-07-2005, 10:35 PM
It is a tough situation as you never really know how big the job will be. I used to have an hourly rate of $30/man hour, but had to ditch that because I wasn't making any money. Having the UltraVac with quick dump makes the job easy and fast.. and we can do a good size job in 1-1.5 hours which is worth way more then $60-$90. I however didn't want to jack up my hourly rate and be like $90 a man hour! I Just do flat rates now. I mainly have the same jobs every year so it's easy. You just have to guesstimate how long it's gonna take and decide how much you want to make. I go for $100-150 an hour but I have top notch equipment that allows me to get that. If your with a rake and tarp you have to adjust accordingly.

P.S. CHarge a shitload.. fall clean-ups suck.. especially when you got to haul away, or when it's windy.

LawnGrassHoppers
10-08-2005, 10:25 AM
It is a tough situation as you never really know how big the job will be. I used to have an hourly rate of $30/man hour, but had to ditch that because I wasn't making any money. Having the UltraVac with quick dump makes the job easy and fast.. and we can do a good size job in 1-1.5 hours which is worth way more then $60-$90. I however didn't want to jack up my hourly rate and be like $90 a man hour! I Just do flat rates now. I mainly have the same jobs every year so it's easy. You just have to guesstimate how long it's gonna take and decide how much you want to make. I go for $100-150 an hour but I have top notch equipment that allows me to get that. If your with a rake and tarp you have to adjust accordingly.

P.S. CHarge a shitload.. fall clean-ups suck.. especially when you got to haul away, or when it's windy.
i have all the right equipment thats not the problem it just sees to me that there are so many ways to do this and i want to found out what way is the most efficiant.i have a rider with the ultra vac, push blowers,hand blowers,rakes. tarps and the best thing is all my accounts have leaf service at the curb.thank for the info :D

roscioli
10-08-2005, 11:17 AM
I didnt read all the posts, so maybe this is mentioned already, but what I used to do (i sold my biz a few years ago) was send out a chart to everyone before the leaves started falling explaining the following (in better wording):
Regular Mowing price $40
Mowing with some leaves $60
Mowing with many leaves $80

These prices would include reasonable amounts of blowing leaves into the woods or out of beds, but I would charge extra if I needed to rake (barely ever) or spend ridiculous amounts of time on their property.

lawnboy dan
10-15-2005, 10:13 PM
hasnt any body here heard of gator blades? just mulch up the leaves and charge for a regular cut. if they insist that you bag up the leaves -quit.

DistLawns
10-16-2005, 05:32 PM
Lawnboy Dan has a great point with the gatorblades, but don't quit when they want it bagged! What we do is,we mulch with the gatorblades thru the first 3 weeks in October, and charge a weekly mowing price. Then, Starting in the last week in October, and thruought Nov. I charge 100-175 to come and blow out all shrubs and obsticles, bag the mulched leaves, and hall them away.I tell the customers that I will come up to two seperate times to bag, and that is included in that 100-175 cleanup price. Usualy if you go to a site for the second time in Nov. you don't have to blow much, you just bag whats on grassy area and leave. This way you get paid thru most of Oct for regular mows, and you still make a ton wants Nov. comes around.

QualityLawnCare4u
10-16-2005, 06:03 PM

I go for $100-150 an hour :D :D :D Man, I got to get the h-ll outa south Georgia! I am dang lucky to get 40 per hour using my exmark with the dump from the seat bagger (yes, it is much faster). I get mad when I come on here and start reading all these post about "fall cleanup" charges and know thet want flush here. Try charging these old hags 150 per hour and you would have to call 911 when they get thru gasping and wheezing!