PDA

View Full Version : Employee Problem

Aaron's Lawn Care
10-07-2005, 01:06 PM
Currently I run a 2 man crew, me and an employee. I have a guy now who I hired after my former employee went back to school about a month ago. Well the situation is...we usually work 4 days a week and work pretty much all day. Without him I can't get all of the work done by myself. Now he hasn't shown up or even called in the last 3 days. I have called him and left messages and don't know what else to do. I'm getting pretty backed up on work because this guy hasn't shown up. I doubt that I won't ever hear from him again considering he still has a paycheck here waiting to be picked up. I'm pretty much considering him to be fired at this point. How would you handle this situation?

chimmygew
10-07-2005, 01:16 PM
Mail his paycheck with a note saying you consider him not showing up the same as quitting and hire someone else.

jtrice11
10-07-2005, 01:17 PM
Currently I run a 2 man crew, me and an employee. I have a guy now who I hired after my former employee went back to school about a month ago. Well the situation is...we usually work 4 days a week and work pretty much all day. Without him I can't get all of the work done by myself. Now he hasn't shown up or even called in the last 3 days. I have called him and left messages and don't know what else to do. I'm getting pretty backed up on work because this guy hasn't shown up. I doubt that I won't ever hear from him again considering he still has a paycheck here waiting to be picked up. I'm pretty much considering him to be fired at this point. How would you handle this situation?

I would start looking for a new employee asap. You can't operate your business with someone that is not reliable.

Albemarle Lawn
10-07-2005, 02:12 PM
Get out there and do all the work you can, meanwhile try to hire!

If you think someone is a joker, hire them "part time" and do not let them work more than 3 days a week. No matter how much they beg or how backed up you are, 3 days a week.

Keep joker broke so he shows up, and he has 4 days a week to get his personal BS out of his system.

Will this scheme work? Probably not.

Realistically, we are screwed. If anyone wants to know just how screwed this country is, go to www.boortz.com or better yet tune in to Neal Boortz on the radio.

newz7151
10-07-2005, 02:47 PM
Call the local law enforcement agencies and see if they have anybody by his name incarcerated.

olderthandirt
10-07-2005, 02:48 PM
Hire someone else and if he comes to pick up his check have him sign a paper ackowledging the fact he did not show up for 3 days and did indeed quit. You always need to CYA

Maitland Man
10-07-2005, 03:54 PM
Call the local law enforcement agencies and see if they have anybody by his name incarcerated.

Too funny that you mention this. :dizzy:

Albemarle Lawn
10-07-2005, 04:38 PM
Just think, all of the scrawny cinderalla white boys today are breeding out with trailer trash.

Now think ahead 20 years...

All the little bastard illegitimate children they are breeding today are going to go into the workforce. The future is not good.

Nosmo
10-07-2005, 05:34 PM
First of all I would write his check for the amount owed him. I'd hold it for either him or a relative to pick up for a couple weeks. If no one shows up I'd mail it to his last known address.

I'd consider him quitting and leaving me in a bind. I would get another helper and forget him. I wouldn't check anywhere for him -- jail or elsewhere.

He or his relatives aren't considerate enought to let you know something if he is sick, in jail, in the hospital or just quit and no telling what else.

You don't owe somebody like that anything except his last check.

Nosmo

Aaron's Lawn Care
10-07-2005, 06:38 PM
Do you think it would be appropriate to call his "emergency contacts" from his application?

freddyc
10-07-2005, 06:44 PM
Make sure when you send him the letter describing the times you called and no reply that the letter includes the statement that "an employer has the right to know where their workforce is"... this statement is key as any lawyer or judge reading it will completely back you up. Make sure to send all money due to him for hrs worked and send it certified mail so he has to sign for it.

Does he have a fixed working schedule or is it flexible?? If fixed, no problem...if he's on call at all, make sure you document the hour when you tried to call him, the phone number and any reply.

In the meantime, hire someone else.

Brianslawn
10-07-2005, 07:32 PM
keep the check unless he shows up to get it on regular payday. also tell 10 people to show up for work and if youre lucky one of them actually will. either that or quit wasting time with white employees and start hiring mexicans.

hopefully jodi wont take offense to me using the term 'white'. :confused:

thartz
10-07-2005, 08:33 PM
Don't waste any more time on this guy or his "contacts" concentrate on getting a replacement.

wacamaster
10-07-2005, 09:30 PM
Why everyone saying mail him his check??? I have ALWAYS paid my workers.. up until a couple months ago. I got a new guy.... he worked for a couple weeks. Then he said he had to pick his car up from shop so he'd be late. I said ok. Well I called him like 4 times that day and he kept saying he's be there in an hour.. sumtin else kept coming up. Then I talked to him and he was sitting at home. I'm like WTF? Well I owe him for the previosu days work. A buddy of his said he wanted his money.. I said.. if he wants that money he can come to my house and get it. I live a good 40 minutes from him. I figure the way he dicked me over like that it's the least I could do. I don't expect to see him.

cubbie
10-09-2005, 01:32 PM
my advice, is if you have uniform shirts, or stuff, keep it until you get them back, if you don't mail it and say your fired, and you don't know what happen and i don't care what happen, to you, :) and hire a guy that wants to learn about the business like me :P

Kelly's Landscaping
10-09-2005, 03:49 PM
3 days no show congrats I have gotten this enough that I even have a name for it he just quit B I T C H style. And that is all he really is you want to quit be a man about it a say so this no show stuff is so childish its not funny. Also do what Mac says I have a guy collecting on me now says I fired him in truth he ran off a lawn with the mower still running and was never seen again. All I can say I never claimed to be a quote “professional”and pay back is only a matter of time.

Likestomow
10-09-2005, 03:58 PM
Next year I am going to hold employee's pay back one week. They will also sign an agreement saying if they quit and don't work out a weeks notice, their last week's pay will be figured at minimum wage.

Kate Butler
10-09-2005, 09:12 PM
Next year I am going to hold employee's pay back one week. They will also sign an agreement saying if they quit and don't work out a weeks notice, their last week's pay will be figured at minimum wage.

Is that legal (the minimum wage part)?

specialtylc
10-09-2005, 10:25 PM
I have had a few employees do the same to me. A no call after two days is fired. And their last paycheck is paid at minimum wage. I have three guys working with me, and if they dont show up on time we leave without them. After they miss the truck one time they learn to be on time.

Jason Pallas
10-09-2005, 11:31 PM
Rule of thumb - Always keep your payroll at least one week behind. Case in point. Next - move on, hire a new employee. If this guy shows up, tell 'em "thanks. don't need you anymore. no had feelings. here's your last check". Don't make it personal. It's just business. It didn't work with him. Move on and find an employee who wants to work.

JimboII
10-10-2005, 12:35 AM
This happens to me 15 to 20 time a season. Do what you can yourself. Hire someone else and forget about him, you deserved a phone call even if there was a death in the family, your employment has no value to him. If he comes back and you take him back, he will do this again as soon as something else looks better, knowing that you will probably take him back again. Do not call emergency numbers, that's not what they were intended for, and you might get into a domestic situation that you will regret. Don't give his pay to anyone but him if he shows up, unless you normally mail paychecks. That is your money till the check clears the bank. Be Glad that he does not have your keys and cell Phone.

JimLewis
10-13-2005, 03:59 AM

3 days of no-shows, no calls, nothing. And you're CONSIDERING firing him at this point? Dude. You need to grow a backbone. Also, you need to take a hint.

First of all, a guy doesn't show up to work for ONE DAY and doesn't call - that's grounds for termination right there. Unless he comes in the next day with one helluva good excuse and an explanation on why he couldn't get to a phone and call me - he's outta there. I don't care if it's my own family member. That's just not cool.

And second, the guy is getting your calls. He doesn't want to work for you. He is embarrased because he knows he handled it incorrectly. He should have called. He should have been honest with you. But for whatever reason, he didn't. So now he's embarrased and he is purposely avoiding your calls. Trust me on this. I've had over 100 employees over the years. I've seen it all. I had one two weeks ago who pulled the same crap. Didn't show up. Didn't call. Wouldn't return my call, etc. I didn't even lose an ounce of sweat over it. I hired someone else within 2 days and we were back on track. And sure enough, yesterday he called with a hella lame excuse and "... oh...by the way...do you have a check for me?"

Yah, that's what will happen. Just move on man. And learn from this. Don't let employees run you. YOU have to manage them. I'm not saying you have to be an Arse-Hole. Too many bosses go overboard the other direction. But you are equally as bad by letting this guy run you around while you beg him to come back. The 2nd day he was gone, you should have had an ad out in the paper or employment dept. for help wanted - without even blinking.

It's a business man. It's not personal. It's just business. And if you want to succeed in it, you have to run it like one.

JimLewis
10-13-2005, 04:01 AM
Is that legal (the minimum wage part)?

Yes it is. That's what we do too. I have always paid a week behind. This is common for most corporations in America. It helps tp prevent people from taking the money and running.

stuie
10-13-2005, 07:29 AM
The guy is dead.
Keep the money
Put it on the fifth horse in race five and keep the proceeds.
All totally legal im sure!

stuie
10-13-2005, 07:36 AM
sorry duel post ignore

Aaron's Lawn Care
10-14-2005, 12:28 PM
3 days of no-shows, no calls, nothing. And you're CONSIDERING firing him at this point? Dude. You need to grow a backbone. Also, you need to take a hint.

First of all, a guy doesn't show up to work for ONE DAY and doesn't call - that's grounds for termination right there. Unless he comes in the next day with one helluva good excuse and an explanation on why he couldn't get to a phone and call me - he's outta there. I don't care if it's my own family member. That's just not cool.

And second, the guy is getting your calls. He doesn't want to work for you. He is embarrased because he knows he handled it incorrectly. He should have called. He should have been honest with you. But for whatever reason, he didn't. So now he's embarrased and he is purposely avoiding your calls. Trust me on this. I've had over 100 employees over the years. I've seen it all. I had one two weeks ago who pulled the same crap. Didn't show up. Didn't call. Wouldn't return my call, etc. I didn't even lose an ounce of sweat over it. I hired someone else within 2 days and we were back on track. And sure enough, yesterday he called with a hella lame excuse and "... oh...by the way...do you have a check for me?"

Yah, that's what will happen. Just move on man. And learn from this. Don't let employees run you. YOU have to manage them. I'm not saying you have to be an Arse-Hole. Too many bosses go overboard the other direction. But you are equally as bad by letting this guy run you around while you beg him to come back. The 2nd day he was gone, you should have had an ad out in the paper or employment dept. for help wanted - without even blinking.

It's a business man. It's not personal. It's just business. And if you want to succeed in it, you have to run it like one.

I was not considering firing him....i was considering him fired. There's a difference. I was basically saying he was fired. And where did you get the "begging" thing from? I called the guy a few times for 2 days simply because he is my only employee currently and I wanted to know what the hell was going on. Anyways...he got in touch with me and everything is sorted out now...and of course...he doesn't work for me any longer :rolleyes:

JimLewis
10-14-2005, 01:46 PM
Ok. My mistake. I guess I misread it.

Still, even reading back to what you wrote now, you don't seem very resolute. "I'm pretty much considering him fired at this point...." ????

It seems like you're not sure. How is someone "pretty much" and "considered" fired. Either they are history or they are not. Anyway, you just seemed like you weren't quite sure what to do and I was just giving my advice.

Anyway, the advice is still pretty much the same. I don't even hesitate any more in these situations. I just immediately begin looking for their replacement. And when they finally want to come back and talk to me (and bring back their uniforms) they will get their final check. But by that time, I've already moved on to the next guy. This won't be the first time something like this happens to you, unfortunately.

rbriggs
10-14-2005, 02:21 PM
Until you find a permanent person, try a temporary employment agency. You will atleast get a grasp on your back log of work until you find someone else.

googles
10-14-2005, 03:44 PM
I was not considering firing him....i was considering him fired. There's a difference. I was basically saying he was fired. And where did you get the "begging" thing from? I called the guy a few times for 2 days simply because he is my only employee currently and I wanted to know what the hell was going on. Anyways...he got in touch with me and everything is sorted out now...and of course...he doesn't work for me any longer :rolleyes:

Well what was is reason when you finally talk to him???

Aaron's Lawn Care
10-14-2005, 07:44 PM
It was a whole long list of bulls**t. His girlfriend's grandmother has alsimers (sp?) and fell down the stairs and they didn't know how much longer she would make it so they went to visit her in ohio. Also, he forgot his cell phone at home during the trip and didn't have my phone number to call me. :laugh: whatever....

befnme
10-14-2005, 08:20 PM
3 days no show no call "F I R E D "

googles
10-14-2005, 10:57 PM
its funny because my guys always use the family crisis stories too. i guess they feel you cant go hard on them if they tell you some sad story. still he could have done a lot of things get a hold of you and let you know. that just irresponsible and he should be FIRED :blob2: :blob2: .

j&c
10-15-2005, 03:31 AM
Mail his paycheck with a note saying you consider him not showing up the same as quitting and hire someone else.

what he said no if ands or but's unless he was in hosp. unconscious and suffering from amnesias (hope thats spelled right)

speaking of hiring had a guy tryout with me yesterday on 2 jobs he was awesome on the trim work and clean up didn't have to tell him anything to do but where everything is on the truck....

rbriggs
10-16-2005, 02:54 PM
That's a dream employee. About 6 months ago, we hired a female to work on our trucks. She is OUR dream employee. Our plan is to prep her for an ass't Ops position. I wish I could find 10 more of her.