PDA

View Full Version : Buying a Lesco??

JCee
10-07-2005, 01:32 PM
I was wondering if anyone has seen or had used any lesco products...I am in the process of deciding on a ztr or wb and lesco just keeps popping into my head obviously because of price. I own a lesco 36inch WB now, and besides a small problem with cutting height, I really like the machine. (Just started in the biz, so I'm not sure about how it will hold up though). I'm thinking maybe the hydro float deck 54" WB (3899) or the ztr (54"-5999, or 60" 6299). God for a 60inch at that price if it was close to the quality and cut of another mower Id do it. Anyone seen any of these in action or have any opinons?? And BTW I've heard the sayings of you get what you pay for....is this one of those cases?

walker-talker
10-07-2005, 01:53 PM
I can't comment on Lesco mowers, but one thing I would keep in mind is their ability to service what they sell. The Lesco here has no service department. There is usually only one guy there and he runs the computer and forklift to load fertilizers. I have bought some stuff from them (leaf loader, spray rig and spreader). On the other hand, if I ever did buy a mower from them and it broke down "outside" of the warranty, I would take it to "my" dealer anyway. So personally speaking, I would not buy from them and buy from a reputable dealer of another make.

LB1234
10-07-2005, 02:26 PM
Not sure on the equipment themselves. I was looking into purchasing a piece of equipment from them a few weeks back. Stopped at a dealer in central jersey.

The place looked like a bomb hit it. Equipment parts all over the place. Looks as if a bunch of slobs ran the place. I'm not stepping foot into that one again.

Envy Lawn Service
10-07-2005, 02:33 PM
Just go demo their black deck units... ZTR & Floating deck hydro walk...

You'll come home with them.
I did.

What I found is that the quality of cut was actually better in my area.
In my case I bought the 60" Z-Two, basically because there was ZERO reason not to.

So far, I basically like this machine better than any other piece of mowing equipment I have ever owned or tried... and there is not much I do not have experience with. The only thing I would suggest to you is to also consider the new WideTrack 60" with the 28hp Generac. I think that one might be a little easier on the turf when turning.

TURF DOCTOR
10-07-2005, 02:37 PM
Lesco can't be beat on price,if you have back up i say go for it,but down time will kill you in this biz.

JCee
10-07-2005, 03:22 PM
thanks, How bout the rider vs. the wb...I know this question comes up all the time on this site but I have 8 accounts now and growing...all my accounts are .75 to 1 acre...I dont see getting much bigger yards then that...for price and everything else what you do think??

Envy Lawn Service
10-07-2005, 03:41 PM
I don't know about that. You'll crap your pants going from a 36" walk to a 60" Z-Two!
What a production increase!

Stepping down to the 48" and 54" models, I think the rider v/s wb and sulky depends on operator preferences, the properties to be serviced, and what kind of production is expected.

For instance, I would love to have one of their floating deck hydro walkbehinds. But I would want it to "go with" my ZTR. Many of my accounts I must cut at a slower ground speed anyways, so the speed difference is sort of moot.... but I could not physically stand up to doing some of the work I do with the rider without being exhausted.

Point being, what is the right thing to do is individual....

LawnBoy89
10-08-2005, 12:14 AM
I went to a lesco place once with this guy I know to get his bench grinder serviced. Once I walked in I saw the Lesco mowers and was very interested. I'll probably end up buying one they look like really good mowers and for the price it seems great.

Envy, have you had to do any work to yours and how long have you had it? Does it cut like an eXmark?

Envy Lawn Service
10-08-2005, 12:40 AM
Cosmo,

I've had mine a little over 3 months now. The only work I have done on it is normal maintenace stuff... adjustments, servicing, ect. Oh, and I removed the brass colored reverse stops for the sticks.

The only thing I found to be difficult was the tracking adjustment I had to make.
That was no fun.

Deck adjustments and service are very easy and clean. Oh, and I had to take one notch off the castle nut pre-load on the front castor forks. The bearings are Timken tapered roller bearings. So they require some preload for long life. These just had a minor amount too much and the castors did not turn freely. Popped off the dust caps, pulled the pin, moved the castle nut far enough to allow the pin to be inserted in the next castle notch... good to go.

As for the cut... no it does not cut like an eXmark... thank god!

It cuts, discharges, creates fine clippings, stipes, mulches and self cleans great.
This deck also does not discriminate... it cuts everything... and cuts it well.
No more excessive overlapping on passes or double and triple cutting for one reason or another.

I'm a happy camper with this deck.
Maybe the Triton will be a better deck for eXmark.

surfisher211
10-08-2005, 01:12 AM
i have a 48 " lesco hydro w/b a 36 " lesco w/b a 32 " lesco w/b and as of 2 weeks ago a 54" lesco z turn best machines for the money u cant beat them. they cut butifull . :waving:

LawnBoy89
10-08-2005, 01:51 AM
You guys have any pictures?

wriken
10-08-2005, 10:19 PM
Check these stripes out.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=69972

geogunn
10-09-2005, 12:01 AM
these are some great reports.

GEO :)

LawnBoy89
10-09-2005, 01:34 AM
Those aren't with the lesco though. They are some nice stripes.

wriken
10-09-2005, 09:33 AM
Those aren't with the lesco though. They are some nice stripes.

I thought you said you were interested in a ztr54/60, if so these are what your stipes will look like. The cub tank 54 or 60" are the same machines, different paint. :)

Maitland Man
10-09-2005, 12:18 PM
my 48 lesco hydro has over 3050 hours on it....cuts and runs awesome!!!

JCee
10-09-2005, 02:14 PM
Yes that is what I am interested in and thanks for the reply. How bout size? Any opinions on the 54 vs the 60? Like I said my lawns are probably going to be 1 acre max. Alot are smaller. Which one would be better for me? or a 48?

riches139
10-09-2005, 05:08 PM
Go with the 60. Best all around machine. I use mine on smaller properties too, as long as they're fairly flat.

Like Wriken said, Lesco and Cub Cadet Commercial are the same machine.
Cub has much better dealer support.

wriken
10-09-2005, 06:38 PM
I have 1100 on my 2001, m-60 w/kaw, have'nt used it much in the last 2 years. 1014 on my 2003 m-72 w/generac 28 hp, and 829 on my 2004 m-60 w/kohler 27. Very, very little problems with all the Tanks. All of them have never been in my dealers shop overnite, maybe an hour at the most, for like clutch adjustment, throttle cable install, raise the rpm's etc. :)

bmxican
10-09-2005, 08:27 PM
are the Lesco pistol grips any lower than those on a scag? I haven't seen the two next to each other but having seen them seperately, the Lesco's grips seem a bit low. The scag's grips seem a little higher which is good if you're tall or up on a velky.

In the 32 and 36" belt models I think the scags are about $600 more than Lesco. Are they worth the extra? or is the Lesco just as good. Isn't the scag more heavy duty? hmmm green verses :cool2: orange

Envy Lawn Service
10-09-2005, 11:14 PM
are the Lesco pistol grips any lower than those on a scag? I haven't seen the two next to each other but having seen them seperately, the Lesco's grips seem a bit low. The scag's grips seem a little higher which is good if you're tall or up on a velky.

In the 32 and 36" belt models I think the scags are about $600 more than Lesco. Are they worth the extra? or is the Lesco just as good. Isn't the scag more heavy duty? hmmm green verses :cool2: orange

I honestly know nothing of that comparison, but I will offer you the same advice I do all others... demo both and try not to worry about the money so much.

It's an investment. An investment in your business, and an investment in your personal happiness if you are the operator. So think of it that way and consider how you can best put your money to work for you... Lesco or Scag?

JCee
10-10-2005, 12:00 AM
Haha, I like the green alot alot better. I like the look of scag, but the color is awful. I have the Lesco 36" belt drive and like it alot. Like I said only problem I have is with my height adjustment. I couldnt get it to go as low as the mfc said it would. To get the desired cut sometimes I have to run the machine at abosolute lows, and also a couple of washers that I bought at a hardware store instead of the front spacers. But overall I love the machine.
I'm thinking the 60 too. What is the price diff on Lesco 60" ztr vs. Cubcadet. Cant be that much diff if they are the same machine??

Envy Lawn Service
10-10-2005, 01:21 AM
I'm thinking the 60 too. What is the price diff on Lesco 60" ztr vs. Cubcadet. Cant be that much diff if they are the same machine??

Well, here's the deal on that... It was gonna cost me an extra $2,100 or so for the Cub from my local dealer... and I would have paid them that for it too... had they not been jerks to me.

No my understanding of this is that the price difference is due to distribution differences... In other words, CPE builds both colors... but the difference is that Lesco recieves them direct and sells them direct for a small profit... cutting out the middle man distributor's cut and inflated dealer profits.

However, from what I understand, it's not this way for the Cubs all over the country... because I believe some have reported being able to buy a Cub for equal pricing... which indicates to me that their distribution is somehow different in those areas, or just the rest of the Cub dealers are really inflating the price and their profits by staying glued to the MSRP's.

Now depending on who has better service in your area, it might be better to go one way or the other. Personally, unless I could get ahold of the 28/60 Wide Track Lesco, I would rather have the Cub because I think all of their 60's are Wide Track's now. Otherwise, all I can say is Lesco has the better seat. It is light grey while the Cub's is black.