PDA

View Full Version : Do you buy new or used trucks?

mrusk
10-07-2005, 02:29 PM
On this rainy day i am doing some fine tuning to my business plan. As i try to build the most efficent company i can i am wondering if it is better to buy new or used trucks? I think i'll always buy myself a new pickup, but i plan on keeping it for atleast 5 years/150k than either selling it or giving it to a crew. But for crews it almost seems like it would be better to buy used. I am moving towards 100% hardscapes. Most of my jobs are with in 10-20 miles of my house. Many are with in 5. I can not see a crew putting more than 7-9k on a truck in a year. The crews truck is just going to sit during the day, they will not be leaving the jobs.

So I could buy a truck with 100k on it, and in 10 years it might not even have 200k.

What are your guys thoughts on this matter. I am planning on equiping my hardscape crews with a truck somewhere between 19k and 26k gvw.

Matt

UNISCAPER
10-07-2005, 08:59 PM
After having new, then abad life turn and running junk, then back to new, hands down, buy new. Looking back at when we ran junk, there was not a week that went by when I or someone else did not have their head under a truck hood.

You could get an off lease unit, but the one thing there is with the screw it, it's just a lease mentaility, unless it was a fleet vehicle with a good maintenance plan.

mrusk
10-07-2005, 09:40 PM
Almost seems like 'buy new' means buy once. If i buy new it seems like the truck could last the company atleast 20 year!

Matt

Lawn Masters
10-07-2005, 10:05 PM
I dont see the point in buying new, its only going to get dented, and scratched anyhow, why buy something new if thats only going to happen eventually anyhow? I'd rather drive an older truck anyhow, to me, they look a little better than new ones. in fact, I'd prefer a 94 F250 to a new one, plus they're less expensive to buy, and the parts are so readily available its scary.

mrusk
10-07-2005, 10:28 PM
BTW i am talking about trucks with GVWs 19k and up with real engines like cat and cummins.

Matt

Mowingman
10-08-2005, 12:30 AM
I have been buying used Ford F250 and F350 Powerstroke diesel pickups for our crews. I get them with about 220,000 miles on them, and run them for about 2 seasons, then sell them and start over. They come from a big company's fleet, and I get access to all the maint. records before I buy. These trucks have saved me a ton of money upfront, and have been real dependable.
I just can not see buying new $25,000 or $30,000 trucks for a crew to tear up.

meets1
10-09-2005, 09:35 PM
I myself - person/work truck is new every three years. I am on my 4th truck. As far as the crews go - all used, but in good/great shape.

I have 4 chevy's and 1 ford. These are all 80 - 120K trucks & 91 - 97. Althought this past weekend I did purchase a 2002, GMC 2500HD with 60K on it for $15K. I am getting tired of always having our ford in the shop ( no offense to anyone - always ran great) but were always down a truck for a day.

So -to me brnad new is great but used is just as good. I do alot of looking a dealing.