PDA

View Full Version : Ferris DD 52"

stevesmowing
10-07-2005, 04:10 PM
I am looking at buying a used Ferris w/b. Its a 52" DD. It is about 6 years old with about 600 hours on it. The engine is a brand new 18hp briggs vanguard with 10 hours on it. The caster spindle bushings are worn a little and there is just a tiny bit on play in the deck spindle bearings but not much. What is something like this worth? He was asking $2,500 but said he would take $2,000. I think he might go lower though. Also is there a way to adjust the tension so it takes less force to squeeze the control levers?

jimmbo407
10-07-2005, 05:07 PM
I bought my Ferris used and its 4 years old. Unknown on exactly how many hours on it. The guy that i bought it from used it on about 14 accounts. I paid $1500.00 for it, and it has a 19HP KAW. Hope this helps. I will say it seems like used equipment goes pretty cheap around here, most of the guys I know that mow won't buy used equipment.

rodfather
10-07-2005, 05:09 PM
2 grand max. The thing you will have to worry about are the trannys (over a grand each) to replace if needed. BTW, we have had like 20 or so Ferris machines over the last 12 years, great units and extremely reliable as well.

stevesmowing
10-07-2005, 05:17 PM
I saw j-thomas had the trannys for $650 each. How long do they normaly last for?

rodfather
10-07-2005, 05:21 PM
In all the Ferris's we have owned, only 1 ever went bad (in a dual drive too). I think it was like after 2 years, so it was fully covered under warantee for parts and labor. $650 sounds low. Is it an Eaton or a Peerless. I don't believe they are interchangeable either. I would think you should get a minimum of 1500 hours on one.

stevesmowing
10-07-2005, 11:29 PM
is there a way to adjust the tension so the pistol grips arn't as hard to squeeze? The right one was ok but the left was unbearable.

stevesmowing
10-08-2005, 09:48 AM
anyone? If there is a way to adjust them I think I will buy it.

KathysLGC
10-08-2005, 10:43 AM
The tranny from J-thomas is OEM. I had to replace one before. It was a pain in the rear because I didn't put the mower on ramps. I had to jack it up and work with it at an angle. All in all the trannys are solid and if you keep the oil changed it should be bullet proof.

I would offer $1800. $2000 isn't that bad but that's the highest I would go.

The lever tension isn't really adjustable but it does have grease zerks. Some are in hard to reach areas. How are the foam on the handles? There should be foam grips on the handle and on the levers so your palm will be on the handle and you fingers will be on the levers with each having foam grips. When I bought my Ferris the foam grips where pretty bad so I replaced them with OEM grips and it felt alot better. I also removed the safety lever which helped.
I seem to remember a very small ammount of play on the spindles. They are greasable. behind the gas tank you will see the hydro oil canister and hoses. Don't be alarmed if you see some dirty oil residue. It seemed no matter how often I cleaned that area it would always get dirty. It is not a leak (shouldn't be at least).

I think you have a good deal there.

KathysLGC
10-08-2005, 10:49 AM
is there a way to adjust the tension so the pistol grips arn't as hard to squeeze? The right one was ok but the left was unbearable.

Look to see if one of the rods are bent. Each handle controls one hydro so if one is easier then the other it might be something with the connecting rod. Check the oil level and also feel the oil to see if it's gritty. Don't be concerned if the oil looks black. How do the oil filters look? You should be able to see them either from the back on the bottom or though the grill behind the deck where the two hydro cooling fans are.

Are the handle even? Put the speed selector half way and see it the handles are even. See if the right one is opened more then the left. The wider they are harder it feels.

rodfather
10-08-2005, 11:36 AM

Each handle has it's own grease jerk right on the handle. Also, there are grease jerks on the very bottom, back part of the machine. There are 3. You cannot see them unless you get down on your back and look up. An easier way is to use a floor jack and jack up the back of the machine a foot or so. There is one for each handle and one for the parking brake. Hit all 5 grease points weekly and you'll be ok.

The ones on the bottom may be frozen. You might have to apply heat and use a high pressure grease gun until they free up (if indeed one is frozen). Have someone help you by squeezing the handles while you apply grease and/or heat. This happened to me a long time ago cause I never knew they were down there. Good luck...

stevesmowing
10-08-2005, 09:06 PM
thanks guys. I bought it today for $1,700 and I got the levers a to move a lot easier. Here are some pics. Its the one in the middle. The one in the front is a 48" encore belt drive. Then the 52" ferris and then the 60" super z.

KathysLGC
10-08-2005, 09:24 PM
Ahhh the memories..... You'll grow to love that mower...
It looks as if there are no foam grips on the levers. Hard to tell from the pics. It looks to be in good condition and for $1700 you can't beat it.