PDA

View Full Version : 6 month waiting list

bobbygedd
10-07-2005, 06:43 PM
a friend called, and asked about lawn service. i told him no. my reasoning was i just don't like doin it with friends. some time went by, he called and called again, pleading will i just please cut his grass. i agreed, cus i felt bad for him. i came to find out-he called several other companies after i turned him down. the results were as follows: out of the 10 or so " middle level" companies, only 3 returned his phonecall, and only one showed up for an estimate. this one, turned him down, because he requested that in the summer months(july/aug) it get cut only once or twice a month, it never grows at all. the guy turned him down. now, out of the 10 or so "high level" companies, the following occured: they either had a secretary answer the phone, and if not, they all returned his call promptly. they ALL HAD a waiting list, anywhere from 3-6 months. two of them, asked him to fill out an aplication, and if he qualified, they'd put him on the waiting list. amazing. i can't imagine being so booked, that i need to put a 15 minute grasscut, on a waiting list.

Brianslawn
10-07-2005, 07:07 PM
we do it............. :waving:

roscioli
10-07-2005, 07:07 PM
maybe your crude business methods are limiting your business

bobbygedd
10-07-2005, 07:10 PM
well, what exactly are they "waiting" for? someone to die? someone to cancel them?

olderthandirt
10-07-2005, 07:25 PM
It about Image. If you project a large successful company image customers will believe thats what you are. So when they call back in a week and say we have a cancellation and can fit you in but the cost is way more than the customer was expecting they take it. Why because the large booked up company had time to take the poor lowly customer on. Great marketing tool

Precision
10-07-2005, 07:37 PM
It about Image. If you project a large successful company image customers will believe thats what you are. So when they call back in a week and say we have a cancellation and can fit you in but the cost is way more than the customer was expecting they take it. Why because the large booked up company had time to take the poor lowly customer on. Great marketing tool

yup, works especially well on the rich and snotty. Also is great for weeding out the cheap and annoying.

bobbygedd
10-07-2005, 07:42 PM
ya, ok :laugh: :laugh:

kc2006
10-07-2005, 08:12 PM
I'd have to agree with Mac. Theres alot of people that will do whatever it takes to get in with you because "you must be good if you have a waiting list!" I always tell people I'm absolutely booked for the week and won't be able to get them in until the next week. Never had a complaint about it and never had a customer cancel because they had to wait.

Keith
10-07-2005, 09:11 PM
well, what exactly are they "waiting" for? someone to die? someone to cancel them?

That was my question when I read it. Don't they think within six months they would have hired someone already. Sounds like mainly an excuse not to do the job without saying they won't do it.

wacamaster
10-07-2005, 09:21 PM
Nobody has waiting lists... your buddy told you that to get you to do his yard because the good companies did give him a price but it was too high.

bobbygedd
10-07-2005, 09:26 PM
oh, no, i agree with the others, i have a 5 month waiting list. yes, i have 9,000 lawns, and am doing them at top dollar, and everything is "ala carte" meaning (nothing goes for free). and, by george, i have work comming out of my rectum. yes, in addition, i send them all gifts, i bury thier dead pets free of charge, and i understand, they are my boss

Brianslawn
10-07-2005, 09:39 PM
and you charge them all a million $$$ a year too, bobby. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

bobbygedd
10-07-2005, 09:42 PM
well, no, the smaller ones go for...a half a mil. but, i'm booked solid. yea, it's all about having $40,000 brand new shiny trucks, uniformed workers, and short haircuts. yup, they call me doctor, instead of lawnboy

Brianslawn
10-07-2005, 09:46 PM
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

thanks for the laugh, bud.

you cut the grass with a scalpel, too? :confused:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Nosmo
10-07-2005, 10:20 PM
Let's see -- it's October and your friend is needing a cut really bad now. He's been told by other LCO's we have a 3 to 6 month waiting period.

If he signs on with one of them right now and they are able to service him within the minimum which is 3 months it will be early January.

Just in time for them to charge him for snowblowing his entire yard so they can get down to the grass which has died out by then. :D :p

Nosmo

Shuter
10-07-2005, 10:32 PM
I do not keep a waiting list. I simply tell the prospect "thanks for the call, but I will not be able to service your property".

Howard Roark
10-07-2005, 10:46 PM
If you're dealing with customers who believe that "having to wait" to get on a lawn care's waiting list is fashionable, I'd be out of the business in a flash.
Can't stand that pretentious B.S., not to mention you're LYING to people. It's not the morality of the lying to them, as much as you're lying to be successful, which is crap IMO. Just go do what you do, and if people don't like it they can drop off.

Wouldn't they be more impressed if you told them you could be out tomorrow to service their property?

Perhaps those guys really are that busy.