PDA

View Full Version : How do you go about placing a bid?

jag2635
10-07-2005, 11:58 PM
I need some help with all steps needed in placing bids for commercial properties. How do you go about doing this?

olderthandirt
10-08-2005, 12:06 AM
I need some help with all steps needed in placing bids for commercial properties. How do you go about doing this?

Your a minor and can not legally enter into a binding contract

jag2635
10-08-2005, 03:07 PM
i'm almost 18 and my company is going great, this information is for next year and a new season of work. I have 2 Walker 25 hp 48" deck with all of the fancy equiptment and i want to step it up to commercial. What are the steps i need to take?

SouthernYankee
10-08-2005, 03:38 PM
You need comerical liability insurrance...atleast a Million dollar policy which will run you anywhere from $600 and up.

You will not get any decent accounts with out insurance and you really need to have it.

If you are sued you would be screwed since I am sure that you dont have a lot of money sitting around to pay out for lawsuits.

try to find ohio inurance.Good deals

theother
10-08-2005, 04:07 PM
Your a minor and can not legally enter into a binding contract

Why are you such an angery old man, olderthandirt.

Jag, first thing is to ignore people like this guy. Normally commercial accounts will find you, but you can try to contact managers, and or owners and find out if they are accepting bids on the property. Make sure you know how much you charge for everything, then just find out what they want.

olderthandirt
10-08-2005, 09:35 PM
Why are you such an angery old man, olderthandirt.

Jag, first thing is to ignore people like this guy. Normally commercial accounts will find you, but you can try to contact managers, and or owners and find out if they are accepting bids on the property. Make sure you know how much you charge for everything, then just find out what they want.

Angry???? I think its the funniest thing said :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Yeah thats some great advise your passing along "OTHER" just sit back and the commercial accouts will come to you ! And after they all show up handing you a contract and they find out thats its a useless piece of paper they will go to the next lCO thats actually old enough to sign a contract and make it LEGALLY BINDING.

BTW-- JAG listen to the business attorneys advise and come back next yr and post how many co. came looking for you to do there commercial accounts for them

1MajorTom
10-08-2005, 09:42 PM
Normally commercial accounts will find you
If that is the case, you better be listed in the Yellow Pages. Not everyone decides to advertise in the book, I wonder if Jag is?

olderthandirt
10-08-2005, 10:03 PM
If that is the case, you better be listed in the Yellow Pages. Not everyone decides to advertise in the book, I wonder if Jag is?

Very good advise, but to be in the yellow pages you need a business # and to get that you have to be 18 and legally responsable to pay the phone and advertizing bills

1MajorTom
10-08-2005, 10:13 PM
Very good advise, but to be in the yellow pages you need a business # and to get that you have to be 18 and legally responsable to pay the phone and advertizing bills
Exactly my point, theother makes it sound like commercial accounts will just come to you, but what avenues out there does jag have to make this happen? I knew he wasn't listed in the y.p. yet.
But if jag is preparing for next season when he turns 18, then good for him, best of luck.
theother, you said commercials will find you, what other ways besides y.p. will the commercial accounts come calling?

grassyfras
10-08-2005, 10:13 PM
You do it the same way you get lawn customers. For two of mine I got they called me up. I went. Looked. Shot price. Price accpeted or thought about whatever. Get job show up. Do it. Get paid. They pay late. You send letters. They eventually repeat. You eventually get replaced. Proccess repeats. If business is doing good dont experiment with commercials especcially if your young. I had commercials before I was younger then 18 noone of them ever asked if I had insurance. I have more homeowners ask that. Also its not even a law to have insurance for my business except on veihicals.

Olderthandirt. The yellow pages have called me before and last time I checked they didn't care what number I gave them. Money is money. Does it even make sense to have to have a business number. I dont even have a home phone number. And advertising bills??? What are you talking about. I paid my bills when I was younger then 18.

theother
10-08-2005, 10:24 PM

If your work quality is good enough and your truck is lettered some do come to you, but i also said you have to go after and gave advice on that. All you guys do is start trouble and put people down. How about actually helping him out and encouraging him, but i guess when your old and out of date, the only way to get your kicks is to bash others. Hard work gets you accounts. If you want to argue that... well then there is something wrong with you. Sorry if I mislead by saying they just come to you.

1MajorTom
10-08-2005, 10:41 PM
Theother,
I do say there are some here that seem to get their kicks out of bashing people (not saying mac, i just mean in general) but this is a large forum, so all kinds of answers are going to pop up. I don't have a problem with jag trying to get commercial accounts, not at all.
But we have been working hard for 7 years, and I don't just believe the commercial bids "will find us", or will notice our hard work. Nope, that's not how it's worked for us. For us to get a small percentage of commercials, we either had to target that business specifically, or we acquired the account by referral. I don't think commercial accounts are looking at the sides of our trucks and copying down the phone number off the door.
This is just my opinion, from what we have experienced in our little corner of the world.... to get commercial accounts you need to aggressively go after them... AND be prepared to offer them a low price cause most times we have bid, they go after the lowest bidder. We mostly stick with resi's.

6'7 330
10-08-2005, 11:00 PM
Commercial accounts would not target diddley’s hard work around here. Most commercials require you to have 5 million in liability insurance around these parts. The purchasing agent’s at companies etc and the who’s who in the property management companies are the ticket to commercial accounts around here, and as said you have to be aggressive in the cut throat commercial arena. It is rare to get a call from any advertisement, yellow pages etc ,to bid commercial accounts around here.

Kelly's Landscaping
10-08-2005, 11:02 PM
I have had a lot of commercials accounts come to me this year about 5 from the yellow book and 10 or so from letters we sent out, now many of these were multiple account leads 1 of them was 6 apartment buildings and 1 was 9 plazas and one industrial. Of all that I landed a whole 3 accounts from them. Hardly worth the effort I have found. Stick to residential they are easier to get and keep. My account list looks like this 165 residential 5 commercial only thing I like about the commercials is I can cut them after the sun goes down so I can get in some killer income days. By the way Mac is right your not a business till your 18 and even that it will be very hard to be take seriously by anyone other then a residential account.

olderthandirt
10-08-2005, 11:06 PM
Olderthandirt. The yellow pages have called me before and last time I checked they didn't care what number I gave them. Money is money. Does it even make sense to have to have a business number. I dont even have a home phone number. And advertising bills??? What are you talking about. I paid my bills when I was younger then 18.

Now this is what I'm talking about. You ask if it makes sense to have a business # ? Do you believe that all the co. that advertize share your thought, or maybe they figured out that a business # draws business! Commercoal account managers calls and all he gets is cell phone or home phone so that tells him that your a small operation, fine if your looking for small commercial acct. and thats the image you want to portray.
Advertizing bills? Do you think they put your # in the yellow pages free? And in my area you can not get a business listed in the yellow pages unless you have a business line and #. I'm not talking about the big book or some knock off of the Yellow pages I'm talking about the book that a new residential or commercial customer gets when they get a new phone. And again notice that when a new business opens that there # will be listed in the yellow pages as fast as they can get ity in. :dizzy:

theother
10-08-2005, 11:09 PM
I have had a lot of commercials accounts come to me this year about 5 from the yellow book and 10 or so from letters we sent out, now many of these were multiple account leads 1 of them was 6 apartment buildings and 1 was 9 plazas and one industrial. Of all that I landed a whole 3 accounts from them. Hardly worth the effort I have found. Stick to residential they are easier to get and keep. My account list looks like this 165 residential 5 commercial only thing I like about the commercials is I can cut them after the sun goes down so I can get in some killer income days. By the way Mac is right your not a business till your 18 and even that it will be very hard to be take seriously by anyone other then a residential account.

All I know is I started in high school and now I'm 21 and am doing quite well, that is why I get a little edgy with all the crap young guys get. Don't get me wrong, you have to work hard, and do quality work to grow, but you don't need to be 30 to do that. Some of us had good teachers at an earlier age and we can start business' young and grow quite nice. You want to grow, it's not a hard concept, do better work than anyone around you, and people will take notice.

Kelly's Landscaping
10-08-2005, 11:24 PM
You want to grow, it's not a hard concept, do better work than anyone around you, and people will take notice.

While that never hurts and it has landed me some nice clusters most of my customers who hire me have never seen nor heard of me. They just saw my trucks or my ad or a post card and gave me a call. Face to face I close a very high % of accounts in early spring it can be around 80-90% it has nothing to do with my work it is all in how I can make them feel comfortable with me and that is what you are selling in the end you not a lawn cut. If they trust you then you will find it real easy if you come across as shady or naive and too green you will likely be passed over. I was simply giving some advice, which was sound on where better to apply his efforts. Now Mac (olderthandirt) to you may appear cynical or just mean but if you read his posts and he has about 1000 on the newbie board your find he is quite helpful and actually gives great advice to those just starting. With the 18 years I have in this trade I find he is one of the only ones I can go to when I do have a question though that is not too often. I have found his wealth of info quite helpful. Perhaps you may want to rethink you tone with him, as you do not seem to know he is one of the good guys.

6'7 330
10-08-2005, 11:28 PM
You want to grow, it's not a hard concept, do better work than anyone around you, and people will take notice.

I’m not trying to bash you, but you have a lot to learn on the long rode to becoming a businessman.

daveintoledo
10-08-2005, 11:30 PM
this is where it is different, someone who is a minor need to go after residential accounts.... you have to be an insured business, along with many other things, to be awarded commercial accounts and minors do not meet the legal qualifications to do comercial work ....period

a minor signing a contract is not a binding agreement.....

theother
10-09-2005, 12:21 AM
I’m not trying to bash you, but you have a lot to learn on the long rode to becoming a businessman.

I know that quality in my area sells and that I am doing very well, which most mean... oh wait that I AM a good businessman. Listen it all comes down to he needed advice. Everyone's is different, but I know that I run a very good business, and maybe worded the advice wrong, but when it comes to a businessman that I do real well. Hence the reason I am growing so well. It's like Kellylandscaping said, alot has to do with making the cutomer comfortable, but also most of my customers come from referal or from seeing my work, which is the way I like it, because they know what they are going to get and they pay what I ask. No negotiations nothing. Those make the best customers and those are the kind I have.

jag2635
10-09-2005, 01:20 AM
wow this really turned into a different type of discussion. the founder of the largest company in my area now started as a freshman in high school. i don't know just something to think about. thanks for your posts...a fun read.