PDA

View Full Version : Limestone Retainer and Steel Fence

Squizzy246B
10-08-2005, 06:21 AM
This house is on a corner and the side was practically un-useable due to the slope down to the road. The owner went for re-con limestone ( a bit featureless) but cheap and strong....looks wasn't his big concern but privacy was. I tried to keep this job neat. Anyway fire away...whaddaya reckon?

If it were mine I would have liked to build in some features or add colour with some sandstone. We have strong winds here on the West Coast and the colourbond fence provides a huge windage area. Consequently each pier weighs over 1000lbs...however I'm still a bit worried about it.

kris
10-08-2005, 07:01 AM
The owner went for re-con limestone ( a bit featureless) but cheap and strong....looks wasn't his big concern but privacy was. I tried to keep this job neat.

It looks like you accomplished everything the customer wanted....good job.

MarcusLndscp
10-08-2005, 09:13 AM
what is it your worried about Squizzy? The wind and the panels in between your stonework? I think it looks great. I'd be interested in seeing how you handle some of your product to install it. In fact maybe I can take a vacation for a year and come work for you!!! As long as I don't get attacked by killer kangaroos or anything. Your work looks real nice...good job
Mark

Squizzy246B
10-08-2005, 09:53 AM
Marcus, you are welcome anytime...just remember, the boss is an a**ehole and the pay is lousy :blush:

what is it your worried about Squizzy? The wind and the panels in between your stonework?

Yes the wind load on the pillars due to the surface area of the fence. A typical spring or summer day here has afternoon southerlies at 25 knots and frequently more. Whilst we drill our blocks for the pillars and instal galvanised steel rod, a lot are less well built and once the movement starts, well its all over in no time. Many just core drill the limestone blocks and install the steel posts direct on top. This is OK when you have 3 or more courses with backer blocks but when it is less...Well, you can do a lot of work with a six foot lever if you know what I mean.

Limestone is vey cheap and consequently very popular on the West Coast. Its used poured for driveways and paving, natural and re-con for retainers and all other manner of stuff, people even build houses with the stuff here. Blocks are available in many sizes although the best is the one metre blocks umm ..39" x 14" x 14" and 540lbs, around $13 a block (AUD) plus installation

These pics I posted on another forum shows some of our gear.

I lean (bad wall pun) toward the commercial retainers but occaisionally I get talked into doing residential stuff.

Cheers from the Boss..(at least when I not at home anyway)

MarcusLndscp
10-09-2005, 02:12 AM
Pretty neat stuff Squizzy. I always enjoy seeing the out of the ordinary work that others do on here. You've definitely struck my curiousity. It can get awful repetitive sometimes dealing with the same plants, materials, styles, techniques etc. Like I said it is neat to see how you all accomplish your work which is different from what I do and how I do it. Sometimes a tool or technique you have ends up being able to be adapted to what I do. Wow did that make any sense??? I don't know, it's past 2 a.m. and I'm exhausted so I guess at this point as long as I understand myself that's all that counts :D :D
Good night

cgland
10-09-2005, 11:06 AM
Hey Squizzy - Did the customer ever go for the veneer on that project?

Your work looks great!

Chris

Squizzy246B
10-09-2005, 12:06 PM
Hey Squizzy - Did the customer ever go for the veneer on that project?

Your work looks great!

Chris

Thanks Chris, If you mean veneer on the previous job (the one with the seat) he thought it might be a bit "Garrish"....but has gone with some terracotta caps on the piers and pots so it looks OK.