PDA

View Full Version : weeds along edges of my lawns

fga
10-08-2005, 09:40 AM
i get alot of weeds along edges of my lawns. not all, but quite a few. do think this is due to weed seeds naturally blown on sidewalks, then embedding themselves in the edges, due to wind, etc.. or most likely user error, that i am not over lapping the edges when i apply fertilzers? i'll have nice lawns, with crabgrass/fox tail/ dandelion edging in some areas. opinion?

ProLawns
10-08-2005, 09:51 AM
Edging breaks the pre-em barrier. Also it helps to have a spreader with a shield that drops down to keep the product off the driveway so you can apply the proper amount to the edges. I have a Lesco spreader with this feature but i'm usually in a hurry and only use it around water.

naturescape
10-08-2005, 10:44 AM
i get alot of weeds along edges of my lawns. not all, but quite a few. do think this is due to weed seeds naturally blown on sidewalks, then embedding themselves in the edges, due to wind, etc.. or most likely user error, that i am not over lapping the edges when i apply fertilzers? i'll have nice lawns, with crabgrass/fox tail/ dandelion edging in some areas. opinion?

I'm sure you're talking along sidewalks and drives. These areas just get more wear, i.e. compacted soil.

bobbygedd
10-08-2005, 11:10 AM
put your pre em down, along the cement/concrete edges, about 2-3 weeks earlier than the main lawn

naturescape
10-08-2005, 11:53 AM
put your pre em down, along the cement/concrete edges, about 2-3 weeks earlier than the main lawn

I myself don't believe I will ever use a pre em again. It doesn't work, at least not well. And I've used it according to directions, weather wise, etc.

DOES keep the grass from improving and spreading in those areas tho!

:cry:

bobbygedd
10-08-2005, 11:56 AM
wow, i can't believe this statement. take two lawns, on one apply dimension every year, for the next 3 yrs, and the other, no pre em at all, then tell me which one has more crabgrass/weeds. IN FACT, i have some lawns that get NOTHING BUT pre emergent and fertilizer, and they are weed free

TURFLORD
10-08-2005, 12:00 PM
I get that too. Give extra attention when applicating edges. One thing I noticed, that when it rains, run off along walkways especially side walks will cause washout of the application.

PurpHaze
10-08-2005, 12:07 PM
I'm sure you're talking along sidewalks and drives. These areas just get more wear, i.e. compacted soil.

They're also a gathering spot for water which is the perfect environment for some types of weeds.

JKOOPERS
10-08-2005, 01:05 PM
another that causes weeds along walks is poor trimming technique. thats why we edge all concrete.

AlpineNaturescapes
10-08-2005, 01:37 PM
I take it you are maintaining these lawns. If you have your applicator's liscense, the week before you apply pre-emergent or even the same week, put a new edger blade on, before you edge - this will make the deepest cut you will get. Then when you apply the pre-em it will go down the distance. Next time you edge, you won't kick all the pre-em back out. I usually only apply pre-em along the first three feet from the edge, since as you have noted, this is where most of the weeds come in. Yeah, they are blown in from the paved surfaces. As mentioned, using a trimmer low against the ground also allows the weeds in. If you cut a line with an edger, you can then maintain it for a couple of weeks with a trimmer by turning the trimmer up 90 degrees like an edger blade - this only works with a straight shaft though - and takes a steady hand. I haven't seen many people do it like myself. My best advice.

lawnguyland
10-08-2005, 02:02 PM
Also- there is probably warmer and drier soil along edges since concrete will absorb and retain heat, creating a different microclimate.

qps
10-08-2005, 04:28 PM
another that causes weeds along walks is poor trimming technique. thats why we edge all concrete.

This a very true statement, look at the edge of lawns and the bed edges...weedy??? trimming to low.....

naturescape
10-08-2005, 05:19 PM
wow, i can't believe this statement. take two lawns, on one apply dimension every year, for the next 3 yrs, and the other, no pre em at all, then tell me which one has more crabgrass/weeds. IN FACT, i have some lawns that get NOTHING BUT pre emergent and fertilizer, and they are weed free

Sorry, but I just have not seen that working in this area -- that is after 2 years of using Dimension on my properties. ALSO, using a pre em blankets the entire lawn in pesticide. A pesticide which is intended to last for months. I don't believe that environmentally that is a good thing. I'm using Drive to treat crabgrass from now on, spot treatment only, after its emerged.

Grassmechanic
10-08-2005, 07:00 PM
Also- there is probably warmer and drier soil along edges since concrete will absorb and retain heat, creating a different microclimate. Bingo! And this extra heat that is absorbed by the concrete stresses the grass to the point that weed invasion is greater.

naturescape
10-08-2005, 07:10 PM
Bingo! And this extra heat that is absorbed by the concrete stresses the grass to the point that weed invasion is greater.

Grubs and sod webworms, etc. are also more prevalent in those areas.