PDA

View Full Version : Lawn Renovation Question

Premo Services
10-08-2005, 10:25 AM
I have a customer that just had a deck, etc added to his home and he wants me to seed areas.
They used a dozer to fill in the areas and make levels for the lawn.
Would I use an aerator and slit seeder or something else to prepare the ground for seed?

LawnGrassHoppers
10-08-2005, 10:45 AM
Just Use Lesco Seed And Start Fert. Never Use Straw For The Cover Because It Takes Time To Rake Back The OlD Straw For The Grass To Keep Growing. Use Peet Moss For The Covering Of The Seed Its Organic And Theres No Raking Of Straw. And Peet Moss Neutralizes The Ground Were You Planted The Seed (meAning Acid's,ph Levels,and So On )you Will Also Need And Hand Spreader For The Seed.

Mscotrid
10-08-2005, 10:56 AM
I would also think about adding a bio degradable mulch blanket on the bare ground over the seed. It will aid in your germination and provide soil stability if you receive too much rain.

Az Gardener
10-08-2005, 11:10 AM
If the area was heavily compacted I would roto-till to loosen the top 4"-6" of soil aerating would be my secomd choice. but that compaction will come back and bite you if its been heavy.

PurpHaze
10-08-2005, 11:41 AM
If the area was heavily compacted I would roto-till to loosen the top 4"-6" of soil aerating would be my secomd choice. but that compaction will come back and bite you if its been heavy.

Ever notice that it's the irrigation trenches that have the quickest and thickest germination of seed? It's like rototilling a controlled slit and shows some of the advantages. :D

PurpHaze
10-08-2005, 11:47 AM
I have a customer that just had a deck, etc added to his home and he wants me to seed areas.
They used a dozer to fill in the areas and make levels for the lawn.
Would I use an aerator and slit seeder or something else to prepare the ground for seed?

Like others have already stated, seed bed preparation is the key. Prepare a nice bed (allows better seed-to-soil contact) with amendments and then top dress. The extra work and expense will be well worth it in the long run.