PDA

View Full Version : Too much RAIN!

mkwl
10-08-2005, 01:24 PM
Here in Northern, NJ we are supposed to get 4+ inches of rain in the next 36 hours. It's supposed to rain (according to weather.com) for the next week :angry: . What should I do? I hate mowing in the rain. Would you call to tell customers that you may be more than 2 days late for their mowing? Thanks in advance!

-Matt

PROCUT1
10-08-2005, 01:25 PM
No reason to call...... With how dry its been most havent seen us for weeks as it is now

mkwl
10-08-2005, 02:03 PM
No reason to call...... With how dry its been most havent seen us for weeks as it is now

Well, most of my customers have irrigation systems, so around 3/4 of my lawns have been done every week. The other 1/4 has been on an every other week scedule.

jt5019
10-08-2005, 02:06 PM
same problem up here in ct.I dont plan on calling, i will get to them asap.If there is a break in the rain(which im sure there will be) i plan on doing as many as possible.They can look out the window and see its been pouring.

Petr51488
10-08-2005, 02:33 PM
Why would you call? If its suppose to rain all week why not just skip this week and do it all next week? I dont see the big deal. Why would you go out and mow in the rain?

new2nash
10-08-2005, 02:36 PM
I generally call if I'm over two days late and it's not currently raining. It doesn't take much effort and can't hurt. The customers I get to right away I might not call but the way people are, they quickly forget how much rain there was. Once that sun is shining and they see their grass is getting high they may figure you're not going to show and may call someone else. I've picked up many jobs from other services in just the situation described above after some variation of, "I know it's been dry but I haven't seen the man I hired for weeks and my grass is getting really high. I think he quit."

proenterprises
10-08-2005, 04:47 PM
same problem up here in ct.I dont plan on calling, i will get to them asap.If there is a break in the rain(which im sure there will be) i plan on doing as many as possible.They can look out the window and see its been pouring.

JT-I know, its pouring like crazy. At least its knocking some leaves out of the trees...where in CT are you?

southtx
10-08-2005, 04:50 PM
send some of that rain down my way I have some clients that I have not been to in 3 0r 4 weeks due to the whole yard being brown. We need some rain bad in south texas

mcwlandscaping
10-08-2005, 04:51 PM
Same thing here, all my customers know the drill and i tell them from the beginning, if it rains, im not coming! But im going to have a lot of work to do after it stops next week!

lawnguyland
10-08-2005, 04:56 PM
Rain Schmain. Unless it's pouring, just mow. Rain does suck, but whatcha gonna do?

mkwl
10-08-2005, 04:58 PM
Why would you call? If its suppose to rain all week why not just skip this week and do it all next week? I dont see the big deal. Why would you go out and mow in the rain?

Well, I could do that, but then I'd be mowing 6" long lawns. Have any of you guys ever lost an account due to skipping a week of mowing?

rodfather
10-08-2005, 05:40 PM
Well, I could do that, but then I'd be mowing 6" long lawns. Have any of you guys ever lost an account due to skipping a week of mowing?

6 inches is nothing. I've done lawns that make the rough at Augusta look short. Skip a week and lost? Never in 12 years.

topsites
10-08-2005, 05:49 PM

I'm the same way, first of all I still got about a dozen aeration jobs lined up and it's now or never... So come Monday, it's aerating time until all that's done, then around Thursday I start cutting grass at the tune of 10 yards/day, I'll be done before halfway through the next week...
It's been so dry around here and it is October already, it will take DAYS before the grass grows and it probably will get a little bit tall in some places but oh well, so the war goes.
Even with a light fixdeck Wb that only weighs 300 pounds, even with a 75 pound pushmower I do NOT want to cut in wet weather, it leaves ruts everywhere. I do and WILL cut when wet IF I'm left with no choice, but as of right now the push has not come around to shove yet.

Tall grass? Why do I have a Recycler with a 15hp Kohler running on Synthetic blend with 95-octane fuel, 3 sharp blades and an attitude that will cut grass up to my NECK. I doubt seriously it will be any more than a foot tall in some places but if it is, that's why my machines are called Grand Toros... Not like I'm huffing and puffing around with some 6.5hp pushmower.

And yes I've lost lawns before because I was a few HOURS late and you know what? I don't have any of those kind of accounts anymore, I doubt seriously I will lose even one of my regular customers over a minor delay nowadays. Come to think of it maybe them picky folk moved on, natural selection has a funny way of doing things...

Kelly's Landscaping
10-08-2005, 11:08 PM
Bigger concern all this water may make the trees delay dropping for a few extra weeks hardly enough time to get 120 fall clean ups in as it is. This can get real ugly real fast if fall is delayed and snow comes early.

Petr51488
10-08-2005, 11:22 PM

I doubt itll be 6 inches if you dont cut in a week. It hasnt rained good here in 2 months. And no, i have never lost one if i skipped one week.

South Florida Lawns
10-08-2005, 11:22 PM
Been cutting in crappy weather all last week. I just slows things down thats all, no biggie. Why would you not cut?

PMLAWN
10-09-2005, 06:17 AM
Thursday AM the ground was like concrete, by Fri PM the ground was mush.
Sun was out by Sat afternoon But can not start doing any work for at least 24 hours as we can not even walk on the grass.
We will just start where we left off.
As far as the customers, all of mine are smart. They know it rained. They know that the schedule will be a little different. Having to call now only means that you have had poor communication through out your business relationship. You need to set the stage long before any thing goes bad. They need to know what you are doing and what you are going to do from the start of you relationship.

Richard Martin
10-09-2005, 06:47 AM
I wouldn't worry about that threat of rain all week too much. How many times in the last 8 weeks have they called for rain and nothing substantial fell from the sky. We have the same forecast here. I'm going away on vacation the week after next so it's a "must do" thing for me next week but I'm not sweating it because they are calling for showers.

andygold
10-17-2005, 05:44 PM
Those of you who are mowing in the rain(been raining for almost 2 weeks straight), on ZTRs, how do you keep from ripping the turf into mud bogs when you make turns in the semi-flooded grass? My lawns are probably around 8 inches high, and it's scheduled to rain for the rest of this week.