PDA

View Full Version : Do you go to them or just wait??

southtx
10-08-2005, 05:08 PM
I went to 2 of my clients to other day and when I was leaving they both asked me "DID MY GIRLFRIEND SO AND SO CALL YOU?" No they have not well I gave them your number last week and they said they need someone. Well do I ask for there numbers or just wait around? I don't want to look like I'm needy.....but I could use the clients. I mean the other day my girlfriend's grandpa got me 2 name one with a number called her today and going over Monday to give a price. Just wanted to see what some of y'all would do?

rodfather
10-08-2005, 05:34 PM
Simple. Respond by saying, "maybe they just forgot to call me. Do you want me to call them?"

topsites
10-08-2005, 06:09 PM
Simple. Respond by saying, "maybe they just forgot to call me. Do you want me to call them?"

Yeah, they musta forgot... (at least that's what I would say - Meanwhile the thought is running through my head: It must not be that big a deal - So play it off, nothing but a thing)

I NEVER make cold calls, not even warm ones. Doing so puts me at their mercy, I am giving them access to the ship's rudder... I ALWAYS let them call me, even most of my regulars, they call me and not the other way around (thou yes I do call to check on things but NOT to solicit work). To me, whether they're doing it on purpose or by accident (hopefully by accident), the scheme of ME calling one of THEIR friends doesn't hold water: If they truly need my services, then they SHOULD have called already and every thing else is just more of the same old song and dance.

Another way to say it is, from THEIR point of view MOST likely they are thinking like employees and to an employee, it all makes perfect sense. However, from an owner's point of view, it does not. One can not expect them to understand this, it took me years to see things from the other side, I don't even know exactly how I would explain it, other than I play it off and that usually works... If they INSIST that I call their friend, I kinda agree and then do my best to forget about it again :)

DynaMow
10-08-2005, 06:32 PM
WOW, these answers suprise me. If you need the work of course call them. This is business, you do it, they need it. I do not understand how you would be at their mercy. Show aggresiveness and go after what you want. Come on guys, if you want it go get it. IMO

QualityLawnCare4u
10-08-2005, 06:36 PM
I never call no one under these circumstances. Everytime I have in the past they act like "what the ^^^ did you call me for"? Act like they are totally dumb about them wanting me to call. Had a guy 4 weeks ago give me his 89 year old mothers yard then he made the mistake of telling me how picky she is, wants it done this way, and no contracts. I did not call and saw him this week and first thing he asked was did I call her. Told him no she will have to call me that I no longer make cold calls that make me feel stupid. Acted like he was po but thats just tough.

Az Gardener
10-08-2005, 06:49 PM
If you need the work call, if not let it go. Or soft sell, develop a quarterly or monthly newsletter, put a picture or two of your perfectly manicured property and educate them tell them whats going on this time of year what they should be planning for like seasonal flowers, leaves, Christmas decorations, what vegetables is it time to plant in the garden. This is the best marketing tool I have found. it keeps my clients in the loop, reduces calls to me asking questions, allows me to change or amend policies without the dreaded letter. and I can send it to prospective clients as a guide whether they use me or not.

DynaMow
10-08-2005, 07:12 PM
If you need the work call, if not let it go. Or soft sell, develop a quarterly or monthly newsletter, put a picture or two of your perfectly manicured property and educate them tell them whats going on this time of year what they should be planning for like seasonal flowers, leaves, Christmas decorations, what vegetables is it time to plant in the garden. This is the best marketing tool I have found. it keeps my clients in the loop, reduces calls to me asking questions, allows me to change or amend policies without the dreaded letter. and I can send it to prospective clients as a guide whether they use me or not.

I like this, I am going to incorperate that in my marketing. What a tool.

Ol'time Lawncare
10-08-2005, 07:53 PM
Bottom line , if you want my service then you have to call me.

K.Carothers
10-08-2005, 09:22 PM
Call! Get the account early enough to squeeze out 2 or 3 more cuts instead of only one-more payup

I read that someone never calls their customers for work. Are you nuts?? I have landed some serious cash jobs by this method. I am on their lawn all season and see all the potential gold just hanging around to be grabbed like pruning, mulching, or even an entire new landscape look around the house. The customers are so busy with "life" that they sometimes need reminded of these things and are thankful. One job can net you more cash in a day then you would make cutting that same yard all year long. Think about it.

Precision
10-08-2005, 09:31 PM
Call! Get the account early enough to squeeze out 2 or 3 more cuts instead of only one-more payup

I read that someone never calls their customers for work. Are you nuts?? I have landed some serious cash jobs by this method. I am on their lawn all season and see all the potential gold just hanging around to be grabbed like pruning, mulching, or even an entire new landscape look around the house. The customers are so busy with "life" that they sometimes need reminded of these things and are thankful. One job can net you more cash in a day then you would make cutting that same yard all year long. Think about it.

It is very different to call an existing client and say, hey are you gonna be mulching your beds this fall or did you want me to get that, then calling a perfect stranger and begging for a new account.

If you need the money then call, but you are not in the driver's seat. My clients refer people to me and when they call me I give them an estimate, not before.

Jason Rose
10-08-2005, 09:57 PM
I say let them call you. More often that not, their friend or co-worker whom is your customer is being nice and looking out for you and trying to get you more work. that's great and all, but when they were talking to this new prospective client of yours was there really an intrest there, or did they say, "yell I'll call your guy" just to get the other person to shut up?

I had a sour experience this summer, not a call I made to a new customer, but a whole mowing job, lawn was a foot tall and edges overgrown. A current customer told me of the job and said he talked to the owner and she wanted me to DO IT. She even called me and left a message but when I returned her call I couldn't reach her. It was one of those deals where every day that went by and it wasn't mowed it was just getting worse, and harder for me to tame it. After a few days I decided to just mow it, make it look great, and have the job. Even tho I had only talked to her co-worker, who swore to me that she wanted me to do it.
I still couldn't get in touch with her so I talked to my customer and he said he'd tell her I had done it and that it was $50 for this first time and would be $30 thereafter. Well no suprise, like always, he gave her the message and she flipped about the $50 and then FINALLY called me to tell me she was finding someone else. I HAD left her a message with that very price and that I was going to do it the next day but got no return call. I gave her fair warning but then she waited till I had done the job to be pissed. She got someone else, whoever it is scalped the lawn nearly to the dirt, plus the irrigation that was working when I mowed it hasn't been on for weeks and weeks now. It's brown and looks like hell. I guess she got the cheap service she wanted, plus since it's dead she only had to pay the new guy for the one cut!

As for calling a potential new customer I'd say go for it. If you know that, or have been told that, they have been told of you and may be expecting your call. Some people are just shy like that or are simply scared of new people. If you break the ice first it never hurts. I have actually lost one or two because I didn't call them so they figured I was too busy or not interested so they found someone else!

southtx
10-09-2005, 12:10 AM
Thanks yall I'm going back at the end of the week and I think I will try to make my move on getting some numbers. This has never happened to me most of the time they call me, but I can see where calling them can land a person some good jobs. Thanks for yalls time.