PDA

View Full Version : Edging Widths

Wells
10-08-2005, 06:43 PM
I recently obtained a new client that released her previous Lawn Company for whatever reasons. I get there for the first time and the yard looks really nice and everything has been well maintained, however the edging work that the previous company had done is about 4x times the width of a normal edging blade (about 1" wide).

Is there some thick blade out there that produces this effect? I figure it will take a good part of a season for that edge to fill in enough before i'll need to edge again. I guess i've just never seen this before and was curious why you would want the edge so wide, anybody know?

brinlee lawn
10-08-2005, 06:53 PM
There is a property next to one of mine that has a super wide edge also. There is a real big difference looks kinda funny the contrast between the to. To me it looks like someone uses a trimmer to edge with and over time it gets wider and wider. just my .2 cents.

Precision
10-08-2005, 10:36 PM
I recently obtained a new client that released her previous Lawn Company for whatever reasons. I get there for the first time and the yard looks really nice and everything has been well maintained, however the edging work that the previous company had done is about 4x times the width of a normal edging blade (about 1" wide).

Is there some thick blade out there that produces this effect? I figure it will take a good part of a season for that edge to fill in enough before i'll need to edge again. I guess i've just never seen this before and was curious why you would want the edge so wide, anybody know?

Most likely the person doing the edging was edging the grass and not edging the sidewalk. Some people think they aren't edging unless they remove grass and that eventually erodes into the turf zone.

Or it could be by request. I have one client who thinks her lawn drains better with a 3 inch wide border edged around all hard surfaces. We do it and she is happy. Pretty minor in the scheme of things.

macaw
10-09-2005, 10:11 AM
I have one that the edge is 4" wide this is the way it was when they got the house they want to kept it that way all this dose is let the weeds grow in it
I have tried to get them to let me fill it in but that was a big no so I just go with the flow I do make extra keeping out the weeds.

Nosmo
10-10-2005, 03:45 PM
I believe there is a way to make a normal edger blade cut a wider path . It would be the same principal which a dado blade operates on a radial arm saw or table saw.

All you would need is an adjustable wobble washer the right diameter of your shaft. What in the world is a wobble washer ?

It is a washer with a flat side with another rotating piece
somewhat like a wedge. It will make the blade go around making a wider path just like a saw cutting a dado.

Have you even seen any of the old Keystone Kops movies when they went down the street in their car with the wheels wobbling ? Thats how it is done.

Nosmo

Precision
10-10-2005, 04:31 PM
I believe there is a way to make a normal edger blade cut a wider path . It would be the same principal which a dado blade operates on a radial arm saw or table saw.

All you would need is an adjustable wobble washer the right diameter of your shaft. What in the world is a wobble washer ?

It is a washer with a flat side with another rotating piece
somewhat like a wedge. It will make the blade go around making a wider path just like a saw cutting a dado.

Have you even seen any of the old Keystone Kops movies when they went down the street in their car with the wheels wobbling ? Thats how it is done.

Nosmo

that would work, unfortunately it would also ruin the gears / bearings in the edger head.

The reality is most times you see that it is user error created over time.

Eclipse
10-10-2005, 10:32 PM
There is one company in our area that has a 3/4"-1" gap next to walks, curbs, and even the edging around the beds. All you need to do is tilt the edger blade waayyyy over. The closer to top of the blade gets to the turf the wider the cut.

On one had I like the way it looks, but on the other hand I think a clean sharpe edge looks just as good.

Nosmo
10-10-2005, 10:55 PM
My preference is standard about 1/8" between the grass and concrete.

Nosmo

DALMlawn&landscaping
10-10-2005, 11:55 PM
i use to have a few people that requested wide edging, like a solid inch, it looked gross to me, i like the thin, clean looking edging, and i actually use to get told that my edging wasn't wide enough, its like, what the hell! but good thing is it grows back pretty fast, well at least with st. agustine it did. damn those weird edge people...

Envy Lawn Service
10-11-2005, 12:45 AM
I see this from time to time, which in contrast is better than the no edging at all that I see the most of. Usually this wide edge develops in one of two basic ways...

One is, they edge, edge, edge along borders of grasses that are not intrusive by nature, and the edge just keeps moving farther into the turf zone.

The other is pure and simple corner cutting so they rarely ever have to edge. They let it go as long as they can, then cut back aggresively and spray roundup in the void. This allows them to skip edging again for long periods of time. Scrubbish....

JKOOPERS
10-11-2005, 01:00 AM
they might have got that edge by using a trimmer. alls that does is promote healthy weed areas

Nosmo
10-11-2005, 10:21 AM
Absolutely Gross ! There is a church at a major intersection in town . There are low curbs around the church and the sod is at least 4 inches higher than the curb. The edge is cut back about 4 inches too.

Plenty of room between the curb and sod to pitch in beer bottles and pop cans.

Nosmo

PMLAWN
10-11-2005, 10:59 AM
The reason is that the old guy used a string trimmer and not a stick edger. The edger can be held against the curb to give that 1/8 to 1/4 cut that looks right where as the trimmer will get farther and farther as the year goes buy. Becomes a great place for weeds to grow.
Since it is reseeding time just bring a little dirt and fill it in than reseed. Give it a few weeks and stick edge it and it will look so much better.

Brianslawn
10-11-2005, 05:15 PM
we cut ours back 1/2" from sidewalk and down 1/4" below sidewalk. thats what most people round here like. always use string trimmers. only once used edger (only by request). walk on grass with trimmer upside down will produce a nice look.

as for 4".... are they smoking the grass they cut?????

Nosmo
10-11-2005, 06:53 PM
as for 4".... are they smoking the grass they cut?????

Looks like the church property is edged off with a sharpshooter or the like.

Nosmo