PDA

View Full Version : What do you do when you MUST move?

Dashunde
10-08-2005, 06:51 PM
I'm moving out of the St. Louis area for about a year... I dont want to, but its for my wifes PhD.

I've got my little mowing op going here, and its doing ok.
I seem to do ahelluva lot more revenue in patios and walls, but $ is $ right?

The thing is... We'll be back December 2006, but I am going to fully miss the '06 season. And I'll be starting from scratch upon my return (yuck).

I'm not real sure what to do with my current hard-found accounts?
They like my work, and I hope they will take me back when I return.

It's kind of got me messed up and I'm not sure what to do, I've put a lot into this, only to end up posting my stuff for sale here and start over when I return.

sheshovel
10-08-2005, 06:55 PM
Put your equiptment in storage for a year then come back and start right up,it would be less expensive than to buy all new stuff upon your return because prices for equip will have gone up.

mow king
10-08-2005, 06:56 PM
I'd still contract with them, then find another LCO that you can trust and sub-contract the work out for a year. Make sure they sign a non-compete contract. When you return (hopefully) your accounts will be right where you left them.

Dashunde
10-08-2005, 07:29 PM
Put your equiptment in storage for a year then come back and start right up,it would be less expensive than to buy all new stuff upon your return because prices for equip will have gone up.

True. And I thought about that..
However, storage big enough to hold even a small trailer is about $100 per month x 12 months is $1200.
I doubt I would make out better going that route? (and my stuff would be a year older)

Alternatively...
If I take the loaded trailer with me I'll have to spend more renting a house with a garage. But maybe I can make that up over the '06 season in the new town, assuming I can find enough accounts.

This whole thing sux.

I guess in the end I'll let the offers I get on my mower (and other eqip.) decide for me?

Arrrg.

Thirdpete
10-08-2005, 08:02 PM
Leave the trailer with an inlaw or somebody perhaps?

Envy Lawn Service
10-08-2005, 08:09 PM
I'd just notify my customers and sub out my route for 2006.

Roger
10-08-2005, 08:14 PM
What do you plan to do for the year while away? Is there any opportunity to take equipment with you to do some work for the season elsewhere? No, it isn't like keeping your present accounts, but it would be a source of revenue while gone. And, try to sub-out the present accounts, just like suggested above.

fastlane
10-08-2005, 09:31 PM
Is she going to far to visit? Are you sure you're moving back? Do you own a house? Why not stay and keep your customers. Treat this as she were in the service and shipped out for a year.

Dashunde
10-09-2005, 12:25 AM
Ok.. so here is the story, and why I must move.
I'm actually getting married in Jan '06... to a Brazilian.
We have to live together for green card purposes... and either way, I doubt I'd be willing to live apart (350miles) for that year.
Southwest Airlines has already parted me with nearly $3000... enough is enough.

Arrrg.

yrdandgardenhandyman
10-09-2005, 12:59 AM
Ok.. so here is the story, and why I must move.
I'm actually getting married in Jan '06... to a Brazilian.
We have to live together for green card purposes... and either way, I doubt I'd be willing to live apart (350miles) for that year.
Southwest Airlines has already parted me with nearly $3000... enough is enough.

Arrrg.

First, congratulations on your upcoming marriage.
Secondly, it sucks that your career will be interupted but couldn't you take the equipment and start your business where you're going? Make at least enough to keep the equipment and, as was stated before, sub out your current contracts.
Thirdly, even if you lose all your accounts, (some will surely stay with you when it's all over) you won't be starting from scratch. The knowledge and experience you have acquired by running this business in the past, will be something you won't lose. It may be a bit tough to rebuild your business but you did it before and you have the tools in your head to make it happen again.
Good luck.