PDA

View Full Version : Wiper Problem on 1989 F350

Markf
10-08-2005, 07:36 PM
I have an '89 Ford F350 4x4. The problem is when the wipers are on high speed, after a minute or two of wiping, the arms will stop for a brief second or two and then pick up were they left off. Then it becomes a common action on almost every stoke. This does not happen on the low speed. Intermittent speeds are also no problem. Is this a wiper motor problem? Suggestions? Thx.
Mark

UNISCAPER
10-09-2005, 04:29 PM
Try first checking the resistance in that circut. What it sounds like is happening is the circut breaker is tripping. that can be eiether wiring perhaps grounding slightly, or back feeding through the motor. If the motor is taking a dump on you, it will draw alot from the curcut and trip the breaker.

Since you mention it does this only on high, I'm betting that's your problem.

mmacsek
10-09-2005, 05:16 PM
I have a 89 Ford Superduty and I had the problem on low speed. I replaced the switch and that took care of it. I think it was about $45.00. The place I take the truck for the safety inspection said that model year was notorious for electrical gremlins. I don't like being a parts changer but when the switch has a burnt smell, I tried that first. Good Luck Matt

Markf
10-14-2005, 10:50 AM
Turns out it was the wiper motor. FYI