PDA

View Full Version : Thought to ponder

DynaMow
10-09-2005, 12:14 AM
You are interviewing for a job you really want. The employer says that the hourly rate is $15.00 an hour, and he has a few other candidates to interview. Then he states that you can have the position right now for $10.00 an hour. Now knowing it is worth $15 do you except the position hoping to get to the desired rate down the road? You think you do not need as much as the next guy because house is paid for, no kids at home, etc... How would you feel everyday that every other employee makes $5 more per hour?

My answer is no way would any of us do this. The employer knows we will settle for less and never get us to the proper level. We would rely on the belief that we are better then the others, and we will get the position if we just hold out. If we do not get hired, then we will look for the next opportunity.

So why do we do this if we are an LCO?

Don't get me wrong not all my accounts are where they should be, but that is the main thing I am going to change.

garth1967
10-09-2005, 12:32 AM
i have found myself in this position before if i was in my busy season iwould remind the employer that if pay peanuts you will get monkeys and that i run a business that wont survive if i go under a certain amount that my accountant has recomended if it was my slow season i would take the job and treat it like it was a hundred dollar job and if i got a better offer i would take if he didnt want to increase the rate :cool2:

yrdandgardenhandyman
10-09-2005, 02:14 AM
You are interviewing for a job you really want. The employer says that the hourly rate is $15.00 an hour, and he has a few other candidates to interview. Then he states that you can have the position right now for $10.00 an hour. Now knowing it is worth $15 do you except the position hoping to get to the desired rate down the road? You think you do not need as much as the next guy because house is paid for, no kids at home, etc... How would you feel everyday that every other employee makes $5 more per hour?

Happens all the time in business. It's called 'entry level'. The difference between your example and the lawncare biz is that in your example there is usually a schedule for you to reach that $15.00/hr top rate. We have to implement our raises with no guarentee of keeping the job afterwards. In both cases, you must prove you are worth the higher rate.

Nosmo
10-09-2005, 10:14 AM
What he is trying to get across is looking at it from the LCO's side in taking on a customer. Doing a starting job worth really more but doing it for less in hopes the customer will later begin paying more for the job.

Not Likely To Happen !

bobbygedd
10-09-2005, 10:31 AM
you cannot even begin to compare taking on a CLIENT to being hired for a job on someone elses timeclock. when i take on a client, the price is say, $30, and that, is that. on the other hand, when i apply for employment, i ask for a starting hourly wage, let's say $15. if he comes back with a counter offer of $13, it's not the same as a client counter offer. when employed by an employer, the hourly wage, or salary, is not the only thing you are getting. you need to look at the big picture= paid sick time, paid vacation time, having half, or more, of your benefits paid, paid holidays, etc not to mention the ability to keep your job, if you break your leg, or become ill for a period of time. if an employer is paying you $13 an hour, you are probably recieving more like $18-$22 an hour if u calculate the times you were off, and got paid for it, as well as the bennies, not to mention time you were just hanging around and still getting paid. on the other hand, that $30 grasscut needs to be handled alot more intelligently, if it's $30, you are probably making $15. miss a cut, you don't get paid. take holidays or vacation time off, you don't get paid, get sick and miss a few weeks, lose the job. there's no comparisson. as far as giving into a clients counter offer, you can do it, but only if there is something in it for you. example: $30 per cut. they ask can you do $28? you say sure, if you buy a fert program for $250. you came down $60 on the season for the mowing, but you make it up, by "adjusting " the fert, and the fact that you can do a stop, mow for $28, and do an app for $50, without making 2 trips. u get what i'm saying...

Wells
10-09-2005, 02:21 PM
I believe it all depends where is person is at with their business and the level they are trying to achieve.

If you're new to the business and are looking to add clients quickly in order to go full time you will need a certain amount of work, the more clients one can obtain the quicker they can go full time. It's unfortunate but the lowest bidder will typically pick up their accounts quicker then the highest bidder.

Now on the other hand the guy that has been in business for 10 years already has a full schedule of clients and can hold out for the preferred clients that are willing to pay more for the job.

Bottom line is one needs a certain amount of income in order to sustain themselves in this business, settling for slightly less in order to achieve your income level sooner is one way of working the business, not the only way but ONE way. Once you achieve your desired income level and can sustain yourself, you can then hold out for the higher paying clients and slowly weed out the cheaper ones.

I find it hard to believe that some people that talk about holding out and not taking on a price shopper felt the same way back when they only had 5 or 6 clients and were looking to expand.