PDA

View Full Version : Should I come back to mow?

South Florida Lawns
10-09-2005, 02:04 AM
One of my customers was having a garage sale, So I was unable to service their yard, while in that area on Friday. So today I get a message from the home owners wondering why I didn't mow their lawn. What would you do? I know I don't wanna cut a single blade of grass on the weekend. Also it would have been a waste of time at the end of the day to drive all the way back to that area for one lawn.

QualityLawnCare4u
10-09-2005, 02:14 AM
If they wanted me to come back it would be an extra charge, especially as high as gas is. Did they inform you they were having a garage sale before you came? I will make no more special trips for no one and that includes the Pope. I did that my first few years and got tired of being a door mat and being at pita bec and call.

Ric
10-09-2005, 03:39 AM
SFL

We are in a service business and that is what we sell. So give what you promise because someone else will. Smile and cut it this one time, But if it is a regular thing then it is time to move on.

bobbygedd
10-09-2005, 08:08 AM
yes, i would go back, and on the way, perhaps pick up a small gift...

Runner
10-09-2005, 09:15 AM
I would do it this time. You have the choice between driving over again and doing it, or probably spending the time to double or triple cut next time, so it's six in one hand, half a dozen in the other. You could let them know though, that anytime they have an event or something like this, let you know ahead of time and you can make accomodations for them. Customers appreciate that.

Woody82986
10-09-2005, 10:41 AM
Did they tell you about the sale in advance? If they didn't then when you call them back I would politely tell them that you can't service the proeprty with that much stuff and people around. That said, tell them that you will make it out Monday morning so you can enjoy the rest of your weekend and that next time you would appreciate a call so you didn't have to run by their property for nothing.

proenterprises
10-09-2005, 10:44 AM
Being me, I would probably do it this once, but let them know your concern. Chances are they will see it your way, and probably make it worth your while.

GrassBustersLawn
10-09-2005, 10:50 AM
You should of had this conversation with the property owner when you were out there on the day of the sale! That would have prevented the "miscommunication" and follow up phone call from her. I agree with you, I definitely would not have cut with alot of stuff, people & vehicles near the lawn. Someone would have complained about a clipping or dust landing on their stuff, car or person.

I would have definitely spoke with owner at that time. Told them why you were not cutting and told them to TELL YOU IN ADVANCE the next time they have a SPECIAL EVENT like this.

Mike

newz7151
10-09-2005, 12:40 PM

Ok, while I have only been a member for a little while.. I did lurk here and just read for a long time..

I know what has happened now.. Somebody has hacked the bobbygedd account and is posting these little "small gift" posts in between him getting on and posting all his regular posts in an attempt to discredit him.

Oh, and back to the question. Is the cut under contract that states a set mowing day for that account? If it is, and the people know what that day is and did not contact you to try and make other arrangements.. then they can wait till next friday.

geogunn
10-09-2005, 01:25 PM
You should of had this conversation with the property owner when you were out there on the day of the sale!

exactamundo. you didn't handle buisness properly. your bad.

an option is for you to tell them you won't charge for the skipped cut but unfortunately because of tall grass next week you willhave to charge double.

GEO :waving:

wissel_landscaping
10-09-2005, 01:54 PM
I would cut it monday if i was in the area, raise the deck a half inch then come back on friday and cut it again like i normally would so not to skip a cut then bill them for 4 cuts for the month.

Ric
10-09-2005, 02:04 PM

BooBy

As newz7151 has pointed out, this is quite a departure from your normal Business ethics as most of us see them.

I believe the answer to this question is all about attitude. Your Business Model and attitude to carry out the Business plan should be the same.

My Business model was based on service to the customer first and I even made it clear to them an occasional change it the schedule because of special event like a party or Company coming to visit was no problem. Part of your Business model is marketing. Attitude Perceived by the customer can go a long way in word of mouth, good or bad. But bad word of mouth travels faster. Making friends or being friendly with your customer should be the first goal in providing a service. People like doing business with people they like. They over look things if they like you instead of being a PITA. This just a common sense fact of life.

Fantasy Lawns
10-09-2005, 02:10 PM
The crew leader should have stopped n talk to the owner .... otherwise ... it's gonna be the first stop Monday morning

Service is a condition of attitude, respect & response ... both as the giver & receiver

bobbygedd
10-09-2005, 02:28 PM
phew, thank god, i finally got free, the imposter had me tied up, in the closet. the cops are hauling her off now. ok, NO, I WOULD NOT GO BACK. AND SURE, I'D BRING A GIFT, a long handled round nosed shovel!

PROCUT1
10-09-2005, 04:16 PM
The nerve of them having a garage sale........ You need to flex your muscles and show them just how big and powerful you are......... Id send them a certified letter advising them of their " improper conduct" and let them know that in the future it is grounds for termination....

Let them know that you're being a good guy and assuming that that was a one time lack of judgment.

While you're at it you should demand payment for the missed cut and then charge double on Monday for the extra day of growth with a hefty fuel surcharge..

bobbygedd
10-09-2005, 05:13 PM
The nerve of them having a garage sale........ You need to flex your muscles and show them just how big and powerful you are......... Id send them a certified letter advising them of their " improper conduct" and let them know that in the future it is grounds for termination....

Let them know that you're being a good guy and assuming that that was a one time lack of judgment.

While you're at it you should demand payment for the missed cut and then charge double on Monday for the extra day of growth with a hefty fuel surcharge..
or, you can go back, and mow it, for what will amount to A FREE VISIT. yes, i said free. most of you guys are operating at a pretty slim profit margin. if you have something else to do monday, and you are going to inconvenience yourself by hooking up, and making a special trip out for this client, who obviously has so little respect for you, that they didn;t even notify you that they wouldn't be able to be mowed on the schedule day, you will probably end up mowing monday, at a loss. i had this happen one time, i ended up "bending" , i also ended up dumping them anyhow, the bottom line is they had so little respect for me, that it happened 3 times, in 3 weeks, even AFTER they were told to call and notify me if they couldn't have it cut. you wanna be on thier leash, go right ahead, go back on monday and cut it. let me know though, so i can put u on ignore if you do. stand up boy, be a man. btw, out of the few that gave you advice in this thread, of going back, one sunk like a rock and went out of business, the other, is a part timer working for cash when he's not walking the beat. do the right thing

Precision
10-10-2005, 05:13 PM
Mr. Jones, we are in your area on Friday. It would be nearly impossible for us to drive from one of our other service areas to our property early in the week and still be within standard business hours. If you would like to pay extra so I can pay my crew overtime we would be happy, this one time, to take care of your yard on Monday. Otherwise, we will not be in your area again until thursday so we might as well wait until your next scheduled cut. In the future, please give us some warning and perhaps we can make alternative arrangements ahead of time.

And if they make a fuss over that, you are nothing but the lawn boy. Be prepared for more frequent and continued shaftings or be prepared to drop them like the no good PITA's they are.

brucec32
10-10-2005, 07:18 PM
Unless they showed basic courtesy to let you know ahead of time when the sale was so you could work around it, I wouldn't go back if it wasn't convenient.

I had one like this a couple weeks ago. But the owner said he thought I was already switched to every other week for the fall (I wasn't, it was still September). He was fine with skipping it though.

I say stick to your guns and reasonable terms. Anyone who doesn't have enough consideration for you to give you a head's up on a yard sale isn't going to be a good long term customer most likely.

If you continually keep deadbeats, the inconsiderate, and people who want everything done a little cheaper, you will eventually wind up with a schedule full of trouble. I always take the opportunity to weed out problems so that in years to come my schedule is full of great customers. What's easiest now(keeping them happy and not losing the account) you may regret in years to come.

befnme
10-11-2005, 08:36 AM
number 11. in my contract reads.

11.It is the responsibility of the customer to insure lawn is free of toys, hoses, garden hose-style lawn sprinklers, cords, etc. before contractor arrives to service lawn. Contractor must have access to lawn on day service is to be provided. If contractor arrives at customer’s property to provide service, but cannot gain access to property (due to a locked gate for example), contractor will charge customer regular service charge, even though contractor was unable to provide service.

cant gain entry for any reason i got to go , no exceptions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
thanks gopher software.

South Florida Lawns
10-22-2005, 07:06 PM
I know these elder customers of mine. If I would have stopped buy to tell them I was not gonna service them they would have wanted my whole crew out moving things around so I could mow. They are crazy like that. It was a big sale and I didn't want to spend my afternoon with them moving crap around.

Lawnworks
10-22-2005, 07:19 PM
Monday sounds good to me. I sure as hell would not make a special trip on Saturday(if your not working).

roscioli
10-23-2005, 11:23 PM
Mr. Homeowners association leader: The homeowner was having a yardsale and I was unable to service the lawn. Unfortunately I am only in that area on Fridays, so I won't be able to mow it until next Friday. If that is absolutely not acceptable I might be able to make a special trip out on Monday, but it might be before 8am or after 6pm if that is okay. Then I will return to the regular schedule by mowing it again on Friday. Thank you.