PDA

View Full Version : Once in a blue moon

tfilbert
10-09-2005, 07:28 AM
Every once in awhile this happens and it still blows me away. Got a call for an estimate at a trailer park. Now I avoid trailer parks but this guy had gotten a hold of my busniess card and it was on my route so I stopped by after my regular day at about 6:00pm. He was an older guy and said he and wife wanted there place to look very nice and so on. You all know the drill.
I gave a price and he said OK so I started to unload the mower. He said wait - I don't get paid till thursday. I thought about it and did something I've never done for a one cut deal. I said what the heck I'm here and it will only be getting taller and might as well do the job and stop back for payment. The man said he would really appreciate that so I did. Stopped back on thursday and was meet by wife and husband as I got out of the truck. She handed me a thank-you card and inside was a very nice note thanking me for trusting them and a very nice tip + payment. They now want weekly service and some extras like flower beds and mulching and landscaping etc. At a trailer park? Once in a blue moon.
Tim :)

rodfather
10-09-2005, 08:24 AM
Things like that Tim are what keep ya pluggin' week after week huh :D

brinlee lawn
10-09-2005, 08:44 AM
tips are nice, but the last one I got ended up with them skipping out on a 320.00 month bill. :dizzy: :dizzy:

Cigarcop
10-09-2005, 08:51 AM
Just goes to show you that there still are some honest and appreciative people out there!

Randy J
10-09-2005, 12:29 PM
Sometimes it pays to be nice to people. That's cool.

riches139
10-09-2005, 04:24 PM
Bobby would never approve.

LawnBrother
10-09-2005, 08:09 PM
Ya' gotta love nice people. Last week after I got done mowing the lady comes out and stops me before I leave. I am thinking "Oh GREAT what did I do wrong..." and she says " I just wanted to say thanks for doing such a great job every week, we really appreciate having you! I look forward to mondays when you come to cut the grass!"
It doesn't seem like much, but man, it really made my day :)

procut
10-09-2005, 08:31 PM
Reminds me of a time a got a call for work in a trailer park. At first I thought "you've got to be kidding," but ended up working out just fine.

gman44
10-09-2005, 10:00 PM
Those small pats on the back erase alot of days that nothing seems to go right. Deposit that good feeling in your memory bank , you may need to withdraw it at a later date !

Envy Lawn Service
10-10-2005, 03:00 AM
One of my best is a mobile home... but in a normal private setting on acreage, not a park. Loyal, longstanding, on time, and spend a lot of money with me every year. So the place looks exceedingly remarkable.

JimLewis
10-13-2005, 02:49 AM
tips are nice, but the last one ......

Tips???? What are those??? Hehe. I sort of remember what it felt like to get a tip. Nobody ever tips me anymore. My employees get tips. They get Christmas bonuses, etc. I even had one customer bring out gatorade for all of my employees --- except me! --- the other day at a job we were all working on. Nobody gives the boss anything extra. Oh well, I guess maybe they figure I am getting the big bucks and don't need any tips or maybe they figure I can buy my own drinks or something. Or maybe they just feel like a $10 tip would offend me, because it's not much in comparison to what I make. Maybe it's because I just collected a $5,500 check from them, they feel that a tip really isn't needed. I dunno. I don't really care, anyway. I'm happy being at the top and doing fairly well. But a small tip once in a while would be nice. I wouldn't be offended. :D

tfilbert
10-13-2005, 05:51 AM
Maybe it's because I just collected a $5,500 check from them, they feel that a tip really isn't needed. I dunno. I don't really care, anyway. I'm happy being at the top and doing fairly well. But a small tip once in a while would be nice. I wouldn't be offended.

Jim,
While I'm getting to the point where I may not run a route next year I know I have to get dirty now and then. Even as we continue to grow I think I would miss cutting, hauling mulch, blowing leaves. A few have suggested I could make more money in the office full time but I can't bring myself to do it, yet. Pulled up to a job site a while back and had a crew working there butts off in 100 degrees. Talked to the team leader and saw the owner out giving water to a couple of guys. When she went back in one of the men walked over and was laughing. I ask what was so funny and he said the owner wanted to know who the old guy was talking to the team leader. I had to laugh too because I give all estimates and get all contracts signed and she didn't recognize me without the pressed slacks and company logo polo shirt. Now I'm just some old guy (at 52?). By the way I always think it's kind of odd that each trailer has two 5 gal coolers on the side, one with ice water and the other the flavor of the day Gatorade yet the homeowners are always nice enough to offer something to drink to the crews. I encourage them to accept something, if offered, because I think it helps form a bond and is just plan good manners.
Hope you get a tip real soon.
Tim