PDA

View Full Version : Would you work on Sunday?

mkwl
10-09-2005, 10:23 AM
I've got a quick question for you guys. Since it is not raining now, but it is supposed to rain tommorow through Wednesday night, would you mow today, so you weren't so behind later in the week? Or, should I just do all of the accounts that I miss in the next 3 days on Thursday (since I have the whole day off from School)? Thanks in advance!

-Matt

J&R
10-09-2005, 10:30 AM
I have worked on Sunday. If you get behind you need to work Sundays.

mak2
10-09-2005, 10:40 AM
Only if I have to, like if it rains etc

proenterprises
10-09-2005, 10:45 AM
I will be working today since it will be raining the rest of the week.

QualityLawnCare4u
10-09-2005, 10:46 AM
Only when I am behind and have to. Most of my clients would ask you to leave coming on Sunday with a few exceptions. In my area it makes you look bad pulling a lawncare trailor around on Sunday. The times I have to I ask the client if they mind being the weather has been bad and Im behind or I have been ill. Some will still say no. Had to do one last Sunday and I killed the biggest timber rattler I ever killed, dont know if someone was trying to tell me to go home. :)

Turfdude
10-09-2005, 12:31 PM
We will only work Sundays if its snow clearing. Other than that... its a day off no matter what. Paper work occasionally too.

Frontier-Lawn
10-09-2005, 12:34 PM
i will not work any day that nascar is on period! and besides sunday is my yard maintenance day only.

Cigarcop
10-09-2005, 12:40 PM
Also for snow removal only.

mkwl
10-09-2005, 02:52 PM
It's still really wet here. I think I'll just mow on Thursday.

prizeprop
10-09-2005, 03:45 PM
I only think were going to get a few sprinkles or a passing shower the next couple days, so dont get stressed out. It will probably be better than worse this week.

Planet Landscaping
10-09-2005, 05:03 PM
Crews are mowing today here payup .

NNJLandman
10-09-2005, 07:38 PM
Do what ya gotta do to get that $Gre$en$ and get the job done. If it means working sunday then work sunday. Im right down the road from ya, Im cutting tuesday no matter what, i got the day off from school so. For commercial work weeknds are the best to work, I did a cleanup at a commercial clients property...no cars, no people in the way, got it out of the way.(yes it is early for cleanups but this account requires several small cleanups to maintain a nice looking property).

Jeff

olderthandirt
10-09-2005, 07:47 PM
Sundays are great for commercial accounts. no people and no cars to work around.

LwnmwrMan22
10-09-2005, 08:31 PM
Sundays are great for commercial accounts. no people and no cars to work around.

I agree. I've got 5 banks I do on Sundays, I've got 4 schools on Saturday.

It's much nicer / easier not to have to worry about other people being idiots all the time.

Fubba
10-09-2005, 08:54 PM
Never work on Sunday...ever.

daveintoledo
10-09-2005, 10:50 PM
and moneday and tuesday....

i work every day, only way to get the work done on my schedule... and im grateful to have that much work .... :cool2:

gman44
10-09-2005, 10:53 PM
I will go out on a sunday if nesc. Dont like to , Id rather spend time with family . This week looks wet so I took advantage of a half dry sunday and cut as many as I could today .

The Captain
10-10-2005, 01:35 AM
Sunday if needed. Running out of daylight too early now. Working solo that gets to be a problem this time of year. Trying to get ahead this weekend to go to Expo. Will do only commercials, residencials if the owners okay it. Never start before noon on Sundays.

Jim

PMLAWN
10-10-2005, 10:22 AM
i will not work any day that nascar is on period! and besides sunday is my yard maintenance day only.
I do an industrial park on Sunday

"Sundays are great for commercial accounts. no people and no cars to work around.

As far as Nascar, got the headphones tuned in and a tape at home if I need to see anything. Three hours of riding in peace. Just bummed that Rusty came in 8th but happy for Mark.
This will be a bad week around here a far as cutting commercial because of the Nascar fans. Starting Tues. they will start to swarm.

CamLand
10-10-2005, 10:28 AM
I worked this past Sunday because I went hunting over the weekend.Otherwise I try and take Sunday off to spend what little time I have with my family...

mkwl
10-10-2005, 10:34 AM
Well, I didn't end up working yesterday anyway, since most of my lawns were mush. I'll just have to play "catch up" on Thursday (supposed to stop raining, AND I have the day off from School :cool2: !).

LwnmwrMan22
10-10-2005, 10:52 PM
I have 6 months to spend with the family once the snow falls around here.

Baseballer1100
10-10-2005, 11:23 PM
I have to work sundays between school baseball and football.....

joshua
10-11-2005, 01:34 AM
i had a landscaping job sunday was on the job site at 8 a.m left at 7:30p.m finished it today at 7:30 p.m. i work 7 days a week weather pending. at most average lawn when i'm cutting i'm in and out in 15-20 mins, most customers don't mind. besides whats the difference if i come and cut their lawn or both there neighbors take 2 hours cuttings theres.

topsites
10-11-2005, 02:02 AM
Never work on Sunday...ever.

I agree, and NEVER break your own rules...

In 4 years I worked on a Sunday twice...
I'll never do it again.

So, do it if you must find out why you shouldn't, LOL!

Envy Lawn Service
10-11-2005, 02:23 AM
And the answer is.... if I want to. End of discussion.

The days I work are to my discression, and likewise so is whom I would do that for.
I used to go at it A&E without regard to anything.
The excuse being... gotta do what you gotta do...

And to an extent that is true, but I have came to learn what 'to an extent' means to me.

Green Pastures
10-11-2005, 03:01 AM
I will not work on Sunday unless I absolutely have to.

BTW, since starting this business I've never "had" to.

If I did, I'd not get hung up on the day I rested, I would make sure I did rest 1 out of every 7 day's though. It's a principal God was teaching not another "law".

YMMV

PMLAWN
10-11-2005, 06:36 AM
Good point Green. Just to clarify the Sunday work, Sunday is a day of worship and we do spend Sunday morn at church. I also am involved with the Church council and am there a few other days. On Thursday night we run an outreach program to the community and spend a few other hours at that.
Family always get dinner on Sunday night as it is the only night that we can all be home to eat.
The "DAY" of the week that it is has very little to do with what we do on that day as every day get a little of everything done on it. Life has too much going on to block a whole day to one thing.
Have always told the kids that the order of importance is
#1 Church
#2 Family
#3 School/work
#4 House and home (chores)
#5 Playtime

RICHIE K
10-11-2005, 07:15 AM
We work every SUNDAY we do 60% of our commercial accts. that day.
I do this because these accts. are not open and no people are around to bother me.

Richie K

www.kulakandcompany.com

bobbygedd
10-11-2005, 09:43 AM
i'd rather work sunday than monday or tuesdays. weekends are for the weekend warriors, the cattle, as they herd thier way about, trying to accomplish everything in only 2 days, cus they gave the other 5 days of thier life to thier employer. MOOO, MOOOOO. now, during football season, i try and take off sun, mon, and tues. otherwise, i'd much rather work sunday, than monday. you must learn, and accept, that weather issues are something you can't predict, and never control. go with the flow, if the client can't, screw em.

Dashunde
10-11-2005, 11:47 AM
I'd work Sunday for myself, but not for someone else.

jbell113
10-11-2005, 04:52 PM
I have not worked a sunday in 18 months. i wont work sunday even if I know its going to rain monday through friday.

Precision
10-11-2005, 10:31 PM
not a religious person.
For me it is a matter of economics. If it will cost me more time, energy or hassle not to work on Sunday, then I work on Sunday.

If I have someone special request it then they pay extra. If they are unreasonable then I tell them, sorry no work on Sunday. Must pay employees overtime at double time. would you be willing to pay that? Answer is always no.

lawnprosteveo
10-11-2005, 11:25 PM
I've worked on Sunday before... I don't like to but occassionally it needs to be done to catch up.

Darryl G
10-12-2005, 12:05 AM
If I work on the weekend I always call my residential customers first and tell them that I plan to mow if it isn't inconvenient for them.

Smalltimer1
10-12-2005, 12:11 AM
I usually try to stick to doing PM & repairs on my equipment on Sunday afternoons unless I absolutely have to do a job before I return to school.

BladeRunner1967
10-12-2005, 08:52 AM
I do a 4 acre commercial job on Sunday mornings. It's in a commercial developement where no houses are around. The operations manager likes it that way because when his employees come in on Monday morning everything is fresh for the week. I like it because there are no cars around to blow grass on.

bobbygedd
10-12-2005, 09:12 AM
If I work on the weekend I always call my residential customers first and tell them that I plan to mow if it isn't inconvenient for them.
that's funny......" hi, ummm, mrs smit, ummmm, dis i wittle dawel, the wawn boy, would it be ok, i mean, if you don't mind, i mean, if i'm not bothering you, i mean, can i cut the gwass today?" screw em! i went out early one sunday, the whole neighborhood was quiet as a heck, the birds were chirping, it was peaceful, i must say. i called the cop shop from my cell, i asked how early can i mow. he said not before 8 am, but, if u want to be courteous, wait till 10. i asked, am i gonna get arrested for not being courteous? he said no. 7:59...i pulled the cord

palm boy
10-12-2005, 09:55 AM
that was funny Bobby. I do seriously agree w/ you pulling the cord at 8:00. At my own house I turn the mower key or pull the cord on the pressure washer at 7:30 if not a little before no matter if weekday or weekend. Of course this is Florida, where a mower can usually be heard running from sunrise to sunset. Back when I had my lco biz I think out of all the customers I had there was only one that requested us not to mow until after 9:00 because there little baby girl (16 yr old cheerleader with brand new sports car and no job) needed to sleep in until 9:30 on Saturdays. The best was when in another nearby gated community we pull up after lunch and start mowing a large lawn. In the backyard behind the pro 50 gravely wb I beleive it was at the time the neighbor lady who is having a luncheon comes running across her back yard and tells me that we cannot mow now because she has people over! Even though I had idled her down my 18 kohler evidently did not here her. As soon as she turned the big gravely powered up and continued on for another 1/2 hour beyond my control. I am sure all her guest must have been devastated if they could here us inside while trying to eat their gourmet lunch spread and sip their glass of wine. People like these are what makes the world interesting. But ya gotta say screw em as Bobby does.

Darryl G
10-12-2005, 12:35 PM
that's funny......" hi, ummm, mrs smit, ummmm, dis i wittle dawel, the wawn boy, would it be ok, i mean, if you don't mind, i mean, if i'm not bothering you, i mean, can i cut the gwass today?" screw em! i went out early one sunday, the whole neighborhood was quiet as a heck, the birds were chirping, it was peaceful, i must say. i called the cop shop from my cell, i asked how early can i mow. he said not before 8 am, but, if u want to be courteous, wait till 10. i asked, am i gonna get arrested for not being courteous? he said no. 7:59...i pulled the cord

Bobby, it's called respect. Something you obviously don't have. I don't ask them, I tell them, but give them the opportunity to tell me if they have guests coming over or whatever. One reason I don't like to mow on the weekend is that all the kids are running around. Besides, I have family of my own.

bobbygedd
10-12-2005, 01:31 PM
respect? it's a two way street sir. if they say no, don't come, are they showing you respect? you have to feed your family, right? screw em, show up, fire it up, and roll. don't like it, call someone else. i'm tired of dealing with so much crap, i feel like a septic tank. everytime i think every possible scenerio is covered in my contract, a new dispute comes up. next year i'll have contracts that look like the sunday paper. either that, or the rule is as follows- i will cut the grass, when i want, how i want, at whatever rate i want. you don't like it? the hell wit ya

Darryl G
10-12-2005, 01:34 PM
Whatever. BTW, isn't Bobby a little boys name?

JimLewis
10-13-2005, 03:23 AM
I haven't worked on a Sunday since the day I started my own company in May of 1996.

Regardless of what your personal convictions are about working on Sundays, to a lot of people in the U.S. it's a sacred thing. Why would you want to potentially offend your customer by dropping by his house and roaring up your loud machines on his day of rest?

Even all of our suppliers are closed on Sundays. Take a hint!

j&c
10-13-2005, 03:53 AM
no most definitely not :sleeping: but to each his own I suppose...............:angel:

bobbygedd
10-13-2005, 05:45 AM
Whatever. BTW, isn't Bobby a little boys name?
yes.............

rodfather
10-13-2005, 07:10 AM
Alot of people here who know me think I am a money-hungry SOB (and they are absolutely correct). Being a business owner in a seasonal business, you do what you feel you have to do. As for me if Sunday is needed (as in this particular week probably), so be it.

I highly doubt that after the deluge of rain we have gotten here in the NE that any of my customers would complain if I show up for 1/2 an hour or so this Sunday. If one does and doesn't understand why I am there, most likely I will have 1 less customer in 06.