PDA

View Full Version : Running Doubles

blublazes
10-09-2005, 11:11 PM
Hey guys, I know leaf season is coming up quickly. I just have a quick question. I have a Grasshopper midmount and I tried putting doubles on it, I was using gator mulchers and factory hi lifts, when i went to engage the clutch, it completely shut the mower down. Anybody have any idea what might be wrong, could they possibly be hitting each other? Anybody with a grasshopper run doubles? Any and all help is greatly appreciated, thanks. Paul

PTP
10-09-2005, 11:50 PM
If you are engaging the blades at a low RPM, that is the problem. The engine is not making enough HP to get all that weight up to speed that quickly.

Try using a higher RPM.

PTP
10-09-2005, 11:51 PM
Just thought of this. Are the grasshopper blades timed? Do they interfere with each other if they are not set right? If this is the case then they very well may be hitting each other and shutting everything down.

white_boyz1
10-09-2005, 11:54 PM
I Have A Grasshopper 718k Front Mount .i Use Doubles And Have The Same Problem A Low Idle Its A Lot Of Weight.try A Higher Rpm It Needs It.

Brianslawn
10-10-2005, 01:01 AM
thats way too much weight and drag for the 18hp engine. just run gators. you prob. can get doubles going with higher rpm, but youll kill your engine a lot quicker.

blublazes
10-10-2005, 05:29 PM
I dont know if the blades are timed or not, every time i put regular blades on i never set them just right, i just bolt them back on and tighten them down. It has been a while since I tried the doubles, but it seems like i had the rpms on up there when i tried it, maybe not though. I guess I will do some experimenting this weekend. Thanks. -Paul

exmark72
10-10-2005, 05:34 PM
if the engine isnt warmed up enough it will die from all the weight

wowlawncare
10-10-2005, 07:06 PM
Yes you need to get it warm and keep your rpm higher. Its turning alot of extra weight. One thing you might try is a lighter blade or one without as much lift. So that its not pushing as much wind. But you will love your double blade cut.

Mark McC
10-10-2005, 10:04 PM
One thing you might try is a lighter blade or one without as much lift.
I have the low lift blades for my eXmark Metro 36 and TTHP 52/19 for spring cutting and the notched high-lift blades for summer mowing. I haven't run doubles yet, but I've often wondered why I would bother with the high lifts when running doubles. After all, I have two blades per spindle to create pressure. I need more pressure?