PDA

View Full Version : New Convertible Mower is great!

indy2tall
10-10-2005, 01:19 AM
I was fortunate to demo the new Convertible mower recently for a week and I can tell you it is a fantastic machine. I will be buying one before the start of next season for sure. I don't have any pictures to post but check out John Gamba's post on this mower for pictures. Besides the obvious benefit of using the mower as a walk behind on steep hills or under low hanging trees I found the controls to be the most responsive and easy to use of any mower I have ever tried out. This was very helpful as we had just had almost 3 inches of rain several days before and many of my yards were still very wet but I didn't have any problems with tire spin. Another big benefit ( at least in my opinion) is that it has a much higher reverse speed than a normal walk behind. I also found it to be very good at not tearing turf on turns. The cut was as good or better than any mower I have tried. To me this mower seems to be the perfect machine for the solo operator (like myself) with limited trailer space who would like to have a rider but knows there will always be times that he still needs his walk behind. The only bad thing I can even come up with is that I had to give it back to them so they could take it to the Expo in Louisville next weekend!

Envy Lawn Service
10-10-2005, 02:31 AM
This is great news and in fact all I'm hearing about this 06 is great news from those who have tried it. I'm adding it to the list of mowers I will consider when it comes time to pick up another.

I've forgotten though, what units will be available?

John Gamba
10-10-2005, 06:51 AM
Indy!!

What deck and engine did you have??? Glad you liked it.

John

DLS1
10-10-2005, 08:18 PM
Does it still have that metal kitchen chair look over the mower for a seat and without any springs to cushion bumps.

Are you going to use this for commercial use? Better get more padding for you rear end. :D

dmc456
10-10-2005, 08:38 PM
I have over 130 hrs on the new setup and it is great. Very smooth ride and will knock it down at 11-12 MPH.

dmc456
10-11-2005, 07:53 PM
I heard the new 61" Convertible is going to be an absolute BEAST!!! I have not seen it yet, but from testing the other models, WOW! And it will be at the show this weekend.

It comes with a 30HP Kohler, cutting at 13MPH, and 24x12x12 drive tires, and weight I'm guessing around 800lbs. Probably one of the highest, if not the highest, HP per pound mowers on the market. Also probably one of the best mowers on the market for weight distribution. Handles hills awesome, very light on the turf, and can go about anywhere in the ZTR mode.

This will be my next mower purchase. Well, I'll probably go for and the 61" w/ the 28HP EFI Kohler engine or diesel to save on gas.

dmc456
10-11-2005, 07:58 PM
Does it still have that metal kitchen chair look over the mower for a seat and without any springs to cushion bumps.

Are you going to use this for commercial use? Better get more padding for you rear end. :D

Well, they do have the suspension seat option just like Hustler. Basically a spring ride (adjustable) like in a semi, but not needed. I thought I was going to get a suspension seat, but when testing the demo it was not needed.

I might get one anyway. I drove one with the seat (not mowing) and it was pretty slick. Just floats.

DLS1
10-11-2005, 09:00 PM
Well, they do have the suspension seat option just like Hustler. Basically a spring ride (adjustable) like in a semi, but not needed. I thought I was going to get a suspension seat, but when testing the demo it was not needed.

I might get one anyway. I drove one with the seat (not mowing) and it was pretty slick. Just floats.

A quick demo of a mower is different from the real world where you don't know what type of bumpy ground you will be mowing. I would get the spring seat if they offer it.

dmc456
10-12-2005, 01:22 PM
I have over 130 hrs on the new setup and it is great. Very smooth ride and will knock it down at 11-12 MPH.

I have done more than a quick demo on the new platform / chassis setup.

indy2tall
10-12-2005, 04:39 PM

The seat no longer sits over the engine and with the spring seat option should make just about anyone happy. I will be using it commercially as I feel it is superior to the Toro, Scag and John Deere hydro mowers I already own.

dmc456
10-13-2005, 06:22 AM
Convertible is going to be another "Quick 36" story with thier new design. I told them they better make sure they have capacity to handle the orders. They assured me they do. They make almost every part except engine, tranny, blades, belts, etc...them selves.

One thing that impressed me with thier production was the fact that their frame is robot welded. Same weld everytime. No operator errors. They just drop the parts in the fixture and it welds everything. Pretty fast, exact, and the same each time. The quality was impressive.

indy2tall
10-18-2005, 09:25 PM
Did any of you try the new model Convertible mower at the Louisville Expo? If so, what did you think? I could find nothing negative and a lot of positives to say about it after using it for a solid week of mowing. High power to weight ratio, great cut, very sensitive and precise controls, reasonable price and the cost saving versatility of having a WB and a rider in the same machine. Just do the math! I can spend 8-10k for a ZTR and another 6k for a quality hydro WB or I can spend about half that total amount and still get the same thing using a Convertible mower.

topdog
10-18-2005, 09:47 PM
i went to the expo, and talked to cathy scott about the mowers (rep).

i have a 2000 48 in convertible. it was my first mower, and i have used it for two years now.

only negatives to it is (my older one) no deck assist lift, and the toggle switch to engage the blades is kinda a pain when your hands are sweaty.

Cathy tole me to bring my mower up this winter to there factory, and they would replace my deck with the newer one with the deck lift for cost.

which imo...is awesome!

the new ones have some pluses that i noticed while at the expo....better tires and seat, moved the gas tank, deck lift, and when on walk behind mode the arm is closer to the rear of the machine for better control and fits in tigther spaces.

now having said all that just so, u know i am not biased, i just shelled out 2 weeks ago $9599.00 on a new 31 hp. 60 inch deck exmark mower.

anyways...just my 2 cents.....i also told cathy that there is a lot of buzz on this site about there mowers, and they should read it sometime.

Envy Lawn Service
10-18-2005, 09:56 PM
indy2tall,

So what's the price range and what's the biggest, baddest one you can get?
Something in a 60" maybe?

ToroLandscaper
10-18-2005, 10:13 PM
I went to the expo this weekend and i noticed them and the deck looked like it wouldnt hold up very well......

rookiemower
10-18-2005, 10:15 PM
i demoed it at expo, and i must say quite impressive. They definitly improved the design. i talked to the owners wife, she was probaly one of the nicest people there (along with the owner of jungle jims) most reps wont talk to me becasue im younger and they think im a tire kicker. They are coming full speed ahead with some impressive improvments, and designs.:waving:

indy2tall
10-18-2005, 11:40 PM
Envy, I think they will have a 61 inch deck with a 30HP Kohler next year and as I understand they are looking at a number of different engine packages which may include 1 or more EFI engines.

Envy Lawn Service
10-18-2005, 11:42 PM
Envy, I think they will have a 61 inch deck with a 30HP Kohler next year and as I understand they are looking at a number of different engine packages which may include 1 or more EFI engines.

Sounds good!

Have you talked money on any of their models yet?

indy2tall
10-19-2005, 10:46 PM
Envy,

We did not talk about specific prices because this model is not on the market yet but I think you can expect them to run between 6 and 8 thousand depending on deck and engine desired. This is only a guess on my part. I was just glad to be able to demo it for a solid week.