PDA

View Full Version : Recoil on 15hp kawi

LawnBoy89
10-10-2005, 01:25 AM
For some reason my recoil isn't recoiling all the way leaving a couple inches sometimes more to bring back. So much grass and leaves always stick to the recil while I'm mowing, what should I do about the recoil not pulling the string all the way back in?

Appalachian landscape
10-10-2005, 01:54 AM
buy a new spring for the recoil. $3.99 from j.thomas.

Restrorob
10-10-2005, 06:23 AM
Springs weaken after a while, If the rope is pulling back in but not all the way all you need to do is re-wind it.

walker-talker
10-10-2005, 09:27 AM
This is the same on my 15hp Kaw, but really has nothing to do with hp or brand. In my case the rope broke and I just tied the rope to the handle where it broke. I still have long enough storke to start the engine, but when I rewound the string I didn't get it rewound far enough. I would try this first and if that doesn't work try a new coil/spring.

Matt

Richard Martin
10-10-2005, 10:13 AM
Your rope is too long!

Just kidding. You just need to add a wind or two like restrorob said.

LawnBoy89
10-10-2005, 11:14 AM
So I just take the cover off and rewind it....I should be able to figure it out thanks guys.

EXspyguy
10-10-2005, 12:04 PM
Most of the time a little wd40 on the sping and a few pulls and it will be back to normal. I wouldn't wind the spring any more than it is, you risk the chance of breaking the spring. If you remove the recoil from the machine and hold it in a normal operating position, you can get the nozzle of the wd40 in above the spring. Then just give her a few pulls. Each pull you should notice the rope going back in further until it's back to normal.

Mower For Less
10-10-2005, 11:37 PM
I put a little preload on the spring before rewinding mine, makes them wind up nice and tight. Not much, just maybe a quarter to half turn of tension is always on the rope, even fully recoiled. Cant put to much or the little starter teeth (?whatever they are called) wont return to their resting position properly. Make sure they return to their seated position. It makes it alot easier to do if you are using a fresh rope, you can leave it a liitle long, and just cut it shorter after it is all wound.

Kevin