PDA

View Full Version : Leaf loader and pampus grass?

walker-talker
10-10-2005, 09:55 AM
As some of you know the two don't work too well with each other. The only real problem I have encountered trying to use the leaf loader sucking pampus grass is that the grass gets caught on the ribs in the intake hose. I thought about taking the hose off and feeding the grass straight into the blower fan, but common sense tells me to not even attempt this. I was thinking of maybe having a 3 or 4 foot piece of PVC or similar smooth intake chute. Somthing safe and that would not allow the grass to get stuck on something. You would feed the grass like using a chipper/shredder. Anyone try this or have comments? The times I have used the loader for this, I never really had problems with grass clogging the loader. The loader I use is a 16hp Lesco.

mcwlandscaping
10-10-2005, 09:59 AM
As i was reading your post that is the exact thing that i thought of even before i got to the part where you told us your idea. Just make it long enough to be safe and easy to take off when you need the hose! Good Luck

Precision
10-10-2005, 04:03 PM
pampus grass

are you talking about he stands that are 4 - 6ft high and the same in diameter and need to be cut down to 2 ft height each year?

And you are wondering the best way to pick up the trimmed off grass?

Here is what I do.

Go to Home depot and buy a bunch of cheap duct tape. Tightly wrap the grass 3-4 inches above your cut line (doesn't have to be too exact). Then use the hedgetrimmer to cut at desired height.

I do this assembly line style. get a helper to hold the grass while you tape it up. Do all of them with the tape, then reverse direction and cut them all to size and have the helper stack the bundles, then drive by and throw them in the truck. If you are good there will be little to no debris remaining.

Nothing complicated, nothing to break, even the dumbest person can help you.