PDA

View Full Version : Stihl BR600 heads up

Richard Martin
10-10-2005, 12:47 PM
Everybody with a Stihl BR600 needs to be extremely careful about the gas cap. I thought I had put mine back on correctly but apparently I did not. 15 minutes after filling my blower it ran out of gas. Hmmm.. that's a lot of gas to use in 15 minutes I thought to myself. I took the blower off and set it on the side of the trailer and went to remove the gas cap. It was already off and dangling by that plastic string. I checked myself and the left side of my pants were covered in gas.

I have emailed Stihl and notified the US CSPC. They need to change this cap before someone gets burned and it's not a matter of if but rather when.

John Gamba
10-10-2005, 01:06 PM
There is a trick to putting it on. I had one come off on my Echo 650 when i rubbed it against the house. I dont think you are going to get the cap off my 600 by doing that. I guess you have to pay attention when it comes to gas caps.

John

Richard Martin
10-10-2005, 01:17 PM
There is a trick to putting it on.

Well, I'm all for tricks to starting their blowers, changing throttle cables (I have a special tool just for the old Stihl blowers), clutches and stuff like that but there shouldn't be a trick to securing a gas cap. I have been badly burned before and this is no joke.

Exmark has paid burn settlements in the past and if Stihl doesn't change this design they will too.

dcplace2004
10-10-2005, 03:35 PM
The cap mechanism twists to lock on...if the thing twists before you put the cap on, it will not lock on properly, so you have to untwist it first and then lock it on...I spilled fuel one time also when it did not lock properly...

dcplace2004
10-10-2005, 03:51 PM
Twist and lock it it will not come off...There needs to be a way for it NOT to twist while the cap is off...There are a few things wrong with the blower but they will get them worked out...let's hope they listen to the consumers...One is putting a metal screw inside a plastic throttle trigger in hopes that the plastic will not eventually get reamed out...I bought a lemon blower and I definitely do not want them to replace my blower cause I will be back to square one with problems..thing is blowing too much smoke (mix is perfect)...thing has lost power...limiter caps screws are broken...I am not sure what the problem is...the dealer could not even adjust the throttle screws properly...per Stihl tech support, the average setting without the limiter caps working is 3.5 complete turns for the High and 2 complete for the low...they set it wrong and it bogged down when I hit the throttle...they still have not figured out why it has lost power and is blowing smoke...I like the BR600 but they need to repair a few things...would it had hurt them financially to put on another forward holder on the tube to hold the throttle snug against the tube? I switched to a low smoke oil because the owner's manual calls for it in all the 4-mix engines and the dealer here seems to be dragging azz on getting the low smoke oil...

John Gamba
10-10-2005, 03:58 PM
Twist and lock it it will not come off...There needs to be a way for it NOT to twist while the cap is off...There are a few things wrong with the blower but they will get them worked out...let's hope they listen to the consumers...One is putting a metal screw inside a plastic throttle trigger in hopes that the plastic will not eventually get reamed out...I bought a lemon blower and I definitely do not want them to replace my blower cause I will be back to square one with problems..thing is blowing too much smoke (mix is perfect)...thing has lost power...limiter caps screws are broken...I am not sure what the problem is...the dealer could not even adjust the throttle screws properly...per Stihl tech support, the average setting without the limiter caps working is 3.5 complete turns for the High and 2 complete for the low...they set it wrong and it bogged down when I hit the throttle...they still have not figured out why it has lost power and is blowing smoke...I like the BR600 but they need to repair a few things...would it had hurt them financially to put on another forward holder on the tube to hold the throttle snug against the tube? I switched to a low smoke oil because the owner's manual calls for it in all the 4-mix engines and the dealer here seems to be dragging azz on getting the low smoke oil...

I use the sthil white container oil with no problems. Just had the blower out today, I think it will blow leaves better then i thought.

DCP___ you need a new Dealer. Go get one if you can.

John

lazer 46
10-10-2005, 04:28 PM
I just demoed a BR600 today and I was impressed. Believe it or not I have a RedMax 8000 and I'm not crazy about it. Lots of power but just plain heavy and uncomfortable. The Stihl seems lighter and more cofortable. I may buy one. It was quiet and I liked the power. It was $459.00. Don't know if that is a good price. Has anybody used the opti-2 oil in the 4mix engines?

mkwl
10-10-2005, 04:36 PM
I think I'll stick to the regular screw-on caps on the older Stihl, Red Max etc. I don't want to get burned! :dizzy:

Richard Martin
10-10-2005, 08:11 PM
Stihl called me this afternoon and wanted the specifics. I told them everything I could about the incident. They then told me that they had been using this same style of cap for several years now on chainsaws and stuff. I told the guy that surely someone else has had this problem before. Much to my surprise he said yes, that they had other reports of the gas cap popping off. He suggested that I take the blower back to my dealer just to make sure there isn't something wrong with the cap or tank.

lawnmaniac883
10-10-2005, 09:36 PM
LOL, same dang thing happens to me all the time with my fs110 trimmer. Lose a helluva lotta gas every time too. I have learned that if you seat the cap, then jiggle it left and right a few times, then lock it, it will go on properly. Its ashame to turn the weed wacker upside down for some flower bed edging and lose 14 oz of gas.

dcplace2004
10-10-2005, 09:50 PM
I did some leaves today and was impressed also...not at all shabby...you can pinpoint the air on this thing instead of the leaves going everywhere...I cleared a pretty large area with ease...it does take some practice to get the leave movement down...being that the power between this machine and the 8000 is probably minimal in difference, I like this one better...can you smell the smoke on yours alot...do your clothes smell like a smokestack afterwards, or is it my machine like I have pointed out before?...regardless of the few issues, I recommend this machine to ANYONE! Stihl will work them out for sure...

dcplace2004
10-10-2005, 09:53 PM
I paid 469.95 plus tax...509.90 total...later...the list on it is 604.33 plus tax...

Guthrie&Co
10-10-2005, 09:59 PM
i have the br 550 and i live it. although i havent had any trouble with the caps coming off.

Lawn-Scapes
10-11-2005, 01:25 AM
I haven't seen the Stihl blower but I'm assuming it has the same cap as the FS110.. where the cap is inset? Flip up thingy where you turn on or off? I've lost a couple of tanks of gas when I thought the thing was secure.

Now.. I triple check it.

topsites
10-11-2005, 02:09 AM
Oh h3ll they ALL do that, doesn't matter what the model, if you forget to put it back on / fail to put it back on right, gas will slosh out FAST. The br420, the br550, they ALL do it, the echos and the husqvarnas and all the rest of them as well... After it rashes your arse a few times, you'll learn like I learned to have a set routine and as part of the routine, you CHECK for gas leaks before you put it on.

Now since you wrote to them, they'll come up with an even more assinine gas cap and surely in the near future we'll see gas-cans with NO hole to make SURE nobody blows it up / leaks it out, does it ever end?

Folks, I'm tired of the goverment forcing child-proof designs on us to supposedly prevent us from being stupid... That is about the most common thing, this gas leak stuff happens to everybody sooner, or later. Why do THEY have to re-design it, how about an idiot-beeper, it BEEP-beep-beep-beeps like a truck in reverse the entire time the gas-cap is off, yeah, the louder the better.

Richard Martin
10-11-2005, 04:22 AM
Topsites, you don't have a clue. What I want you to do is find one of these new style gas caps and see if you can even figure out how to remove it without being told how it works.

I don't want them to come with some fancy gas cap because that's what they have now. Apparently if you don't get it just right then it's really wrong. The old style (like is on the BR420 you mentioned) where you just screw the cap into place would be perfect.

Trucks used to come with gas caps similar to the new Stihl gas cap and there is a reason they switched to screw in caps. Can you figure it out?

If any car being built today came with a gas cap that can just pop off if it's not installed correctly it would be pulled off the road and fast.

John Gamba
10-11-2005, 07:40 AM
this one better...can you smell the smoke on yours alot...do your clothes smell like a smokestack afterwards, or is it my machine like I have pointed out before?...regardless of the few issues, I recommend this machine to ANYONE! Stihl will work them out for sure...

I dont smell nothing at all. I'll see if i can get a pic of it running, maybe you can see theres no smoke.

John

John Gamba
10-24-2005, 05:06 PM
Had to put my cap on twice today and had no problems:) Its all in the wrist:laugh:

John

khutch
10-29-2005, 08:56 AM
Felt my lower back burning one afternoon - Cap had come off and soaked me w/fuel mix. Caused like a 1st degree burn. Very painful. Sure I check cap now.
I also do not like the design - what is the point if spills are more apt to happen because the cap does not get on correctly?

John Gamba
10-29-2005, 09:05 AM
Felt my lower back burning one afternoon - Cap had come off and soaked me w/fuel mix. Caused like a 1st degree burn. Very painful. Sure I check cap now.
I also do not like the design - what is the point if spills are more apt to happen because the cap does not get on correctly?

I had this happen with my Pb650 when i first got it. I rubbed it against the house and it didnt feel good having all that gas running down my leg. I'm very careful about gas caps now.

John

jeffex
08-12-2006, 03:38 PM
I bought my br600 2wks ago and I found some good and bad. I searched many posts on lawnsite in making my decision but my success with stihl br400 and the ease of getting parts and maintenance items with my dealer [redmax t00 far aWAY] WERE THE DECIDING FACTOR. I did however, experience the leaking gas cap while I was blowing debris from a shrub trimming job thurs. Gas was leaking on my back. I had the same thing happen with my br400 but it was 8 yrs. old at the time and I got a new cap. The error may have been on my part and only time will tell but when leaf season comes and many tankfuls are needed I hope its not a problem. R martin did you get any more from stihl on your problem? I do love the ease of start of this machine and the power is good. its nice to be able to talk to a customer without turning it off and having to re-start too. I would buy another one but the gas cap should be bulletproof IMO for F'n $469

CutInEdge Lawn Care
08-12-2006, 05:03 PM
I just bought the br550 2 weeks ago.$399.95 I do have one of each echo and stihl products. So was familar with caps. I now have 4 4-mix units. It keeps me from complaining to help to stop over tigtening caps. Not much worse than a gas bath.

Steppenwolf
08-12-2006, 05:08 PM
Richard Martin,
I had the same thing happen to me on my br600,it was my fault, thought I had it securely locked down as normal,looked like it was but it was just a bit cockeyed.I prefer the older caps but this new design takes a bit of getting used to but really seems to work well.Over all it is one nice blower...just takes a little getting used to.

6'7 330
08-12-2006, 05:23 PM
The caps on the 4-mix units will take a bit of getting used to for either you, or you're employees after operating units with the old style Stihl gas cap.We started the conversion to 4-mix hand helds in 2004, employees pretty much have mastered getting the new type caps seated correctly.As for the BR600, we purchased 3 for 450 each,two months ago. For general purpose and city sized accounts the BR600 fits the bill perfectly, within a cat's ass of our Redmax 8000's in the power department,but much lighter for the employees, and dog nuts better on fuel efficiency. The last test for the BR600 will be to see how it performs when the leaves come tumbling down this fall.

Steppenwolf
08-12-2006, 05:35 PM
Bill 6'7,
I think you will like the way the 600 blows leaves, I used my first one this spring on a job that had no fall clean up,it was still new and not broken yet,they get stronger with a few hours on them,it just put our Stihl 420's to shame.It feels a bit akward at first but if I put a 420 on now,it's like playing with a handheld blower.

Lazer_Z
08-12-2006, 05:40 PM
The caps on the 4-mix units will take a bit of getting used to for either you, or you're employees after operating units with the old style Stihl gas cap.We started the conversion to 4-mix hand helds in 2004, employees pretty much have mastered getting the new type caps seated correctly.As for the BR600, we purchased 3 for 450 each,two months ago. For general purpose and city sized accounts the BR600 fits the bill perfectly, within a cat's ass of our Redmax 8000's in the power department,but much lighter for the employees, and dog nuts better on fuel efficiency. The last test for the BR600 will be to see how it performs when the leaves come tumbling down this fall.
I was thinking the same thing today while using my 600. I think I'll do fine come fall because I've already used it to clear wet leaves from around a storm drain. Yes I know that's not that great of a test but, I must say that I'm very happy with the machine and the power. I am still getting the hang of that gas cap on my blower but I could put the cap on my FC110 with my eyes closed.

Rob

PerennialSuccess
08-12-2006, 07:22 PM
it has happened to me on my BR600 as well, the folding part locked the cap but it popped off while in use and spilled fuel all over the back of my legs.

HenryB
08-12-2006, 07:47 PM
I'd love to say the 600 is almost as strong as the RM 8000 but honestly it's not even close. I wish it were my Stihl dealer is great.

anj
08-13-2006, 04:41 PM
I have the 550 and the same thing has happened to me and my helper. Not only on the blower but all the 4mx equipment have this problem. I double check now before I pick it up after fueling.

prizeprop
08-13-2006, 06:06 PM
remembering back when the gas tank was on top of the motor. thats a fire trap.

Tharrell
08-13-2006, 07:52 PM
I'm sure you guys have it figured out but I want to input another similar problem. Last year when it was really hot, the cap on my trimmer was constantly loose and I wouldn't know about it until I turned it over to edge and fuel poured all over me. This happened again and again. Initially, I thought maybe I hadn't put the cap on good but after so many times I knew it was something else.
I went to my dealer and he said the vent was probably clogged and he gave me a new cap. I went through several caps and none seemed to help.
After a while, the answer came to me. I was filling the fuel to the absolute top and there was no room for expansion in the blistering heat.
I started leaving the fuel neck clear and it hasn't happened since.
Also, I developed a habit that's stuck with me since. I crack the fuel cap everytime I start anything now and sure enough, I'll hear that familiar sound. Sorta like a semi flat soda when opened.

S man
09-04-2006, 01:29 AM
LOL, same dang thing happens to me all the time with my fs110 trimmer. Lose a helluva lotta gas every time too. I have learned that if you seat the cap, then jiggle it left and right a few times, then lock it, it will go on properly. Its ashame to turn the weed wacker upside down for some flower bed edging and lose 14 oz of gas.

After filling up my new km110 I was walking with it to the lawn noticing the cap off and a gas trail. Gotta sit there and make SURE it's actually on!

par69
09-04-2006, 01:58 AM
I have a BR420 that leaked gas out of the cap. The dealer said I needed a new cap. Still leaked. I told them it still leaked and they took in for service. I told them to not spend much money on it. If to much I'll buy a new one. $150 later it still leaked. I did notice that it did it on hot days. But it does it with even a half a tank.

I did buy a BR600. I like it but with all the airflow its a workout. Its not that its heavy. Its just a man's size blower. And yes I am a MAN! lol

REALSLOW
09-04-2006, 08:58 AM
I'd love to say the 600 is almost as strong as the RM 8000 but honestly it's not even close. I wish it were my Stihl dealer is great. I have found with the 8000 you do not even have to pay attention to how you are blowing to get the job done. The bigger air nozzle can cover such a wider area when blowing. Is the 600 close to the 8000 in blowing or isn't it. For small res anything will work but for big commercial I am blown away by how fast a 8000 is, no need for a street blower.

Richard Martin
09-04-2006, 09:02 AM
R martin did you get any more from stihl on your problem?

Stihl blew me off. They did have a rep call me from the factory and he did acknowledge that they have had reports of problems with the cap but he also said that they have been using the same style cap for quite a few years now without any serious problems (a.k.a. lawsuits). I believe that as more and more homeowners get their hands on these dangerous caps Stihl will start to have problems with lawsuits.

A gas cap isn't something you should have to learn how to install properly. There is a great and real potential for a tragedy to occur with this cap and Stihl should change it. If we were dealing with a funky gas cap that would leak if not installed properly on an automobile this cap would have never made it to market.

Just Mow
09-04-2006, 10:54 AM
I just demoed a BR600 today and I was impressed. Believe it or not I have a RedMax 8000 and I'm not crazy about it. Lots of power but just plain heavy and uncomfortable. The Stihl seems lighter and more cofortable. I may buy one. It was quiet and I liked the power. It was $459.00. Don't know if that is a good price. Has anybody used the opti-2 oil in the 4mix engines?

Try the Stihl HP Ultra synthetic oil.

dcplace2004
09-04-2006, 12:49 PM
There is a triangular part of the gas cap on the white part that fits down into the notch of the tank...if that triangle is in the notch, the cap is on correctly...if you look and that is not the case, then the cap is not secured...this is the best cap on the market right now if put on correctly...Go ahead and try Echo's brainless design and you'll see what I mean...

fulano
09-04-2006, 01:31 PM
I have a couple stihl products with the new design fuel cap. It doesn't leak when put on properly. It isn't stihls fault they have morons trying to use their products. People like you is why companys have to put lettering on plastic bags warning against suffocation.

S man
09-04-2006, 03:45 PM
The redmax cap, I think is the best. I have never had any leaks whatsoever with over a year of use from it.

anj
09-04-2006, 04:08 PM
You Would Have To Look Real Close To Notice If The Triangle Was In The Slot. I Dont Think That Makes Anyone A Moron. I Have Had This Same Thing Happen To Me With The 4mx Blower And 4mx Weedeater. You Stick The Cap On Turn It Think Its Locked And You Pick The Equipment Up And You Have Gas All Over You. I Just Double Check The Cap After Fueling And I Tell Anyone Working With Me To Do The Same Thing.

S man
09-04-2006, 04:09 PM
Aside from getting the gas on you, it's too expensive to be waisting.

anj
09-04-2006, 04:33 PM
You See How Much Gas The 550 Or 600 Hold?

kmann
09-04-2006, 04:41 PM
Stihl called me this afternoon and wanted the specifics. I told them everything I could about the incident. They then told me that they had been using this same style of cap for several years now on chainsaws and stuff. I told the guy that surely someone else has had this problem before. Much to my surprise he said yes, that they had other reports of the gas cap popping off. He suggested that I take the blower back to my dealer just to make sure there isn't something wrong with the cap or tank.
Once you put the cap on, try pulling it off. If not secure it will come off. I can tell by the twist if it is secure when put back on.

6'7 330
09-04-2006, 04:53 PM
You See How Much Gas The 550 Or 600 Hold?

According the the Stihl manual, 47,3 oz. It appears to be light less then an OZ. to make a 3 pint tank capacity. The Sthil BR600 is very fuel efficient, even during the break-in period, we have have been very pleased with the fuel efficiency, and with the blowers wee purchased.

S man
09-08-2006, 08:48 PM
According the the Stihl manual, 47,3 oz. It appears to be light less then an OZ. to make a 3 pint tank capacity. The Sthil BR600 is very fuel efficient, even during the break-in period, we have have been very pleased with the fuel efficiency, and with the blowers wee purchased.

I thought you stopped doing landscaping Bill?

burns60
09-09-2006, 01:01 AM
Have also had the cap to not seat properly and lose gas on the fs100. Very scary when you think about having your leg drenched with gas. They really should consider a recall on these tanks. I say the tank because there is no way you could design another cap with the configuration they have to screw this cap on. They would just have to replace the tank.

Everyone who has experienced this problem should "post up" and let Sthil know. I am quite sure they are reading these post concerning these caps and their potential liability to the industry.

And I'm not saying that the fault is not with the one putting the cap on, because obviously it is, but it just shouldn't be this easy to make this mistake.