PDA

View Full Version : NEW DUMP TRUCK (new to me)

start2finish
10-10-2005, 07:54 PM
We bought this two weeks ago.
93 Kenworth W900 with a 12.7 detroit 450/475 hp
30 foot dump trailer tri-axle 40 cubic yards

ToroLandscaper
10-10-2005, 08:20 PM
DANG that suckers huge....how many miles Also is that a bobcat you have in the back of it or am i just trippin lol
Also if you dont mind me askin how much was that bad boy (you dont have to answer if you dont want its cool)

start2finish
10-10-2005, 08:34 PM
yes thats a bobcat in the back a S250. This was taken in a truck checkin line in New Orleans last week. We went down there to help clean up. Well that story is another topic. As you see we are back home. This was purchased intending on fulfilling our contract to haul storm debris. Well politics screwed that up. We will use it at home now.

DBL
10-10-2005, 09:42 PM
he says new dump truck and im thinking ok an f350 or 450 but he comes out with the REAL dump truck

Itsgottobegreen
10-11-2005, 06:18 PM
I was going to say. That look like a hurricane clean up setup. Hope you can afford to keep it.

Gravel Rat
10-12-2005, 12:28 AM
That is a good set up for hauling debris not really good for making residential deliveries. Most end dump (tub trailers) around here are used for hauling large amounts of material to be stock piled or hauling scrap steel etc.

I imagine there will be lots of work hauling debris in the hurricane ravaged sites but is there any money in it ?

What would work good with that trailer would be a 150 or a 200 sized excavator (track hoe) with a digging bucket and hydraulic thumb or a brush rack and thumb. It wouldn't take long to get the trailer loaded and it will be easy to sort the load and fit it into the trailer evenly so it doesn't jam up when dumping it.

One company in the area hauls sewage sludge in their end dump talk about stink :laugh:

Potomac Lawns Inc.
10-13-2005, 07:38 PM
so what did happen with the storm clean-up ?

start2finish
10-13-2005, 11:45 PM
Went to New Orleans with a contract to perform debris removal. The contract is more or less certifying your insurance and several imdemnity clases and such. Well we got our trucks inspected and were told to report the next morning for a work order/"grid"area. The next morning we were told that there were no more areas to work. Minority crews seemed to dominate the working crews. I do not wish to offend anyone I am just stating my honest observations. I am not whining about this it was a business decesion that did not go well. Not a rash one but planned as best we could. Having said that Jesse Jackson and his entorouge are prancing about. He was raving about too many hispanic people and not enough blacks from New Orleans working. How he was going to bus in 10,000 people and we were to pay $16.00 an hour for a man to hold a stop sign and direct traffic. Not in this lifetime and that feeling echoed with the other contractors. People the people of New Orleans do not have the vast amount of equipment that is waiting ready that argueably is needed to complete this job in a timely fashion. Tens of millions of cubic yards of debris waiting to be cleaned up. There is millions and millions of dollars of equipment sitting idle. I have pictures(daytime) of one staging area for this. Well afrter several days of sitting waiting on an area. We finally became discusted with the whole situation and returned to North Carolina. Seven nights on the road. $3500.00 in fuel later. Motel bills, generator ruined, camper wiring/airconditioner/power source ruined flat tires and 75+ hours of billed labor to us. Three man crew. NO WORK AT ALL DONE!! just many expenses. Guys I didn't intend on getting rich on this. It was something that needed to be done and a moderate profit in doing such. The main draw to us was 7 days a week 12-16 hours a day for as long as we could stand it. Maybe a month or two.. Home now didn't go good, but we are taking this in stride and working hard to bury this venture. I will still do storm work, but I will be cautious about the politics that may be involved.

Gravel Rat
10-14-2005, 02:16 AM
With a end dump trailer like that maybe you could get on a contract hauling scrap steel or moving large amounts of gravel from a pit to a site etc. With the scrap steel market being so high right now I imagine there is alot of material being moved around to smelter sites.

You will find work you just want to be paid by the hour like a regular dump truck. The last time I heard the rate on end dumps here was 150 dollars per hour a regular dump truck is upto 75 per hour.

twj721
10-15-2005, 03:44 AM
is the end dump trailer a fixed frame or frameless if it is a framed trailer becareful wher you try to dump cause it will tip over berfore you can say oh sh** Here in the Arlatex area everybody uses a 37 ft Frameless because of bridge law plus the frameless is a lot lighter than the frame style trailer sure miss hauling the ARK sex stones here in Texas we just call them f***ing rocks
what trans do you have in the KW a 15 spd would be great behind the Detroit esp if you had 3:55 or 3:73 rears one of them triple didget trucks definitely what I would call a left lane large car goo looking set up looks like a Frehauf trailer Good luck and happy trucking

start2finish
10-15-2005, 04:29 PM
It is a framed trailer and it is funny you mention tipping over because the framed trailers have a better reputation around here for stability. the length of the trailer is close to 40 feet from the kingpin back. the dump body it self is 30 feet. but there's a extension ahead of the hoist I believe the trailer may have been a "self-contained unit" with a pony motor originally. It is a wet line fed from the tractor now though. And with the tri-axle setup we easily get our 80,000. The tare is a little high but we can net 24 ton with 100 gallons of fuel. (1/2 full)
the tractor has a 13 speed, tops out around 80mph thats fast enough for me.

Gravel Rat
10-16-2005, 05:18 PM
You actually want a slightly heavier box anyhow especially if you are hauling debris and you get hoe operators that are a little rough. If you were going to be hauling light stuff like topsoil or mulch etc you don't want a heavy box.

If you had that set up here you could easily get 30-35 ton payload as our max gross here is 140,000lbs. Most regular truck tractors like that are licensed for 110,000lb.

start2finish
10-16-2005, 08:43 PM
wow. I knew they let coal trucks haul heavy, but I was unaware of the extra weight in BC

Gravel Rat
10-17-2005, 12:55 AM
A loaded B train can haul 90,000lbs of stuff like I said our legal gross is 140,000lbs you can get permits to haul more. Most gravel haulers using a tandem truck and a tandem axle pup can haul 50,000lbs of product if they used a tridem axle pup they can haul 60,000lbs.

hosejockey2002
10-18-2005, 11:09 PM
A lot of states are limited to 80,000. Here in Washington you can gross up to 105,500 with four axles on the truck and four on the trailer. I think that works out to around 65,000 pounds payload depending on tare weights.