PDA

View Full Version : Prep for sod have a question

cleancutccl
10-10-2005, 11:30 PM
I have a kubota 3830 that i picked up last week. I have a box blade on the back of it. Usually when preparing a new area for sod that has weeds or grass on it already i rent a tiller, will my box blade with the teeth down give me the same outcome, of course with more time involved, or should I rent a 3 pt tiller?

PurpHaze
10-10-2005, 11:58 PM
I have a kubota 3830 that i picked up last week. I have a box blade on the back of it. Usually when preparing a new area for sod that has weeds or grass on it already i rent a tiller, will my box blade with the teeth down give me the same outcome, of course with more time involved, or should I rent a 3 pt tiller?

In my personal experience dealing with sports fields the rippers on your box will leave a "checkerboard" effect if seeding. However, you state you'll be sodding but you'll still want good contact with the soil. If you don't rip the soil enough and thoroughly you may end up with settling where the tines have gone in and high hard spots where missed. If you box the area good afterwards and pack the depressions well enough you might not have sod settling into the depressions.