PDA

View Full Version : Anybody else's 4-mix smelling of strong smoke...

dcplace2004
10-11-2005, 12:51 AM
like mine...when I get done with the BR600 my clothes smell like I swam in some burned-up wood--in fact, it is hard to breathe around it at times...is it normal for this thing to emit smoke like it is?...it has a plume of smoke at startup and the smoke smell is pretty strong with normal operation...I don't get this with my FS110R trimmer...I like the blower but think I got a lemon...

dcplace2004
10-11-2005, 02:44 PM
If so, I have a lemon...anyone that has the BR600, are you experiencing smoke and such?...I may have a lemon and need to get it replaced or serviced...

John Gamba
10-11-2005, 03:01 PM
Dcp
Today using the 600 i did have very little exhaust smell(no smoke) but the air was very still. It went away when a breeze came by. I dont smell like the exhust.
John

newmanfan
10-11-2005, 04:20 PM
I have a 600, and have had no problems with it. Check your air cleaner and mix ratio. As far as I know, this is a good engine for Stihl, and has less emitions than the conventional 2-stroke.

John Gamba
10-11-2005, 04:31 PM
I have a 600, and have had no problems with it. Check your air cleaner and mix ratio. As far as I know, this is a good engine for Stihl, and has less emitions than the conventional 2-stroke.

I still think you need a carb. I think you got a bad carb from the beginning. See what a new carb cost(not a rebuild kit) if its not too much get it and try it out.

John

Richard Martin
10-11-2005, 05:52 PM
With the exception of my gas cap issue my BR600 has been perfect. What kind and ratio of oil are you using? We have finicky gas here so I am using Shindaiwa ONE oil mixed at 50:1 for the winter.

John Gamba
10-11-2005, 06:16 PM
With the exception of my gas cap issue my BR600 has been perfect. What kind and ratio of oil are you using? We have finicky gas here so I am using Shindaiwa ONE oil mixed at 50:1 for the winter.

I think i'm using 50-1. I'll check tomorrow

John

dcplace2004
10-12-2005, 01:06 AM
I was using the Stihl high performance but the owners manual states to use LOW SMOKE oil in all its 4-mix engines...I had to call Stihl to get the dealer to order in low smoke...I called cause an employee told me that I would have to order 8 cases of 2.5 gallon mix oil which is 48 bottles of the low smoke cause they did not order it...I said "yeah, right", then called Stihl on that one...the echo seems to be better on smoke, but my goodness do I smell like a smokestack after this thing...I know I am not imagining things cause the 110 trimmer does none of this...if I find out that something is wrong with the carb or something else like that I want a new blower...it is ridiculous to buy something for half a thousand dollars and it be broke dik from the get-go...fudge!!!!!!!!!!!! I will say that the power level decreased as these problems arose...the dealer will be getting the unit once it gets too cold...
I cannot wait to take that badboy out after a snow and blow the powder off the vehicles instead of using that stupid brush (my garage is packed with too much junk)...What a cool use that is for the blower...also, snow on the sidewalks...use this thing for snow removal as long as the snow is not too wet...

jgc8fan
10-12-2005, 01:25 AM
Did you follow the break in schedule in the manual... No full power until you've run two full tanks of fuel through her? We have changed most of our gear out for Stihl, and have followed the break in for each, and had no troubles. We used 1/2 to 3/4 throttle for the week it took to get through two tankfuls (it was winter or we'd have broke it in in two days).

Also... On the blower are you using the choke??? If you choke and it actually starts they flood almost instantly. Done it twice, and each time lost power as well as smoke till it cleared the carb out. My start up procedure changed after that. Choke... Two pulls... Engine sputters... Choke off... One pull, and she starts up.

lawnboy dan
10-15-2005, 09:18 PM
this is why i am sticking with my old 2 cyc equiptment for as long as i can .i want all the bugs to be worked out by the time i am draged kicking and screeming to the new lousy 4 stroke stuff. hey i see some one else has a comm jd 21 mower -awesume mower!

lawnboy dan
10-15-2005, 09:40 PM
this is why i am sticking with my old 2 cyc equiptment for as long as i can .i want all the bugs to be worked out by the time i am draged kicking and screeming to the new lousy 4 stroke stuff. hey i see some one else has a comm jd 21 mower -awesume mower!

jgc8fan
10-15-2005, 11:14 PM
hey i see some one else has a comm jd 21 mower -awesume mower!

It used to be... JD JS-63C... The casters are bent now, and the drive is slipping bad. I was gonna pay the $40 for new casters, but it's my partner's mower, and he's leaving the biz at the end of this year. Then I'm buying one of the new Honda HRX with blade brake, and hydro transmission.

I mostly want the clip director... Got one customer that is anal about bagging, and only using 21" on his lawn. Was just mulching till he caught me one day. With the clip director I can bag half and mulch half, and he won't have a clue. :)