PDA

View Full Version : End Of The Year Decision

DAZ982500
10-11-2005, 10:01 AM
I currently have a GS30 JD 36" wb and TORO 44" TBAR wb.Both machines serve there purpose.I went by the dealer the other day and looked at a SCAG 48" Hydro wb, he came out and said I have had this for a couple of years and want to find a home for it I will sell for 4k.This is a new machine he said I will let you take it out and cut a lawn with it , which I will due here in the next few days.In order for this to happen I will need to sell both these machines and run with the scag and the 21 inch mower.NO back machinee going into next year.Several thoughts are running around, one both of my current machines are paided for.Second,I am always trying to keep my overhead as low as possible and manage my debt,i.e. this is threason why I am selling both of these.I purchased alot of new equipment this year for good reasons.Is this machine that much better than say the Toro and is the hydro worth the additional expense at this time.Plowing season is coming up an I am thinking about these expenses and accounts now,but I make more money in the summer than I do in the winter unless we get some killer stormspayup .Anyway responses on this mower would be appreciated as well as from business standpoint would be helpfull too.My accounts 25 small -med lots. fair amount of trimmimg.Another thought is maybe I should save money by ZERO down the road.I am 44 not as easy as someone 24.Thanks Dave.

bobcatnj
10-11-2005, 12:34 PM
get a belt driven mower. i will lower your cost of the mower and less to fix than the hydro.4 grand sounds high for a 48in walkbehind. try to find a used one over the winter and sell your other 2

RedWingsDet
10-11-2005, 12:39 PM
I would use what you have to end the year. Sell the equipment after you cut your last lawn this year. Save the money, and next year get a Z... this way, incase we dont get alot of snow, you dont have to worry about that 4k you spent on a machine. and if we get alot of snow, you'll have that much extra cash to spend on a sweet mower + money in your pocket. IMO, it'd be silly to buy a new mower when theres only a few more weeks left and let it sit all winter and have its value on the new mower depreciate..

Runner
10-11-2005, 12:39 PM
I agree that 4 grand sounds like alot for a 48"wb that is a couple of years old. Not only this, but 48 from a 44 is NOT that much of an upgrade...especially to be losing a backup mower in the process.

MTR
10-11-2005, 04:05 PM
I currently have a GS30 JD 36" wb and TORO 44" TBAR wb.Both machines serve there purpose.I went by the dealer the other day and looked at a SCAG 48" Hydro wb, he came out and said I have had this for a couple of years and want to find a home for it I will sell for 4k.This is a new machine he said I will let you take it out and cut a lawn with it , which I will due here in the next few days.In order for this to happen I will need to sell both these machines and run with the scag and the 21 inch mower.NO back machinee going into next year.Several thoughts are running around, one both of my current machines are paided for.Second,I am always trying to keep my overhead as low as possible and manage my debt,i.e. this is threason why I am selling both of these.I purchased alot of new equipment this year for good reasons.Is this machine that much better than say the Toro and is the hydro worth the additional expense at this time.Plowing season is coming up an I am thinking about these expenses and accounts now,but I make more money in the summer than I do in the winter unless we get some killer stormspayup .Anyway responses on this mower would be appreciated as well as from business standpoint would be helpfull too.My accounts 25 small -med lots. fair amount of trimmimg.Another thought is maybe I should save money by ZERO down the road.I am 44 not as easy as someone 24.Thanks Dave.

from 36" to 44" to 48"? all wb? get 1 z and you are done upgrading. A 48" hydro walk is good but to match against a 48" Z is another another story. 6mph vs 9mph is a huge difference, standing vs sitting. Whatever hydro walk does, the Z will double that productivity cause you are not fatigued.

TURF DOCTOR
10-11-2005, 04:08 PM
2005 scag hydro with electric start are 4950 here.

Brianslawn
10-11-2005, 04:29 PM
forget all those WB's. walker 18hp and 48" deck. 25 yards... lets just say 2 of us can do that in 6 hrs (with commute time), or 1 person in a day and a half.

Dashunde
10-11-2005, 06:47 PM
That dealer is trying to take you.
$4k on a 2 year old leftover is way too much.
Offer him $3k, he just might take it.
Get him to think of it in terms of 25% off, instead of a grand off.

You sure your work is big enough for a Z? Are you in a hilly area?
You'll still wish you had a smaller wb at some point.

Check out a Stander? It might be a good compromise between a Z and wb, and smaller than both in length (wb w/ sulky).

Buy at the end of this season if you find a dealer who wants to deal to keep from sitting on stuff through the winter... you might save a lot in the long run.

mikefromny
10-11-2005, 07:37 PM
how much u plan on selling your previous mowers im in the new york area..got a price on em`? what part of ny?