PDA

View Full Version : 2004 or 2005?

nate1422
10-11-2005, 12:18 PM
I have a 2004 ExMark Metro 48", pistol grips with 15 hp kawasaki. I have the opportunity to even up trade for a used 2005 Metro 48" with 2 wheel velke attachment and ECS grips with the 15 hp Kohler. Is it a wash with the engines or is there one better than the other, any drawbacks? Personally I like the ECS grips and was in the market for a stand-on so this solves that problem.

Runner
10-11-2005, 12:43 PM
Why aren't red flags popping up all over? HeLLO!!!! Why is this guy willing to trade his 1 year newer, ECS equipped AND a two wheeled velky for a one year older, pistol gripped machine withOUT a velky?
Can you say rigged up engine ready to go??? there is SOMEthing wrong with this equation.

nate1422
10-11-2005, 01:05 PM
I bought the 2004 2 months ago, very low hours, from the same dealer that now has this newer piece. A guy bought a 60" lazer and the 48" metro but then never really used the metro so he is selling it on consignment at this dealer, they are a reputable dealer in the area. Currently there is the exmark sulky on it, they will put that on my machine to sell and I would get a 2 wheeled Velke, even up trade. If I kept the sulky, I would owe some extra $$

With that info, still sound like a bad idea to trade or would I be okay? I am going to look at this today and run it, maybe the rain will hold off.

Maitland Man
10-11-2005, 01:09 PM
if you like the controls.....get it. The other guy probably didn't like the controls. Although the pistol grip puts my hands through their limits....it's all I use.........no t-bar, handlebar, or ecs garbage here.....old school all the way!

nate1422
10-11-2005, 01:13 PM
First day I used the pistols, I ripped up my hands, blisters everywhere. I never used a walk-behind so I had a death grip on the thing. Since then I tamed down my grip. It was the operator presence levers that did me in.

Cigarcop
10-11-2005, 01:38 PM
I have machines with both grips, and personally the pistol grips are rough on the hands but I like them better than ECS.

Nate, I'm around the corner from you and working home today if you'd like to run the machine. PM (personal message for #) me if so then you'll know for yourself without feeling the pressure of the dealer.

nate1422
10-11-2005, 01:54 PM
So you probably know the dealer I speak of, actually you probably buy there if you have Exmark. And working at home today, why aren't you mowing....oh that's right, 6" of water and still counting!!!!!! It's nuts.

I am going to go and see the machine and see how it runs. I stopped by Sat. and saw it but I was not about to inspect the machine. I will check it out today. Do you have the Kohler engines on your equipment. I like the kawasaki, it runs super smooth and I really like my machine a lot. This other unit will have to win me over for sure, so if I have any doubts, it will be a no go.

Cigarcop
10-11-2005, 01:56 PM
My machines all have Kawasakis.

nate1422
10-11-2005, 02:03 PM
You could have at least lied to me and said you have a kohler and kawasaki and they are both good. I want to see how this things runs tonight, we'll go from there. What equipment are you running??

Cigarcop
10-11-2005, 02:05 PM
Exmarks, you are more than welcome to come run them around the yard all are hydraulic driven.

Cigarcop
10-11-2005, 02:06 PM
I did have an older Ferris at one point with a Kohler on it and never had any problems, other than it was a heavy tank.

nate1422
10-11-2005, 02:18 PM
If I came and ran your equipment, I suspect I wouldn't be trading up to a 48" metro, probably closer to a turf tracer, bad news right now. Thanks for the offer. Anyway, thanks for all the info, I will let you know how things turn out.

TLS
10-11-2005, 02:36 PM
Nate,

Personally, I'd stick with the current model. While you'd be stepping up to a year newer mower, the engines are totally different.

The Kohler is a one cylinder 426cc engine.

While your Kawi is a TWO cylinder 431cc engine.

They're both pretty equal in torque, but for me....I'd prefer a two cylinder anyday over a single.

Second is the ECS vs Pistol grips.

It's really whatever you get used to. Yes, pistols will develop blisters, especially when the operator safety levers are intact.

But I've heard the ECS isn't all that great on the belt drive mowers.

Sulkey's in general get old real quick. Especially on a belt drive. Personally, I wouldn't use one unless your mowing over an acre (wide open and flat) with it at a time.

nate1422
10-11-2005, 02:56 PM
You just saved me a trip and saved my a$$. I assumed the Kohler was a twin cylinder. I definitely am not going to go to a single as I do prefer the twin, they are quieter and smoother in my not so professional opinion. Also, my yard is all incline in front but the back is flat. I was planning to walk the front all the time and then zip around the back. As for customers, still haven't worked on that part of the equation but it's in the works so I do not know what size lawns I will service.

Anyway thanks. So that's a wrap, sticking with the current metro. If it ever gets dryer I will try the new set-up to see if I still have the clogging issues.

In your blog, you mention on the belt drives. How is the ECS different on the hydros? If you pull all the way back you get reverse?

TLS
10-11-2005, 03:01 PM
On the hydro's with ECS, your pulling a lot less with your fingers. With belt ECS your still pulling the same weight as you do on your pistol grips.

Please though, make sure whatever you do, get NEW, OEM eXmark high lift blades for it.

TLS
10-11-2005, 03:02 PM
If you pull all the way back you get reverse?

Not on a belt drive, but I think you know that.

nate1422
10-11-2005, 03:12 PM
I'm getting new blades. I sharpened my blades but after looking at the exmark blog on here showing their blades, there is a lot of metal missing. Actually, I don't even think they are exmark blades that I have on the machine.

Do you run a mulching unit? I would like to get a mulching kit if I figure out this clogging, but think I have that nailed down to the blades.

TLS
10-11-2005, 03:27 PM
You mention blog....Am I missing something on Lawnsite? I didn't know we had a blog here.

nate1422
10-11-2005, 03:31 PM
If you go down to the Exmark logo, there is a posting that has pictures of the different blades available for a 48" metro. the shape of my blades doesn't look close to any of those posted there.

Thanks again for the info, you're a big help.

TLS
10-11-2005, 03:57 PM
Gotcha....thats the old eXmark section of Lawnsite. Darn shame it ended. This was nice for networking with exmark factory reps.