PDA

View Full Version : Its your fault my yard has weeds, says pita!

QualityLawnCare4u
10-11-2005, 01:45 PM
Last spring I posted an article about a yard I had gotten from a hag that had the "god of lawn care" doing her yard and he could do no wrong. Except he would not show up for 2 months sometimes. The lady has been the worst pita I ever had, none bared:realmad: Last week she called the county agent to come look at her yard and shrubbery. She told me today that he told her it was my fault that her yard had so many weeds because I was not bagging it every time. I told her that her yard had weeds when I started and that I bagged it every other time like I said I would and that it made no difference until the yard was treated she would have weeds. She told me that when the "god of lawn care did it she never had weeds like that. I told her the weeds were the same every since I have done it. I was getting very angry and I turned and left since I knew what was fixing to happen. Before I walked told her if she did not trust me she needed to get her other guy back. Last time I was there she complained that I was not putting straw around the trees like the other guy did and I did not clean the street/vacuum in front of her house either. I did that today (will bill her husband extra since he told me to do her extra s--t that way and not tell her) and it took me an extra hour and a half. I'm so tired of hearing about the other guy I feel inferior.I also told her the other guy did not bag but windrowed it and then raked it which is about the same as mulching. Weeds ain't going away by just bagging but could not convince her, still was my fault now she has to pay to get rid of them because of me:angry: I don't like to drop someone on the spot until I cool off but she is getting the call this afternoon to make sure she understood what I said about getting the other guy. Only bad thing is I got her daughters yard next door and she has been no problem but will probably loose it. Don't give a squat, it ain't worth it!

The Captain
10-11-2005, 02:57 PM
Why are you still doing this property? Are you on good terms with her daughter? By that I mean, does the daughter think you do good work and not have any complaints. She grew up with her mother and probably understands what's going on with the old lady. (She probably knows why the "Lawn God" hasn't been back also. I'd have a chat with her. Explain what you doing for her mom and how you feel about the potential of loosing her (the daughter) as a client. Otherwise I agree. Drop the mom like a rock. You can make more doing less for someone else.

Jim

Nosmo
10-11-2005, 03:00 PM
I wouldn't put up with that PITA's constant complaining about my work and how great the last guy was. Life is too short for that abuse.

Nosmo

lawnguyland
10-11-2005, 03:08 PM
Holy crap those people are stupid and piss me off too.
I just got back from talking to a soon to be ex customer about the stupid plastic wheels on her hammock that broke and she will" be deducting from the bill" I, of course, being the landscaper broke them when I moved the hammock stand to mow. I might have, and not noticed and told her fine, I'll pay for the wheels, but that they were cheap crappy plastic wheels to which she took offense and said " nothing in my house is cheap" and got real upset (loser). They are cheap plastic wheels and shouldn't last forever, but whatever, they cost like 10$ max at Lowes (ummm, cheap, right?). Aggravating enough, but then she said I must have broken her butterfly bush by throwing her kids toys across the lawn. Pure bullshiznet. I didn't do it. If you know anything about Buddleia- they split sometimes if not pruned correctly in spring if they get too top heavy from being wet, or even in wind. I was there today and told her to look out the back window at the bush which was all drooped over to the ground from being wet. She is a moron. complete moron and that was the last branch that broke the camel's toe. She's done. Don't care if I lose the mother in law either (only reason she's lasted this long). Friggin kids toys everywhere, minimum service package=GOODBYE. Have fun figuring out that I'm never coming back and never calling you either. Have fun with the 5 amigos. Ugggggh. Can't stand stupidity.

bobbygedd
10-11-2005, 03:26 PM
oh but, dear me, you don't want her talking bad about you. i think you should settle down, and drop by with a fruit basket, and a written apology.

Brianslawn
10-11-2005, 03:44 PM
$10 plastic wheels at lowes are a fortune to some people....

yes, i agree with bobby, take the old b*tch a fruit basket and a letter of appoligy describing how terribly sorry you are that she has to be such a burden on society. that should calm her down so you can part on good terms.

befnme
10-11-2005, 03:57 PM
you can take her a fruit basket if you wish like bobby said just let it set in the sun for about a week and rot before you give it too her :laugh:

lawnguyland
10-11-2005, 04:24 PM
$10 plastic wheels at lowes are a fortune to some people....

yes, i agree with bobby, take the old b*tch a fruit basket and a letter of appoligy describing how terribly sorry you are that she has to be such a burden on society. that should calm her down so you can part on good terms.
The house is about 800$K. I'm talking cheap an in POS, flimsy plastic inexpensive crap. That's why I told her fine, take the 10$ off no biggie.

The fruit baskets will contain poison apples and nuts. Cause she's nuts.

Na na na na , na na na na , hey hey hey, gooood bye!

For the record, I will be poisoning no one.

Brianslawn
10-11-2005, 04:34 PM
no snow white story..... come on........... poison her. lol!!!!

Na na na na , na na na na , hey hey hey, gooood bye!

John Gamba
10-11-2005, 04:41 PM
no snow white story..... come on........... poison her. lol!!!!

!

Put it in the fruit:eek:

lawnguyland
10-11-2005, 05:05 PM
Put it in the fruit:eek:
Y'all make sure you read the rest of this thread so you know what he's talking about, otherwise you might get some silly ideas!

topsites
10-11-2005, 05:07 PM
I hear you guys... THIS is the reason why I am not responsible for anything broken in the yard. For the right customer, I'll replace anything that was my fault AND I remember doing it but what happens is we run into the pita who automatically assumes anything broken is OUR fault regardless and oh sure we gotta pay for it... I got tired of this crap sometime during my 1st-2nd year.

It's weird, I hate being partial with rules but the simple fact is someone is always trying to take advantage of us... For those who are not doing that, I have no problems, I really don't even need rules for the good guys...

As a great example, I get tired of record-keeping at times... Sometimes I let things go a month or two at a time without worrying about who paid and who didn't, and lo and behold at the end of the year I notice little to NO discrepancies that shouldn't be there. See, with the right customers, they don't try and take advantage of me, not even when I'm not paying attention.
They get the same courtesy in return when I THINK they have not paid but they THINK they did, I let it go at that...But, you can't do this with just anybody and it is another reason why to me, the regular customer is treated like gold (as ppls who TRY and take advantage of me don't last very long).

Sometimes with the crazies (i.e.: MY weeds are YOUR fault) it can be a one-time thing, all of us lose our minds a bit somedays... I can let it go so long it's a once in a blue moon affair... If it becomes a regular thing, watch out.

lawnguyland
10-11-2005, 05:38 PM
What topsites said is right on.

Runner
10-11-2005, 05:52 PM
that was the last branch that broke the camel's toe.

:laugh: Now THAT'S a new one! Camel's toe??? :rolleyes:

Dashunde
10-11-2005, 06:30 PM
Dont give her anything, be done with the hag...

Call the daughter and make certain she is happy with your work and wants to keep you, THEN explain the situation you have with her mom.
The daughter may already know her mom is a pita and may not give a shart about moms bellyachin'.

olderthandirt
10-11-2005, 06:53 PM
Send the daughter a sympathy card on the loss of her mother:D

Send the other pita a get well soon card:waving:

lawnguyland
10-11-2005, 07:23 PM
:laugh: Now THAT'S a new one! Camel's toe??? :rolleyes:
It just came to me in a moment of brilliance, I'm glad you liked it!

QualityLawnCare4u
10-11-2005, 08:38 PM
I forgot to add the lady had a some instructions she got from the county agent about putting out atrazine and 2-4D but be careful with the atrazine because it could kill her flowers. I told her I was not licensed to put out chemicals yet but knew someone I could get to do it (3 step program). She snapped at me "its to late now, youve already let it get to bad". I guess it really toasted me that she called the county agent because Im to stupid to know about any yard maintainance:angry: Tonight I was in a fast food joint and ran into another LCO who bags every yard regardless and asked him if would like a new client. When I gave him the hags address and name he said "H-ll no! I know that old bag! I saw her cuss her husband out in a church parking lot in the worst language Ive ever heard come from a ladies mouth. She has not got enough money for me to do her yard!" Her husband has thanked me more than once for "putting up with his wifes s--t". That should have been a good warning sign. She and one more have been on my list to replace for awhile as I picked up new accounts. Now there is one left:D

Nosmo
10-11-2005, 09:43 PM
I believe I would at least say something to the husband who it seems like is a decent guy but has that load of bricks hung around his neck. Just tell him you are moving on and he can probably guess why.

Nosmo

MowerMoney
10-11-2005, 11:03 PM
It must be your fault. I also had (notice I say "had", past tense) a customer, an elderly widow, who claimed that her yard was being taken over by bent grass and it was my fault because I didn't bag it enough. The lawn was also brown this year because my mower was too heavy. (nothing to do with no rain for 10 weeks and temperatures near 100 everyday)

jgc8fan
10-11-2005, 11:58 PM
Send her a letter stating that you are raising your prices to almost double. Let her dump you, and the most she can say to others is that you're too expensive.

We just did this to a guy a couple weeks ago. We've been doing just his front yard (mean psyco dog in back), and he got rid of the dog then chewed us out for not doing the backyard (for the same price). I left a letter on his door stating the new price (actually only raised it $10) to include the back yard. Haven't heard from him since.

QualityLawnCare4u
10-12-2005, 12:23 AM
It must be your fault. I also had (notice I say "had", past tense) a customer, an elderly widow, who claimed that her yard was being taken over by bent grass and it was my fault because I didn't bag it enough. The lawn was also brown this year because my mower was too heavy. (nothing to do with no rain for 10 weeks and temperatures near 100 everyday)

Yep, you are right, it is our fault:D not!! I actually would like to find where the god of lawn care is and let hime have her back, they deserve each other.

QualityLawnCare4u
10-12-2005, 07:22 AM
Quick question, do you think I should call the county agent and asked him if he told the lady this and find out if he/she is telling the truth. Dont like the idea of a man my tax money pays critisizing my work but he may not have said that, but knowing him is possible.

GreenUtah
10-12-2005, 12:13 PM
I would not only call him, but if he DID tell her that it was your fault (for not bagging, possibly the stupidest thing I've ever heard) I would ask him to back up that statement, for surely the only time weed seeds ever entered that yard was wehn you mowed, right? Every time you step on the property, the wind blows, flocks of birds and animals rush to the property, irrigation water or runoff full of seed spews forth like a volcano, etc. etc., right? Anyone who doesn't take any action against weeds in their turf not only loses the right to ***** about it, they actually deserve a weed farm.

sheshovel
10-12-2005, 02:33 PM
Lawnguyland..YOU should not be moving anything off the lawns you mow and if you do you need to have it in writing that you are not responsible for damage to items left on the lawn and charge xtra for that service.... ,Period.
But you should not have to do it at all.The customer should be responsible for having the lawn free of obstructions on the day you mow.

SodKing
10-12-2005, 02:37 PM
Quick question, do you think I should call the county agent and asked him if he told the lady this and find out if he/she is telling the truth. Dont like the idea of a man my tax money pays critisizing my work but he may not have said that, but knowing him is possible.

I would certainly call him...If he says yes, he's an idiot.